BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I mean, sure, you could keep the chest armor silver, but it does kinda stand out against all the green.

1 Like

I was brainstorming what to do for Tuyet and was wondering whatā€™s the plan for her art contest?

I feel like for 99% of characters itā€™d be required to do the main universe, but for Tuyet it feels like the stuff with Dark Mirror is her most iconic arc and I think a lot of people (+me) would really like to do something with that.

Another option Iā€™m wondering is on the table or not is a sort of collage. Tuyet kinda has something different going on in every story she appears in- serial killer, empress, nui stone shards, alternate dimensional prison, and even being a zombie. So I was also tossing around the possibility of combining all of those versions into a single piece. It might be a tad too ambitious so itā€™s not my first choice, but still wanted to consider it and see if itā€™d even be allowed.

Edit: ā€œversionsā€ not ā€œaspects,ā€ Iā€™m not planning on making some freakish hybrid of them

1 Like

The reason I chose a silver chest is the lore and text seemed to back it up, as his chest was never mutated, or mentioned to be mutated by the Shadowed One. Currently if I change it to Green Iā€™ll be using the theory above that the Mata Green armor was reverted back to itā€™s base silver color by the mutation. Plus the Mata Green adds to the whole dangerous or poisonous animals have bright colors to tell others to stay away.

I think that the contest should allow for other versions to be shown, but you have to have a base Tuyet. That way you donā€™t get a situation of the before and after picture looking vastly different. As for Nui Stone and Zombie, this is new waters as no canon contest characters have had this many alternate forms.
Also figured I should mention this, Chromastoneā€™s Crystals make for pretty good Nui Stone shards

2 Likes

The prime universe Tuyet looks the same as DM Tuyet. Or did you mean the background and scenery?

Pretty much, yeah. I figure Iā€™m going to do some kind of throne room or something for DM Tuyet if I can which would not really align at all with her in the prime universe. Maybe drop some references to story beats in DM in the background if I can commit to doing that version

1 Like

I think youā€™re misinterpreting this rule. Rule 4c just means you canā€™t enter a moc, then go back and change it later. You can put whatever alternative designs or weapon wielding in the entry topic that you want (Many people showed Helryx and Artakha with their weapons on their backs) just so long as you specify which photo is your entry photo. Rule 4c just says you canā€™t alter the entry design.

2 Likes

You know, for being incredibly pertinent to these contests, thereā€™s a remarkably miniscule amount of advertising for this event thatā€™s tomorrow. Nothing on Mask of Destiny or TTVā€™s Twitters, nothing on TTVā€™s YouTube channel. I know Iā€™d never hear of it if it werenā€™t for Tarkurā€™s posts here. So, was this information released by mistake, or is the assumption that everyone does Discord?

3 Likes

I donā€™t know, the screenshot of the announcement I posted got taken down, so I donā€™t know if itā€™s fake news or a hoax or some board conduct I broke but I feel like TTV would have made an official statement by now on the matter if it was super important or they just let MoD handle the promoting I guess.

As far as I know I know essentially nothing myself. They may record it and its potentially about reworking the contest management is what Iā€™ve heard. However that is about it, I donā€™t know if this is accurate tho.

1 Like

MoD is calling TTV out on their failures and ttv donā€™t want anyone to know about it because theyā€™re ashamed.

Source: dude, trust me. My uncle works at Lego ā€“ I mean TTV

1 Like

For starters, thatā€™s not quite what Rule 4c is about; that rule is moreso to prevent people from changing their main entry after itā€™s been reviewed and accepted, rather than preventing alternate builds in the optional photos.

As for your actual question, I donā€™t see why it shouldnā€™t be allowed. The important thing is that the entry photo and the mandatory breakdown and turnaround photos have the same ā€œofficialā€ build. If you want to include additional photos of alternate configurations or poses to show off the versatility of your build, thatā€™s allowed, even if they arenā€™t considered ā€œofficialā€.

I personally disagree. For me, Tuyetā€™s most important arc is the one with the Nui Stone, and she makes 2-3 appearances in the story over the course of this arc, first in The Many Deaths Of Toa Tuyet, and later in Reign Of Shadows. I would also argue that zombie-alternate-Tuyet also counts as an appearance for the sake of this contest, because, unlike Dark Mirror Tuyet, we actually know that this Tuyet looked the same as Prime Tuyet; the replacement plot wouldnā€™t have worked if she didnā€™t.

