BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

This is a faulty analysis into how writers’ brains operate. Just as an example, Greg has written scale into the novels plenty of times (Tahu Nuva looking up to speak to Jaller Inika, Takanuva actually being as tall as he is in the 2008 sets, etc). Just because he doesn’t think in pictures does not mean he doesn’t think of imagery. I call to mind Tridax’s purple armor, Tuyet’s barbed broadsword, or Johmak’s coloration. Greg may not have had a specific image of Lariska, but he could still be intimately familiar with how he imagined her proportions and build to come across, and this is reflected in her limber build, her prosthetic arm, and her teal armor.

Based on research conducted by @toaskello, myself, and several others, Axonn’s set is approximately 8’ 1.8”, standing slightly under the Inika’s 8’ 2.28”.

For numerous reasons including the one you just mentioned, Skello and I concluded that 2004 and 2006 are part of the same scale.

1 Like

That’s your conclusion that was already discussed several times that can be incorrect, even with ToaSkello himself. And the context of Tahu looking up to Toa Jaller can be adressed on several other means, not just to the fact that Jaller should be taller. Tahu may have stood on lower ground or wasn’t standing at all. If we go with the 03 scale, which is also a different one, the Toa Nuva are already slightly taller than an average Toa, which would be their Toa Mata forms. And again, as Greg himself said, the Toa’s set heights became taller because of the points of articulations, not because they are canonically taller, and this quote specifically mentions the Inika and the Metru, further confirming that they are not the same scale.Official Greg Dialogue | Page 195
No mention of Kardas

They are the same “rough” height, though. Again, all the calculations force some proportions to be in the same scale or the story flat out doesn’t make sense — if 2004 and 2006 are on different scales, as an easy example, Vican would be shrinking instead of growing as he canonically did.

For that to remain consistent (the Nuva being taller than average Toa) 2004 needs to be on the same scale as 2006.

In fact, except for Toa mata(nuva), most each build(so metru and inika) height differences are caused by thighs, so use Inika-scale thighs.

Interestingly, Takanuva is almost the only person explained in lore why each set of him is different in size. It even includes the day he was Matoran.

2 Likes

How does this work for the fact that Pohatu Phantoka should be at the same height as the Rockoh pilot form and his 2003 version? Same with thr other Nuva, because I’m sure Greg said that the Adaptive Armor didn’t make them taller or shorter.

I do not have a design degree, but I do know that there are practical methods for emulating old bionicle pieces. It’s just that doing this involves rare and expensive pieces that people generally aren’t willing to buy, so there is a cost element too, which the Krakua torso excels at, and that’s not something people are willing to talk about.

2 Likes

MOCs are pay to win confirmed.

In all seriousness though yeah, its a given. The people who dump money on accumulating massive parts collections always have better odds at making more elaborate designs in comparison to someone with a smaller collection

9 Likes

Not that I think you are wrong. Certain Bionicle pieces are expensive, certain old technic pieces are expensive. Those parts in certain rarer colors are also not cheap.

However and this is not an argument for or against anything. Krakua’s torso is mainly made up of cheaper pieces that still gets made today. The black axle/pins and the Metru foot is the only really discontinued parts. Yes it uses some old grey but for newer builds you can certainly substitute that for dbg. It also use some black 3l axles but those too can be substituted

Also unrelated to the point. Price did not stop someone for entering a helryx with the inside tour gali g2 mask. Certain creators but not all, don’t really care too much about cost anyway or if their builds depleates the entire market of those parts.

While I get your sentiment I don’t really think cost is a universal issue in these contests. Again this is not an argument just some observations made.

2 Likes

And that’s the beauty of Studio. Now we just need all the parts done

8 Likes

I tried to read through the 200 messages sent here since I checked in last week and the only conclusion I could make is that nobody can agree on if lariska played with beyblades or not. also I really like the use of the thornax laucher for tuyet barbs you love to see it

17 Likes

Energy propellers with a personalized super power but I digress what you said mostly summed it up.

1 Like

To be more precise, Airjitzu abilities

8 Likes

Flying shiny round things that do different stuff because of the person who shot them.

4 Likes

lawiska do flying round fing?

unclear.

5 Likes

Guys, come on!
Lariska is obviously a Vortixx, Greg just forgot and said she wasn’t one.

The size of the MOC is generally irrelevant though - Regardless of her MOC’s size, the size of her character doesn’t change. While, reasonably she shouldn’t be a titan, it’s not like the Toa Metru aren’t taller than the Toa Mata in their set forms. Besides, I don’t think Lariska wears a mask, so that wouldn’t force her into any kind of scale either. (Not that 04 took that into consideration.)

:thinking:
Hang on… You’re talking about Nuva armor, right?

“I never saw Toa with armor like that,” said Reidak. “Or weird-looking masks like the ones they’re wearing.”

4 Likes

Reidak never saw either Norik or Kualus confirmed.

4 Likes

Short notice (I believe due to a sudden scheduling change allowing it to happen now), but TTV and Mask of Destiny will have another contest discussion on the r/BionicleLego Discord server in less than ten minutes. I expect it will last several hours like the last one.

4 Likes

What’s the connection between these quotes?

The first one, from @Keplers, is in reference to Tuyet’s armour maybe-possibly-if-someone-wants looking like Nuva armour, while the second one, from the novels, is about how the Inika look weird.

EDIT: I was wrong. See below.

That line is from island of Doom, reidak is talking about the Nuva. Nothing to do with the Inika.