BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

From how you described Head-Canon and Fanon, plus some supplemental research of my own, I’m glad I’ve gone down the route of ZERO canon character involvement in my OCs’ stories. Yikes. Thanks for the clarification, even if my brains are mush now.

1 Like

Remember that the only reason the Artakha contest wasn’t allowed to depict the Staff of Artakha was because Artakha was never once seen using it. Likewise, the Helryx contest specified that they were aiming for Helryx as she appeared in the present in an attempt to discourage people from building really buff models and saying “It’s just her in her prime!”, which didn’t work because they didn’t have rules.

There is basically no reason to mandate that Tuyet not have both sword and Nui Stone, as she was depicted using both at various points in her life, and with both at the same time in Dark Mirror. And while it’s possible that that DM Tuyet changed her appearance compared Prime Tuyet, there’s no indication whether she did or not.

3 Likes

Was hoping someone would make that joke.

This is a good question, actually. For the contest rules, should we go with a hardline rule of “must have a Barbed Broadsword”, or should we go the same route as BS01, with “Unknown weapon”?

3 Likes

Just mandate a Broadsword. Otherwise people will complain about the entries “not adhering to canon”.

Yeah, for Barbed Broadsword, many MOCist will disassemble Jetrax and Thornatus.

In fact, I’m a little worried about Barbed Broadsword because it make her look too evil.

3 Likes

BIONICLE’s design team often portrays the appearance of the so-called “villains” characters as how they are, so I’m not too adverse to this.
However, if there is any reassuring example, I personally think that Lewa phantoka’s Air Saber also has a pretty “felonious” appearance and might fit the BB. :wink:

2 Likes

I would agree if Tuyet were any other element, but a “barbed” broadsword seems to fit a Toa of Water, IMO

1 Like

I think we’d have to go with unknown weapon, because there’s no concrete evidence that Prime Tuyet has a Barbed Broadsword.

Except, barring future input from Greg, a Tuyet without a broadsword does adhere to canon.

I will add, though, that, from a speculative perspective, I believe that Greg intended for Prime Tuyet to have the same weapon as her Dark Mirror counterpart. Going through the Greg Archives, I’ve seen a few quotes that said Tuyet’s weapon would be revealed in the serials. It was originally promised to be in Into The Darkness, but that didn’t happen, so I suspect that Dark Mirror was intended to be the long-awaited reveal.

Plus, there’s the reference to a “slashing” attack in Reign of Shadows; although, as @Willess12 pointed out, she was likely unarmed at the time and this is just an example of Greg forgetting which characters have what, it still shows that he saw her as having a sword.

Now, there’s still no confirmed canon example of Prime Tuyet wielding a Barbed Broadsword. I don’t think that any of this is conclusive enough to mandate a sword, but it’s still worth considering. Maybe TTV could get a confirmation from Greg, although there’s no telling how much of this behind-the-scenes stuff he remembers.

2 Likes

So I’m worried. We haven’t really seen villain Toa yet.

Ironically, I felt the impression of villain from Toa Mahri Nuparu.
because volitak looks like an evil skeleton excessively

1 Like

Oh I see, this is fact :worried:

I know that. You know that. But how many other fans would know, or care?

As you point out, it’s quite likely Greg meant for the BarB to be her main weapon. If a Tuyet with any other weapon was allowed to enter or even win, there will be people calling out the contests for ignoring canon, ignoring Greg’s intentions, etc.

1 Like

All right, speaking of Barbed Broadsword,
What do you think her sword looks like? I think Greg intended this shape.

I always imagined the barbs on the sides. I imagine a lot of people are going to use Krika’s blades for her weapons.

2 Likes

Just prohibit a Broadsword. Otherwise people will complain about the entries “not adhering to canon”.

this is a joke I repeat this is a joke

3 Likes

Yes, I agree.
Custom blades are very difficult to make.
3D printing restricts too many people.
I think that’s the most reasonable parts.

reason I told this joke…

If I make a Tuyet moc, I’m just gonna give her the sword.

2 Likes

I doubt it. Something like that would be a slashing weapon, if used as a weapon at all. A barbed broadsword would be something with cutouts on both sides of the blade, used in a stabbing motion. The backstroke would then be what the barbs were for, inflicting more damage via a tearing effect.

1 Like

So, I just realized: there is one other weapon that is described as “barb” in Bionicle.

I think this gives us an idea of what “barbed” might mean for Bionicle.

8 Likes

What does Tuyet’s “Barbed Broadsword” look like?
A sword with curved barbs coming out of the sides, so that when you pull it out you do more damage

It’s heavily implied that the barbs should be pointed down towards the handle, which is how they do more damage, but pretty much every custom sword for Tuyet I’ve seen doesn’t do this, nor are the barbs usually curved.

7 Likes

quick somebody figure out a way to incorporate that into the barbed broadsword

2 Likes