For mine, I accidentally managed to work the Minecraft spider eye print into her torso, and I think it works really well:

To me, they do a better job of showing ā€œmicroscopicā€ crystals than any separate piece. I just with I could have worked them into the build in at least one other spot.

Obviously it (probably) wonā€™t be allowed in the main entry photos, but I think the option is a nice ā€œfeatureā€, just like the Kanohi-wearing Lariska discussed above.

3 Likes

The reason the image was removed was because it contained a discord link. As far as Iā€™m aware the event is real

5 Likes

Yeah they work much better for the small shards. Maybe for the Zombie Tuyet you could modify her slightly to make better connection points?Also another cool pic could be Matoro using his mask to raise the parts out of the sand

For those wondering about the event, thereā€™s still time to ask questions via this Google Form. It will be held tomorrow at 5:00 pm CST in the r/BionicleLego Discord server, and will be recorded and posted to YouTube.

3 Likes

can we ask any question relating to the contests, or are we supposed to focus on a certain aspect of the contests?

Phew, I donā€™t have to stay up until after midnight.

1 Like

Is it being livestreamed, or just recorded?

Just as a quick FYI to clear up any misconceptions, we havenā€™t gone out of our way to ā€œadvertiseā€ it because it really isnā€™t anything weā€™ve had a hand in organizing. Mask of Destiny reached out with another proposal about the contests and the future handling of them, and they asked to discuss it with us in a public venue for the sake of what I can only guess is transparency. We agreed, but we didnā€™t really want to do anything super formal like a text conversation where we trade essays and walls of text back and forth for hours (because personally that just sounds aggravating with so many disparate voices), so we asked that it be a voice call instead so we can be more personable and have a real conversation with each other. They agreed, but asked whether there could be a text-based chat commentary of people listening in and also a Q&A section after the talk is over. We said that was fine.

Any efforts to turn this into a production of sorts, or a video, or a sort of formal Q&A event and/or community feedback panel is squarely being done by Mask of Destiny. Iā€™m not saying thatā€™s a bad thing or to try and disparage the idea, by the way; just pointing out that we are, essentially, guests in their house and the format of this thing really isnā€™t our business. Our involvement begins and ends with being asked to have a discussion and us being willing to; weā€™ve just agreed to participate in whatever structure they want the thing to be conducted in, with our only stipulation being that we talk to each other in a voice call. As such, we didnā€™t really feel any need to advertise, promote, or announce it in any kind of way. If youā€™re interested in listening, @KDNX gave the relevant info! :+1:

17 Likes

Interesting. Iā€™ll make sure to watch the youtube recording of this discussion.

ā€œanother proposalā€? Does that mean they made several proposals up to this point?

1 Like

Okay, thank you for clarifying. That context adds a lot to this, and I can see why you and Eljay arenā€™t advertising it. Definitely empathize with not wanting walls and walls of text for something like this.

Still not sure why MoD wouldnā€™t be publicizing it more like they did their contest poll, but Iā€™m sure they have their reasons.

There was at least one that we the community/public are privy to, and which culminated in MoDā€™s poll on the state of the canon contests, which you might remember was making the rounds last month. The results of that poll were made public here and here.

3 Likes

Iā€™m the moderator on the r/BionicleLego discord whoā€™s collecting audience questions via the google form KDNX linked above.

As far as I understand it, these questions will be given to the speakers before/during the event for them to answer after their discussion with each other is over, so they can be directed at anyone, TTV or MoD, or both. Iā€™m also vetting the questions as they come in, deleting spam responses, combining similar questions, ignoring things thatā€™ll be covered in the discussion already (I have a copy of MoDā€™s latest proposal to TTV so I know generally whatā€™s going to be talked about), rephrase/rewrite gibberish-y or rambling questions, etc.

Basically, anything you want to ask TTV about the contests, or MoD about their proposal (their first one is public and still on the table afaik), is A-OK and will be presented to the speakers so long as itā€™s relevant and not already covered in the discussion. Who chooses to answer what, however, is up to the speakers.

5 Likes