BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Matau, no. The grey is like the black parts on the Toa Mata.
Lewa though, yes. He either just forgot, or two shades of green is fine (in which case, I would allow teal as a secondary).

2 Likes

This is just speculation but, considering most other characters up for canonization in this list are still alive/active in these forms in ā€œpresent dayā€, and some like the TYQ gang, Marendar, and the GSB have only been seen post 2010, Iā€™d assume the version of tuyet being canonized is tuyet as she looks in ā€œpresent dayā€, so without the nui stone shards in her chest, with the stone itself as an optional accessory. I suppose weā€™ll have to wait for her contest to know if TTV makes an official clarification on that though.

2 Likes

This is the worst option IMO, itā€™s going to be very unbalanced if some entries have it and some donā€™t.

This is why I say it should be included in the Art. Moc, it can be optional, but it MUST be in the final art (kinda like how Hagah can have placeholder shields that must be Hagah shields in the art)

1 Like

Greg: gives not one, but two examples of what he means by ā€œjust greenā€.

Fans: ā€œwait that doesnā€™t make sense Iā€™m confusedā€.

Adding fragments seems a bit too tedious for a MOC, yeah.

However, question should be asked - Which Tuyet are we depicting? Her current form? Because thatā€™s the standard weā€™ve been given with characters like Artakha or Helryx. And if so, the Nui Stone would not be broken.

After all, neither Matau nor Lewa is dual-colored, so why would any other Toa of Air be?

So this does pose issues the more I think about it. Yes, Lewa is two-toned. Matau also has the grey however that can be argued not part of his color scheme - but the grey is just as prominent as say, the lime green in Hahli Mahri, so would a tertiary color be allowed?.. Further more - Kongu Inika flat out is green and silver, and Lesovikk also has some pieces of silver. Thus, Toa of Air not being silver isnā€™t really true to begin with. :confused:

4 Likes
Slightly off-topic thing

I do understand that (though coming from the opposing side most of the time, I donā€™t disagree that my understanding is a bit clouded compared to people that thought the debating was pointless). I just think TTV should try to present themselves as politely as possible, to encourage people to do the same, and to preserve the reputation of the contests. If that means being more liberal with bans (provided people are given warning), maybe thatā€™s a win-win.

On the subject of Tuyet, something I didnā€™t post a while ago regarding the Metru build debate:

No, I donā€™t think it should be mandated that she use a Metru build. However I do think a lot of people will favour a Metru build because they will want to pose her next to Lhikan. So I guess be prepared for a few dissenters.

1 Like

Artakha and helryx havenā€™t changed much throughout the centuries. If someone wants to go for the shards look, I donā€™t see why that would be an issue, it just depends on the timeline.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a genuine question: why do people want so badly to see her with the shattered stone?

The only time we see her in the story with the broken stone (that isnā€™t a fake) is two paragraphs in The Many Deaths of Toa Tuyet. The vast majority of her appearances have the intact stone.

That said, since it is popular for some reason, hereā€™s a proposal I just came up with:

Hold two art contests. The first portrays her with the intact Stone, and the second with the shards in her armor. (they would have to be separate because one would decide the mask shape, just like Helryx).

Both of them are also mutated/unnatural transformations. But even if silver can be part of a Toa of Airā€¦ Nidhiki is ā€œjust greenā€. Just like how, even though bronze/gold is part of Iron colors, Zaria is only Burnt orange and gunmetal.

2 Likes

I feel like it would be made simpler if all the contests canonise the most recent depiction of the character (characters like Nidhiki being an exception, obviously).

And I feel like as soon as we know what the full Stone looks like, weā€™ll know what the shattered Stone looks like. No need to canonise both.

1 Like

Official Greg Discussion | Page 100
3. You also said Nidhiki was all-green, and not Silver/Green. Wouldnā€™t the latter be more logical, seeing as Lhikan is Gold/Red?
3) Nope. Because Nidhiki didnā€™t come from the same place Lhikan did, so no reason he would need to be dual-colored like Lhikan. After all, neither Matau nor Lewa is dual-colored, so why would any other Toa of Air be?

