BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

just for the record that is a really cool moc, and i look forward to voting for it in 2045 or whenever that happens

5 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m not gonna pretend Iā€™m not. Iā€™m SUPER excited to finally see Nidhiki in his full Toa glory. Hopefully I have made a Nidhiki that the community likes but if not, I just hope the winning entry is incredibly well thought out and tries to stick with the known lore. Even if it isnā€™t, Iā€™ll still probably be ok with it.

I used to think a Metru build was the way to go, but working on a custom body Tuyet and Dume really made me rethink my stance.
Now I really hope a non-Metru build wins, as thereā€™s so many ideas and ways to build a Nidhiki that looks incredible and still fits with Lhikan while not using the Metru torso.

2 Likes

I was responding to you. At the very least, I assumed you knew the context for probably why the Helryx MOC Finals were high, which isnā€™t unwarranted, yes?

There is a decrease (whether you want to call it slight or not, not sure why you wouldnā€™t, though). Whether those issues are the reason why thereā€™s a decrease is simply conjecture. I wasnā€™t ignoring context, I was simply interpreting the data as it was and didnā€™t say anything more to not accidently go beyond what the data alone suggests.

If instead of asking:

Had I just assumed it was because the Hagah had issues, that would be putting bias on the data.

Again, Iā€™m probably misunderstanding, but wouldnā€™t that suggest the contest voter participation shouldā€™ve been higher than that of the MoD survey? If thatā€™s case, that doesnā€™t at all explain why MoD is much higher.

You have to see my point of view. I spent time to create these charts during my free time, presented them as objectively as possible, and the response has been ā€œyouā€™re ignoring context,ā€ which isnā€™t helpful.

By ā€œdonā€™t ignore context,ā€ you mean simply chalk up the decrease from the Hagah to its issues, but without anything to prove that, its an assumption. So do I not ignore context, or not assume?

2 Likes

Weā€™re not having a private conversation. Itā€™s very public, and leaving these conclusions uncontested leaves the great deal of spectators and possible participants to come to those same conclusions, and then the reality of the situation gets out of hand. Every time we engage in a conversation like this, it has to be kept in mind.

Again, as I said earlier, MoDā€™s survey is much simpler and easier to respond to than a Boards poll. And my point in mentioning views was that despite the video we made getting around 2k views by the end of the survey, it still only got slightly less or half of that in legitimate responses. Meanwhile, contests have had either a relatively consistent turnout since the initial survey to start the contests on the boards, or a higher one.

I see your point of view, itā€™s what weā€™ve been doing for the last two years. Running these in our free time and even trying to when we arenā€™t free. And itā€™s been very stressful, and weā€™ve had data be interpreted without considering additional context used to paint us and situations in a poor light. I appreciate the work you did, but Iā€™m just trying to make some things clear before itā€™s misunderstood, misinterpreted, or misused.

Youā€™re taking one part of my post to use it to respond to another part of my post addressing something entirely different, and/or to make some sort of point to discredit what Iā€™m saying. This is exhausting.

Iā€™m not sure what youā€™re looking for here at this point, but I donā€™t really have anything else to address at this time.

3 Likes

Donā€™t take this to mean Iā€™m necessarily arguing against or trying to disprove a point, but I always try to point out potential logical faults when possible.

Is MoDā€™s survey really easier to respond to than a Boards poll? It had several questions that required careful reading and fill in the blank responses for some portions. A poll ā€“ especially one in the vein of ā€œContinue contest?ā€ ā€“ generally has between 1-3 questions and likewise only ever requires ticking a box to indicate oneā€™s preference.

Regarding the video getting 2k views versus the survey getting 1k responses (and it should be noted, it did get 2k responses when you include illegitimate responses, which werenā€™t all necessarily duplicates but also just troll answers), it should be taken into account that YouTube counts total views, not just unique viewers. I personally accessed the video numerous times, and others will without a doubt concur with me. It may even be fair to say that the video only received about half as many unique views as it did overall views.

3 Likes

Also with regards to the MOD poll, that was highly publicized throughout the community, especially on the Discord end. Unless Iā€™m mistaken, TTVā€™s main Discord presence is Patreon-only. I think that the other community institutions like Mask of Destiny and BS01 need to put as much work into the promotion of the contests as they did into the promotion of the contest poll, and that would significantly increase retention.

7 Likes

Agreed there, especially on the BS01 front given theyā€™re the other driving force in the fandom that provides legitimacy to the contests.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve pitched a ā€œpolls open! vote now!ā€ banner to BS01 before, but Iā€™m not sure if it will be implemented. Itā€™s not exactly something I can sandbox.

10 Likes

There were 10 questions, with the last 3 being custom responses. All polls/surveys/etc require careful reading - it doesnā€™t mean it always happens.

Additionally, I donā€™t believe any of the options (certainly not the open ended ones) required a response, which is something we thought could have been an improvement for responses data if that was switched on.

They state here that they got 1068 total responses, and they determined 983 of those to be legitimate.

Here are the view analytics during the runtime of the poll:

And before ā€œReturning Viewersā€ is questioned, this is how YouTube distinguishes it (Note, I was hovering over one day out of this time-frame. This shows the number for a single day, not the duration I selected):

Returning viewers

9 Likes

I stand corrected on all counts. Thanks for clarifying.

