BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Bro, are you tripping? I have no idea why Lego is letting Greg go, but I’d be willing to bet my first, second, and third born sons that it had nothing to do with the canon contests.

13 Likes

Yeah no iam well aware of that like I said iam just going through stuff.

Oh my.

I always sort of figured the contests would end before the second list was complete, because one party or another would get tired of them, but not like this.

Best wishes to Greg Farshtey. He’s probably become the most influential creative figure to me, over all, at the risk of hyperbole, another generation’s George Lucas. I hope and pray he can market his skills into a new a career that’ll treat him well.

I agree that it would be a very nice send off to host a Lariska contest before July, and given the circumstances, I’m positive the community could band together and pull it off, but it would of course be up to Greg.

Now I guess we’ll have to wait 15 years for Bionicle G3 for new canon material, but if the two cancellations taught me anything, it’s that you can’t really kill this community. MOCs will continue, stories will continue, art will continue, canon or not.

In the mean time, “As new legends awake, old lessons must also be remembered, for this is the way of the Bionicle.”

Thanks.

15 Likes

Wow that was well said.

2 Likes

That is very unfortunate for Greg. I hope that he can find a new job he enjoys.

As for the canon contest I’m not going to say much. I haven’t processed this yet but expect my entry Lariska to be posted soon as just a normal moc.

2 Likes

What a hell of news to wake up to. I’ll always have nothing but respect for Greg and everything he did not only for Bionicle, but for Lego too. Hope he does well in the future. Godspeed

And since this marks the ends of the contests… I mean hats off to everyone. Eljay, Meso, the winners, and everyone who participated through the two years of all this. I know these contests have been a dumpster fire at times (backreading the Hoseryx era and experiencing the Hagah era gave me whiplash), but they really were something. Seeing dozens of people’s takes on characters was really nice. Plus, the winning entries of all three were spectacular

This feels like the end of an era, although I know for a fact this community will find a way to fill the void. Maybe contests for all these characters anyway without the canon label?

19 Likes

perhaps we can just always put it to a vote, highest voted wins
but thank you greg
you have given days of fun and joy to all of us
good luck

7 Likes

I say let’s not pull the plug on contest just yet.

Many people have put a lot of time and energy for their models it would be awfull to let all of that time to go to waste.

Let’s wait for a month or two for the things to cool down and see what happens.

I personally see no problem with continuing contests. It has been of the fans, by the fans, for the fans kind of project.

Edit: After second reading through my words might seem little bit cold towards Greg. I am mortified, guy is our collective childhood idol.

Thank you Greg for my childhood experiences. It would have not been the same without bionicle you helped to make.

10 Likes

I can’t believe they Lego of Greg…

10 Likes

welp
I guess we’re pretty much done with the contests here now that Greg won’t be with Lego for much longer…

Either way I’d like to thank him for all the stuff he’s done, in Bionicle and elsewhere.

also yes, this does feel like the end of an era.

9 Likes

It’s possible, but we shouldn’t expect him to do it. If Greg comes to us and says “how about we do one more contest while we still can”, that would be amazing and we should definitely do it, but that decision has to come from Greg. We have no idea how his job and/or life will be affected from now until the end of July.

From a purely logistical perspective, I don’t see why this would be an issue. There are 20-odd weeks left until the end of July, and a contest only takes 10-ish weeks to run. If our wildest dreams come true and Greg is able to do one more contest, we’d still have time to do it right.

3 Likes

Is it truly necessary that Greg must still work for lego to give his paroval for new canon models? He is the author afterall, lego just his employer.

edit: Is it necessary to have a lego employee to be part of the competition? Fans create and vote on them. Greg gives his aproval. I though we asked him because he was the author, not because he is part of lego group.

2 Likes

That’s a whole new can of worms that I suppose the community was going to have to face eventually.

For the last two decades, Greg’s additions to Bionicle canon outside of published materials have been met with some amount of resistance, and it’s only gotten worse as he’s become further removed from the end of the story. However, his additions have always been accepted as canon because he made them with permission from Lego, as an employee. Without him working at Lego, though, there is far less reason to take any new canon as official.

Of course, this is all assuming that Greg would be willing to approve characters past July in the first place, which I highly doubt. Greg has always been extremely particular about what he is and isn’t legally allowed to do as a contractor/employee with Lego.

It would be awesome if Greg found some way to maintain some form of “official” connection between Lego and the Bionicle commumity, but I have no idea how that would be done.

3 Likes

Did he ask permission from lego to be a judge for these competitions?

I can’t answer that with certainty.

I doubt, though, that he specifically went to his boss and asked “can I approve these contests?” It seems far more likely that he is interacting with these contests under the same set of “Bionicle permissions” that Lego gave him that also allow him to answer Ask Greg questions.

4 Likes

As far as I’m aware, Greg was given permission to alter canon after the end of the product line to appease fans, and it’s under that authority that he wrote the post-canon serials, and canonized contest winners.

2 Likes

Is it truly so important for super large toycorporation what pictures their fans put on fan run wikipedia site?

4 Likes

Yeah the others beat me to it

2 Likes

It is, when canon is taken seriously at that fan run wikipedia.

6 Likes

Yes and no. I highly doubt Lego cares about the details of the Bionicle story itself, but it’s still their IP, and they want to have control over it.

The last thing Lego wants is another Maori-style controversy; even if they don’t care about the specifics, they need to make sure that their official lore won’t get them in trouble.

5 Likes