Official Greg Dialogue | Page 136
3) About the toa mangai, did each toa come from a different island, or did certain members come from the same island. For example: ā€˜ā€˜the four toa of ice came from the same islandā€™ā€™. Or was it more like ā€œthe four toa of ice each came from a different islandā€?
3) It is certainly possible that some of the Toa came from the same island or region

Official Greg Dialogue | Page 296
2. If youā€™ve decided, is Lhikanā€™s golden armor something he was given, like the Toa Hagahā€™s armor?
2a. If yes, did he receive it for protecting Metru Nui from the Kanohi Dragon, or another time?
2b. If yes, do you picture the other Toa Mangai to have similar metallic armor?
2) I have not pictured it as something he was rewarded with.

Chat with Greg Farshtey | Page 281
Speaking of Naho (and the other Toa Mangai for that matter), did their armor look similar to Lhikanā€™s, or did everyone have a different design? (judging from the fact that other toa teams have similar armor) Would you be able to confirm which masks they wore/what elements they controlled?
2) At this point I havenā€™t given any thought to what masks or powers they had. But it is reasonable to assume that their armor would have looked like Lhikanā€™s.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s any strong argument to mandate Nidhiki and Tuyet be Metru-builds.

Artakha: This is why he had the hammer, because thatā€™s what he was wielding when we saw him in the story.
Helryx: Her ā€œfrailā€ appareance came from being worn and experienced.

I donā€™t think ā€œmetallic greyā€ was referring to gunmetal in specific, but both gunmetal and silver.

3 Likes

Honestly I think that would just look cool :man_shrugging:

1 Like

(checks BS01)
Correction: Heā€™s not gold/bronze. Apparently Silver isnā€™t listed separately from gunmetal. My mistake.

1 Like

If I had to guess, Iā€™d say because its dramatic and evocative. Which is just a long way of saying: it looks cool.

2 Likes

If Perp3tual enters the art portion, I know heā€™ll add concept pieces of her with the shattered version.

4 Likes

I didnā€™t know Lhikanā€™s golden armor was nature. so interesting! :grinning:
(My guess was that since he was not a member of Hagah, it was probably natural, but I had no proof)

2 Likes

I think we should add the Stone. I mean, itā€™s just a rock, so how hard could it be to make a representation of it?

2 Likes

I think Lhikanā€™s armour is canonically yellow, which is a native Fire colour. Though Jaller has gold in Toa form too. Either gold is actually a native colour to Fire, Jallerā€™s armour is canonically yellow as well (guess he kept his colour scheme after all), or itā€™s just detachable armour like the Toa Nuvaā€™s. @Wolk will probably know which is correct.

1 Like

Itā€™d look cooler than water toa #155 but holding a red ball

6 Likes

The only reason I propose doing both is because people clearly want to see it. And I can understand that it is an interesting visual. But yeah, if weā€™re going to do just one art depiction of the Nui Stone, it should be the Stoneā€™s appearance in 95% of itā€™s ā€œscreen timeā€.

Secret fourth option: Jallerā€™s colors are abnormal because he was transformed into a Toa abnormally.

2 Likes

Sorry, I donā€™t think so. because Greg said so.
(I understand that he tends to write stories and is less concerned with appearance, and I know that sometimes ignoring his references is necessary for the birth of a great design, but I tend to respect what he says as a ā€œstandardā€ for interpreting and researching things. Off course, as a resalt of ā€œignoringā€, if a great design get birthed, I will not to deny it! :wink:)

and about coloring, I tend to tolerate ā€œnot-so-weird, but slightly fashionable and canonā€ colors like Matoran Nuparuā€™s orange, Onepuā€™s purple, or Matoroā€™s sand blue, so gold is fine instead of yellow.

Set_Toa_LhikanJaller_Inika

(I understand that itā€™s a special transformation and that the gold shades are different, but I love the fact that Jaller inherited Lhikanā€™s Gold + Darkred colors when he became Toa Inika. Though he lost gold when he transformed into Mahri)

(And perhaps, this is where I get weird. I tend to ā€œlook at it as a ā€˜possible caseā€™ or canon if the example has been run even onceā€, even though I remember almost all of each Elemental color that Greg proposed)

3 Likes