10 Likes

Looking at the concerns about Marendar contestā€¦
Iā€™m suddenly curious. Which contest list would people be most interested in?

At leastā€¦ What Iā€™m not interested in the most is GSB, and what Iā€™m most interested in is Lariska.

3 Likes

I think Iā€™m in an interesting position for the GSB contest, I think thereā€™s a p good amount of directions you could take the character.

First you have the combiner route (painted gold ofc); Iā€™ve seen some people come up with pretty dope designs made out of the ~dozen sets that make up the character in lore.

Then thereā€™s the CCBS angle; GSB is known for his, uhh, skin. CCBS shells are known for being smooth. those smooth shells could emulate skin pretty well, giving him a truly alien look. Add onto that the fact that we have a large variety of shells in gold, and we could have a really cool design, thereā€™s a bunch of ways you could take that kinda design.

And then of course thereve been talks of GSB being a free for all contest; digital art pieces have a unique advantage in this contest seeing as the organic look drawings can capture is much more realistic than a moc.

Thereā€™s just a bunch of different ways I could see the contest panning out.

For what Iā€™m most excited for? Probably Lariska. I want to see how people create a new species in the bonk canon.

Least excited for? Idk probably Varian. She just feels like an honorary Hagah to me; I canā€™t really see her being made any way other than a Metru build. Im kinda done with Metru builds after the Hagah contest, so Iā€™m not looking forward to Varian too much. Though idk, maybe weā€™ll get something mindblowing; weā€™ll never see unless we try.

6 Likes

After the GSB contest, Brutaka and Irnakk price are expected to be terribly expensiveā€¦

The results of the Varian Contest are really likely to be similar the hagah, but I hope there will be a creative build.

and Iā€™m a little worried about the Marenda contest, too.
Since marendar is the character with the greatest difference in interpretation as it is the most free, it is expected that there will be more people who do not accept the result as a canon compared to other contest

agree, Thatā€™s why the Lariska contest will be quite fierce.

Iā€™ve already tried a few

well, I think itā€™s not bad

13 Likes

Oh bro, totally. But thatā€™s an issue with all of these contests unfortunately. Idk if thatā€™s enough of a reason for me to throw my hat in the cancellation ring just yet though. Iā€™d be down for a vote though, if enough people donā€™t want it, so be it. I just disagree with the stance that some people have when they say that you wouldnā€™t be able to do anything good with a GSB moc.

Like me personally, my vision heavily uses CCBS shells for his skin, only using bonk pieces for some sparse armor to cover his pelvis and maybe one of his shoulders. Heā€™s gonna be roided out, Olympia style. Tbh Iā€™m probably gonna make a GSB moc whether we have a contest for him or not, Iā€™m just having fun thinking of how to moc him.

Oh wait, your the dude behind bird-lady Lariska? Nice bro, I really like the shaping on your Lariskaā€™s head and those faux digitigrade legs. Gives her a nice avian look we havenā€™t seen in canon before (unless you wanna count airwatcher.) Yours is definitely one of my favorite designs Iā€™ve seen so far.

10 Likes

Iā€™m already braced to not like the winner. Much of the community seems to want to make him a gun-sword-monster without putting much thought into why heā€™s named ā€œsalvation.ā€

7 Likes

If I ever make a Marendar, Iā€™ll try to fulfill the requirement of ā€œsalvation.ā€

2 Likes

The interesting thing about Marendar is when he was created. What style of Toa was he created to destroy? This might influence the kind of aesthetic heā€™s built with.

Personally Iā€™m thinking of a Marendar thatā€™s a cross between the Agori, early Toa like Helryx and (maybe) the Baterra. Along with this, Iā€™m thinking Black and Gold, as itā€™s a cross between both light and darkness, as well as a similar color scheme to Umbra.

4 Likes

Always felt like he should look more rugged, designed less for aesthetic than for the purpose of destroying Toa. I donā€™t think he should necessarily be a gun-sword-monster, but we have ā€œpatriot missilesā€ that donā€™t look like they embody the concept of ā€œpatriotā€ (I mean I guess some people might think so?). Marendarā€™s purpose was to ā€œsaveā€ the Spherus Magnans from Toa, and its actions typify salvation more than its appearance necessarily might.

5 Likes

Well, itā€™s a while away at least, I for one am going to enter something contrary to the beefy gun festooned notion. I am thinking a Vitruvian Man, in that he is perfect and clean, the apex of GB design with callbacks to all that has come before. I think he would have no weapons, he himself being the weapon, maybe he is a dull grey or white but then takes on other colours when he mimics or matches his opponents attacks. To make him look bio-mechanical and alien I am going to try cover him in muscles of pneumatic hose with a maze pattern face perhaps. Thatā€™s my take on him anyway :stuck_out_tongue: It will be interesting seeing what people do bring to the table at that time.

Ohhh I like that reasoning!

6 Likes

I think thatā€™s a great idea, as Iā€™ve never imagined Marendar to wield or have any kind of weapon, as he uses a different element or combo to counter each Toa he encounters. During combat his body glows with the element he currently is. This could be accomplished with the different hoses that exist in either translucent or solid colors. Maybe itā€™s like one of those old ribbon cables:

With each color representing a different element, all wrapped around his body.

4 Likes