BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I want to double down on this sentiment: it really is okay whether someone wants to use Nuva armor or not, but making a specific case for or against it using all this evidence is absurd when BIONICLE so often reuses parts that are sometimes meant to be more abstract representations of a general shape. Axonn’s fingers are not literally Matoran legs, nor is his armor the same design as a Nuva chestplate in universe (in fact his overall construction suggests that his various chest armor pieces are supposed to represent one, larger plate).

5 Likes

And that’s precisely why I say the canon is “extruded” into the sets. We may say that the sets are the highest form of canon, and, while that is true to an extent, it’s exceedingly obvious that that can’t be entirely the case. The depictions of characters we get as sets are molded (heh) by the budget and means that LEGO had in the year they were released. Axonn’s chest armor likely represents a large plate, and TLG either did not want to or did not have the budget to produce a piece exactly matching this, so they used previously-existing parts. It doesn’t mean his chestplate is made up of Toa Nuva armor in-universe.

6 Likes

I am curious… was there anyone here who was/is actually arguing we should limit Tuyet’s armor to only Nuva armor because Matoro (vaguely) recognized it? Or are we all just talking past each other?

2 Likes

I never said anything about limiting it.

2 Likes

Sorry. I replied to you but it was a general question to the people who participated in the conversation.

People have generally just been making the case that the armor “could” or “could not” be Nuva armor. Nothing in the text really supports either standpoint and the point is moot per what has been previously discussed.

1 Like

“Tuyet will never be balling”

Sees the Rahkshi Nike Drip

PSSHHHTTTT spits out his staple food of choice flakes

It would seem, gathered friends, the ability to make these shoes canon, is on the cards.

Love it.

12 Likes

While I absolutely love the Nike jokes, part of me is slightly worried that TTV will see my entry as a joke one because of the Rahkshi Shoes so I would like to say this was my original in universe explanation:

Basically Tuyet’s Homeland was were the Doom Vipers came from. Being a menace to Matoran, Tuyet was tasked with lowering the population down to a manageable size (killing them) and was rewarded with armor and a sword made from the remains of the creatures.

Sidenote, what if the Nike Kraata was the Nui Stone?

6 Likes

red
The Nui Slippers

10 Likes

Hey man, I’ll vote for a joke entry if it has more going for it than just a joke. If one of those cool fan versions of Hoseryx were entered into the Helryx contest, I would have 100% voted for them.

EDIT: As they say, uhh, “If the shoe fits”.

3 Likes

Hey man, I would have unironically voted for a thunder-thighs Hagah moc.

I’ve also seen a swole Metru build made of five torsos… which we ended up getting with Bomonga anyway.

3 Likes

wait… if a broadsword is meant to be swung not stabbed wouldn’t really any barb orientation hurt more on the way out if pulled out that way? anyone want to volunteer to be swung at with swords and rate various pains on a scale of 1 to 10?

3 Likes

Don’t start this again…

16 Likes

The next person who makes this claim is going to be refuted by me just stabbing them with my broadsword

10 Likes

I based that on something I thought I heard eljay said in soap box about what a broad sword does. I know literally nothing about swords.

At least my sword hurt more when I took out than when I pushed it. (I held it in my hand and did the experiment.)
Let me know if you all need an experiment. I’ll let you experience it.

/s

Anyway, I think we’ve already talked enough about swords and barbs.

20 Likes

Going back to the discussion about the proposal that several forums should have their own submission area and auditory group from the ttv/mod discussion. I have 2 concerns which I’ll formulate as questions that I want to address that I think should be heavily considered and weighted before reaching any conclusive arrangements. This is not an argument against the system(I think it could be really cool) nor is this something I expect anyone to have figured out yet. I’m only highlighting them to spread awarness of them.

The first thing pertains to the vetting. I personally found the auditing from the Hagah art contest made by the newly established auditor team despite its few hiccups satisfying and the best anyone could have managed while still having a contest left that was worth holding. It was also a huge improvement overall. However and this will be my first question:

“How do we ensure that the vetting is the same between all platforms with the same thoroughness and make sure that decision surrounding what should be Rule 11’d stays consistent between all platforms?”

The second questions pertains to the barring of TheUnderscoreDouble and how this new system will handle that decision.(This point is not to be confused with anything else about double that I have uterred in the past as non of that is revelant here, k, thx):

“With this system will the barring of TheUnderscoreDouble be affected if at all or will the barring be lifted? If not how would you guys proceed to moderate this barring or in general keep TheUnderscoreDouble from entering the contest through other means such as alternate accounts?”

Feel free to discuss these I do not expect an answer to any of them. I just want to know that these concerns are adressed and taking into account in the decision to open up the floodgates, so to speak.

Unrelated but on the same topic I think the proposed idea is a cool one and an idea I can see very benefitial to many nonenglish community hubs to give them a means to affect these contests. I also think it would be awesome to allow for people who were banned on TTV way before the contest started, to have a chance to partake and give their spin on these contests.

With that said that is my 5 cents on that topic.

3 Likes

It was mentioned during the most recent talk that the auditing might still be done by the current TTV team, with the “ambassadors” only filtering out the most obvious rule-breaks before passing on the entries. Obviously this isn’t conclusive, and it was only ever mentioned in passing, but it would make sense.

Ultimately, the auditing needs to be done by a single team at all levels, to ensure that rules are applied the same for all entries. If you have each site auditing and approving their own entries before passing them on, you basically guarantee that there will be contradictions, no matter how minor.

These past contests have shown that, no matter no detailed the rules are, there will always be something that falls into a bit of a gray area, and those cases should all be determined by the same team.

4 Likes

popping in to ask if TTV will be holding off on the Tuyet contest until they can do another talk with MoD, I don’t think I’ve seen any official word on that?

1 Like

It’s starting on Tuesday the 22nd, 2022, at 22:22.

Not because TTV said so but by sheer will and the power of unionizing

14 Likes