BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Yeah, there’s a Greg quote where he says they can attach armor to this “Over Armor” (my term) and that it can be dye. I’ll go find it

“4. Sorry You couldn’t answer this before, but how does protodermis get color, and different colors?
4) Depends on what you’re asking. Masks get their color from being worn. Armor and things like that most likely get it the same way things we have do, from dyes.”
Official Greg Discussion | Page 125

“4. Do you know how the backpacks “stick” to the Matoran? (In MoL, it just was on Jaller’s back, without any ropes or something like that.) Is it like how the Masks stay on their faces?
4) Yes. Remember, these are bio-mechanical beings, so it would make sense their armor would have ways for things to attach to it.”
Official Greg Discussion | Page 109

Also the Piraka remove the Nuva Armor:
“2) You also said that the Piraka could loot the Nuva’s armor and they would probably sell it. But I thought the armor was just a very hard part of the Nuva 's bodies. So is the armor armor that you can take off, or acutally part of their bodies?
2) No, armor can be removed.”
Official Greg Discussion | Page 123

Also also, only 2 Toa

Metallics are tricky since only the Toa Inika/Mahrii and Jovan had it, with Gunmetal being one of the colors of his element. OH also Varian now that I remember

1 Like

There’s also a scene in Dark Destiny where Onua removes his Nuva Armour.

6 Likes

Personally I’ve never bought into that out of the whole history of the Matoran Universe that other Toa never put on metal armor. It seems a bit ludicrous to be honest

3 Likes

Well other than the main 6 elements, Plantlife, Sonics and Lightning, it seems Iron, Psyonics, Gravity and Light all have Metallics. It makes sense that rarer elements would have Metallics in their color scheme, as they are, well rarer. As for the main 6 it seems like Metallics are awarded to them, like the Hagah or Lhikan.

Speaking of Lhikan, did the other 10 Toa Mangai get a similar reward or was it only him? Additionally, are there any quotes that say Tuyet had a blue mask?

2 Likes

Lhikan’s metallic armour has been specified to not have been a reward:

3 Likes

Yeah, gold appears to be a standard colour for Ta-Toa, via Lhikan and Jaller Inika.

1 Like

Gold is to yellow what Metru red is to Mata red. Change my mind.

7 Likes

Like Willess said, it’s from All That Glitters. For the red mask, when you look at the whole comic panel, it is very obviously just a Velika recolor. The blue one meanwhile uses an Av-Matoran build (though it looks like it’s using a Glatorian head rather than another connection).

They do have a lot a similarities, with the mouthpiece and that ridge on top, but I think the blue one is too curved to be the same mask otherwise. Plus the blue one has a ridge by its mouthpiece that the regular Komau doesn’t have. When I was younger I personally imagined it as being very very similar to Stormer’s 3.0 rhino helmet, though that doesn’t hold up to too much scrutiny.

Also, it seems like the conversation’s moved on from this, but I might as well add, on the topic of Mata Nui Matoran masks: even though I personally think the Mata Nui Matoran probably do have masks other than the OG 12, in Tales of the Masks Gali very specifically doesn’t recognize the Great versions of the Metru masks when she looks at a carving of them.

Which, in all fairness, does make sense for a book released in 2003 intended to tease both the upcoming movie and 2004, but from a later story perspective seems odd. Maybe Ga-Koro’s just super puritanical about masks released after 2001? :woman_shrugging: :wink:

“He’s out of line, but he’s right.”

3 Likes

Changing a little the discution, but what is the way to legally conect those knight kingdom armors?

I see this as the least likely to be blue, tbh, I would personally not vote for blue or green Lariska. Imho Teal Lariska with black secondary is the real way to go.

EDIT: Thanks @Eljay for fixing that typo, I appreciate it. I probably wouldn’t have noticed it for a while, lol was trying to read up on the conversation :grinning:

I meant that in the sense that teal is kind of a bluish colour. Greg ever originally described the colour as blue-green.

Its more greenish or aqua in shade tbh but I see your point

Yeah, it’s a stretch, but I mostly just wanted to list as many blue characters on the list as I could.

1 Like

@Mechronus , I’d unironically be down for all of those, especially Spinner. I mean, if we’re getting Toa Nidhiki, why not?

I think the draw to Dume is mostly the idea of a red-&-black toa of fire, which could look really cool. Imagine a MOC that used a Vladek torso from Knight’s Kingdom.

Also, I am super pro-Naho. She has more story significance than Marendar. If we’re doing the other named Mangai, it would feel wrong to leave her out. Or, if she isn’t a big enough draw to get her own contest, maybe have a Mangai group contest after we’ve done Tuyet and Nidhiki, and let that be where we see Naho. The other Mangai would be great to see, too, but I doubt it’ll happen. It could finally give us non-humanoid Toa.

And, about Lariska’s color- will she be required to be Lego’s official teal, or just any blue-green color, like light & dark azure? This seems like it would make sense, since olive green Artahka’s were allowed.

Also, (so sorry for the text wall, but I’m responding to 100 plus posts I’ve just read), I’ll echo the question about Tuyet’s being blue.

2 Likes

We’re never touching the other Mangai. Absolutely not something we’re going to even begin to think about doing. They don’t fit any of our criteria, and were already the focus of heavy debate for canonizations that didn’t involve contests. We’re leaving them alone.

That said, Naho is certainly possible. She does fit our criteria.

We haven’t quite gotten there yet. I figure a similar handling to Artakha would be in order, but I don’t want to declare anything yet.

Unless someone can show us a quote suggesting that she was a specific type of blue, just… blue. No specific restriction.

7 Likes

Thank’s for the prompt reply. I meant her mask being blue though, sorry, I know that’s her main color, though. I also understand not doing the other Mangai, though, I’m just saying it would be cool.

2 Likes

Same with everything else. We have no quote suggesting what color it is/isn’t. It’s up to the contest to decide, along with nearly everything else.

3 Likes

Just making sure.

I wouldn’t call this “the” way, but I find that this connection is very solid:

Note that I’ve only ever tested it in-person with the parts used for Kualus, so I cant speak to its effectiveness on Pouks.

6 Likes

I just use 3l pins for mine tbf