BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Idk I feel like it still fits the special ops vibe of the Volitak.

I imagine that Toa using the Volitak have spec ops intent in mind when using it. Fits his sneaky nature

5 Likes

Everything that Jerminator and Takutanuva said, combined with the umpteen times Greg said that the Mahri masks are the standard forms of those masks, sans visors and tubes, and that Nidhiki wears said standard Volitak. And if you want textual evidence, thereā€™s the fact that Mazeka wears an identical Volitak, sans visor and tubes.

5 Likes

Interesting. I never thought of this. You guys mightā€™ve actually swayed my opinion on the mask.

Wellā€¦ the whole reason I even suggested it is because I wanted to get rid of the rebreather for my entry but I donā€™t know how to 3D model lol.

Lemme reword that. This is likely one of the aquatic elements.

1 Like

The model of the Volitak exists, but itā€™s not public. If there ever is another bio pack, it will likely be in there. when it is, itā€™ll be very easy to remove the rebreather

3 Likes

Canā€™t be. Mazeka wears an unmodified, non-aquatic Volitak.

6 Likes

That only says the OoMN didnā€™t modify it, not that it was unmodified.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s up with this radio silence is there any word from anyone on the contest?

Nope. I think I speak for everyone when I say that itā€™d be nice if they gave us a small update instead of leaving us in the dark, but what can ya do? Weā€™ll just have to be patient, I suppose.

Eljayā€™s been doing non-contest-related things on twitter, though, so at least he didnā€™t fall through a ceiling again :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

Ah, true. Thereā€™ve been some quotes posted further up that heavily imply that the mask has that attachment, though. Mazekaā€™s being unmodified by the OOMN is just one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle.

2 Likes

Well, there is a Greg quote that explains the discrepancyā€¦ /s

I do /hj

This replyā€™s not a joke - good. Iā€™ve stated this a lot because I think it captures the spirit of the contests well: these are not MOC contests. It is unequivocally not about what MOC looks the best, it is about which is the best depiction of a character in canon. If an entry is spectacular in its craftsmanship and appearance, but it doesnā€™t adhere to canon, it definitely should be shot down.

9 Likes

ahhh, itā€™s a very important question.

Are these tire part connections considered to violate contest rules?
tire part stretches for a while to connect. While passing through ball joint.
but, since it is rubber, there seems to be no permanent damage.

2 Likes

No. You are allowed to use this technique.

Techniques are only considered to be illegal if they hold the piece in a deformed position; temporarily deforming the piece to attach it is not illegal, or else every ball joint and Technic pin connection would be illegal. Even Sahmadā€™s model requires temporary deformation of his sword to connect it to the Glatorian hand.

And besides, even if the technique was illegal, thatā€™s still allowed in these contests:

(I could have sworn there was a post where Eljay specifically allowed the use of tires, but I canā€™t seem to find it)

5 Likes

Iā€™m nearly positive that this would be fine. Tires for filler is such a hugely commonplace technique that it would be utterly absurd for it to be against the rules.

to be fair, that particular tire piece (itā€™s possible the stiffest small tire) on a CCBS bone does technically hold the piece deformed.

But like itā€™s rubber. Even lego has done that.

7 Likes

Thank both. I can complete her leg now.

1 Like

I guess all the discussion here has me asking, ā€œwhat is the point of this community?ā€

Are we just a glorified Reddit where we talk about how much we love Bonkle?

Are we an art forum of a sort?

Do we just relive the Bonkle glory days or are we somehow shaping the future of the series?

Do we somehow gatekeep the fandom here?

I do not have a definitive answer. Personally, my pipe dream is for Bionicle to be like pre-Disney era Star Wars community, where we have novels and other works (like Mocs) expanding the universe. The G3 story is an interesting idea and I hope it will be one of many contributions to this world we all fan over.

As an addendum to my previous comment, itā€™d also be nice if someone could figure out what Christian Faber intends with Biovival and his multitudinous cryptic posts. I am fairly uninformed and frankly, somewhat confused on this matter.

Itā€™d be important to figure out the IP stuff too. Are Christian and Greg prevented from doing more by the Lego company? I am not expecting a published book or licensed media for Bionicle anytime soon, but I also want the franchise to live on, even if only informally.

*edit: thanks for fixing that, I was unaware that doubly posting wasnā€™t allowed

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

3 Likes

Iā€™m pretty certain that Biovival is him trying to creatively spark the community. The theme belongs to us, really, since LEGO is not using it. We can create our own BIONICLE stories without buying them from LEGO.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not so sure about that. Fans have investment in a theme, but that doesnā€™t equate to ownership. Just looking through the last five days of posts on this topic, I feel like we hijacked BIONICLE and are in waaaay too deep now.

2 Likes

I think what K means is that we, the community, are the ones who decide what kind of content gets created for this line going forward. Legoā€™s doing nothing, so every character design, every story told, is ours until they start contributing again. We collectively finish the stories Lego never did, and bring new ones to lightā€“in a sense, following Vakamaā€™s advice at the end of WoS. Yeah, we hijacked it, but if we didnā€™t, itā€™d just be forgotten.

15 Likes

I sā€™pose that makes sense, but is there such a thing as going too far with this sort of thing? Not that I want BIONICLE to be forgotten, but I donā€™t really want it to get dragged out endlessly eitherā€¦ canon kind of loses its shine for me when we fans adopt its creation for lack of ā€œofficialā€ content. Though collaborative worldbuilding is decently cool too.

3 Likes

There are other things to do than canon contests. For example, thereā€™s Myths and Legacy, who are hosting some really good fanfiction set believably in the BIONICLE universe. Thereā€™s also Red Star Games, who develop several tabletop games based on BIONICLE as well as create 3D-printable masks. Thereā€™s also the two very-well-known 2001 games being developed, Quest for Mata Nui and Masks of Power. And thereā€™s more to explore. Something Iā€™ve been hearing a lot recently is ā€œplease no more 01 nostalgia baitā€ - thereā€™s market space for a game based on Metru Nui, or the Ignition trilogy, or even an original story surrounding new, custom Toa. The point is that the direction of BIONICLE is now in the hands of the community, and we donā€™t need corporate validation for that. We can love our theme without buying it.

15 Likes