BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I also believe that Lesovikk had Silver from the first, but I think that is irrelevant to Greg’s explicit statement that Nidhiki does not have Silver.

1 Like

That’s what a big part of staying canon-compliant is all about. :wink:

No, this would be a case of things changing since the lore was still developing.

For example, Greg also said before the first movie came out that he doesn’t think the Ussanui flies. in the movie it flew. Thus word of Greg was invalidated by things happening in the future.

For the rest, Wolk just summarized it:

I’ve said it before: people looking for interpretations to create contradictions that aren’t there is a problem. It’s unfair to Greg, and it’s unfair to the community.

Does it matter why he said that? Does it matter if his statement of “air Toa are just green” is contradicted later? (And so far, it isn’t)

No. He said that Nidhiki is just green. Nothing contradicts that. Therefore, it’s canon.

9 Likes

Kongu and Lesovikk’s color were didn’t contradict Greg’s saying.
because their color has no relationship to Greg’s saying about Nidhiki’s.

Inika jaller has gold, but Mata Tahu hadn’t. This is fact.
And Kongu has Silver, and Greg said that Nidhiki hadn’t silver.
but he never said “Nidhiki had Silver”. Never.
Even did say “No” the questioner’s asking.
I think this is very clear.

6 Likes

Being canon compliant means guessing and having opinions?

I really can’t believe this is a debate being had. We did Metru torso, we did corpulent Gaaki, we did all the ones that got banned from discussion because of vitriol. And now we’re debating whether No means No.

Nidhiki isn’t green and silver. How do we know? Greg said no. Twice. And when TTV clarifies with him when the contest rolls around, he’ll say it a third time. Having silver on him at this point is an opinion formed off of, like Winger said, reading between the lines and not the lines themselves. It’s headcanon-compliant.

10 Likes

Keep in mind Greg doesn’t (stated by himself) visualize characters.

Therefore, the quote can indeed be read as “Nidhiki is purely green because that is the colour of Toa of Air.” Which is not valid anymore.

Yes, that a reason of I built two Nidhiki.

This is “canon” contest.
For that important, I sealed my own headcanon(silver and green), and completely draw a new design for Greg and character’s integrity.

7 Likes

Let’s look a teensy bit closer at this interpretation.

“Nidhiki is purely green”

Which means… he isn’t green + something else. The reason for the decision may be faulty, but the decision stands. When he said “No, he’s just green.” And separated that from the rest of the sentence with a period, I think he meant that he’s just green.

No silver, no gold, no turquoise, no chrome. Just green. That’s canon. It doesn’t matter if the next year included a set that may or may not also defy the rules about silver (or add to the ridiculous rules of mutation), he hasn’t ever made any contrary comment in regards to Nidhiki’s color, and he specified the lack of silver Twice.

He’s green.

4 Likes

Yet Greg felt the need to add a “He’s a Toa of Air”. What would that be if not the explanation for the previous statement?

With the explanation no longer being valid, neither is the statement.

1 Like

Stop. Just stop.

Nidhiki isn’t silver. No matter the reason Greg mentioned. That’s not to debate, just because we consider all Greg’s statements to be canon, no matter why those are this way, unless something isn’t consistent with more solid sources like sets, in that case only that specific something should be treated as non-canon, not the whole treatment

2 Likes

This argument is pointless. Greg said, in no uncertain terms, that Nidhiki is pretty much all green. I don’t think making his scythe or one small section of his armor silver necessarily breaks that, but regardless of why Greg said it, he explicitly said that Nidhiki is green with “no significant” amount of silver.

12 Likes

Also it’s to debate if Nidhiki can really use things like turquoise or other green common colors, but I think that they should be allowed just due to being common air colors, all of those may be seen as green

2 Likes

Okay, this is starting to peeve me. Were you not talking about canon compliance the other day? Why does canon compliance matter when it comes to ending the contest, but not when Greg says “no, Nidhiki is just green, not silver.” His reasoning can be anything. We don’t get to pick apart his reasoning. Yeah, sometimes he says stupid stuff, but he is still the arbiter of canon. Nothing has contradicted the statement “Nidhiki is not silver”. Not Lesovikk having silver, not Kongu Inika having silver, not Lewa Phantoka having grey and silver. You bring up the Ussanui flying, but that was contradicted in the text. He said he didn’t think it would fly, but it flew, that was a contradiction and the movie takes precedence. But Toa Nidhiki has never been depicted with, described as having, or portrayed with silver armor, and Greg says he does not have silver. There is nothing in all of canon that contradicts that fact.

14 Likes

Maybe you are forgetting one important thing: you are not Greg.
I think it is guaranteed from Greg’s statement that Nidhiki is green.
But this guarantee that Greg’s words are “not valid” is devil’s proof.

If you want to ploof this word are no longer valid, You must directly ask to Greg.
And If you did and got answer, I will no hesitate to change my think.

9 Likes

A logical process?

“Just like every other Toa of Air thus far, he does not contain any natural silver.” That’s not an explanation, it’s reasoning.

Unfortunately that’s not how Greg answering questions works. The Shadowed One is a mammal because he breathes air. That’s the most inane, stupid possible reasoning and answer to the question.

But he’s a mammal now.

We can’t cherry-pick the answers we want simply because Greg sometimes uses really, really bad logic. Unless they blatantly defy something already in existence (like when Greg said a Kahu and a Gukko were the same exact animal and chose not to change his answer when it was pointed out to him they clearly were not) or something else Greg has already said, we have to accept what he puts forth.

You’re welcome to make your Nidhiki silver. But it’s not canon, it’s headcanon. And that’s fine.

9 Likes

It’s not about interpretation, it’s about the context.

Frankly though, I don’t care to argue on this. Him not having silver doesn’t contradict anything so it’s not worth the fight.

This is … true. But the “context” is your interpretation.

1 Like

That is my point. The sets devalidate Greg’s reasoning. Toa of Air can be silver as shown with Kongu and Lesovikk.

Furthermore, mutated Nidhiki also is silver, which of course does not devalidate the reasoning given by Greg, but can be laid out as supportive material for a silver/green Nidhiki based on Toa of Air being able to be silver+green.

Canon-compliance is taking what is given and interpreting it. As explained, due to me seeing Greg’s explanation as faulty, silver-green Toa Nidhiki is possible in my eyes. There is no need for him being silver-green, but it is possible.

Now you are adding words to this which are not in the first quote, though. And the second quote is directly disproven by Kongu and Lesovikk in regards to colour.

Whether the correct term in English is explanation or reasoning doesn’t matter, because whatever it is is faulty.

I could reason “Every plant species has green leaves because that aligns with my personal experience”. Yet when I then see one with red or purple leaves, my reasoning is void and my statement false.

To use your example, then, does that mean that all of the plants you have seen before that point now have red and purple leaves? He may have reasoned that Toa of Air don’t have silver armor, but the statement was “Nidhiki is not silver”. That would be like saying “this plant has green leaves, just like all other plants.” If you see a red-leafed plant, that does not mean that the plant you previously described as green is now red.

3 Likes

Sure, great, Toa of Air can be silver. The reasoning that you say Greg gave in “Nidhiki is not silver. He’s a Toa of Air” is invalidated.

Doesn’t change the fact that Nidhiki is not silver.

10 Likes