BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

This whole situation just sucks all around. While I want to gripe about the contests, they have no comparison to what Mr. Farshtey is going through right now. He deserved better. It seems like the man who is responsible for much of LEGO’s success is just being fired unceremoniously, and that really sucks to hear. This is essentially Bionicle’s third and likely final cancellation.

It would be incredibly insensitive to ask him right now, but he has to be asked eventually. Unless Greg comes to us first (which probably won’t happen) we at least need a concrete answer about the contests from him.

12 Likes

Yes, definitely agree. That would not be cool from the community, especially when man has lost his job.

If the contest continue it is because greg can still aprove them. not because we greedily squeked one inside on last minute.

2 Likes

The reason is based on this answer.
He wanted Lariska’s set the most out of all the characters that didn’t have an official set.

Interestingly, two of the characters in that question already get a canon appearance.

10 Likes

hmmm
why do you think he was laid off?

2 Likes

Don’t think it would be rude more like a final tribute type of thing.

2 Likes

Other competitions have gained fair month of time to prepare a moc. It would not be fair to jump Tuyet and quick build mocs in a hurry to compete.

The Helryx contest in its entirety lasted approximately 71 days, give or take a day or so. The Artakha contest lasted about 77 days

Should the Tuyet contest begin today, it would last until around May 15th, leaving ample time between the end of the contest and Greg’s departure, and room for any possible delays.

I’m not saying that the contest should be run (I don’t think they should). Just putting this out there

2 Likes

Covid.

Everywhere is tightening the belt at the moment, and Lego has gradually scaled back on print media, which is what Greg made. Ninjago and Monkie Kid tell their stories with animated shows, and basically nothing else has a story, or at least, a story unique to Lego. There’s no comics and no books to write, so Greg was presumably surplus to requirements. TBH I’m kinda surprised he was still there to begin with.

5 Likes

I would like to note on the subject of the canon contests continuing as/fitting one in before July that Meso has said they are dead in the R/Bionicle Discord server since people keep saying we can.
3c1ade1c63e63e3956e6b33d04d77cc7
(Image courtesy of Minirigby)
So if Meso has said they are dead I think they are dead.

1 Like

Why layoff instead of moving him to other story department or inside the company?

edit: answer might be in the end the oldest one. Money.

oof
that sucks

1 Like

Tridax, kojol and Johmak would have been super nice for the competition.

It could still have been a first soul cushing reaction before looking for other options.

edit: let me hope XD

2 Likes

Hopefully he was just jumping the gun a bit with that response. I say we should at least have a vote of some sort to have at least one more contest. And I highly doubt Greg would be annoyed by the idea. Sense he had lots of reasons to be annoyed with the community before

2 Likes

Obviously, it will take quite a while to prepare for the Lariska MOC, but no one knows whether the final contest will be hagah, tuyet, or Lariska.

As soon as Meso heard Greg’s news, he spoke pessimistically. The contest is dead.
I have a lot of complaints about it.
it’s a little… That was such a bad thing to hear. I felt like they gave up right away.
Yes I know it can be really rude for us to bother Greg while he’s taking care of his work.
I understand the burden of TTV.
I know I’m selfish.
But there was no discussion.
Even though it was passing by said, I felt exhausted.

5 Likes

Wait the contest is officially over

Would it be feasible to make all the remaining contest at the same time?

but then again quality over quantity

2 Likes

This option please

1 Like

Have you seen how much trouble TTV had running one contest, I think running like 20-ish of them at once would kill them + all the drama too /lh

Well, it’s possible if TTV is able to handle it and not let someone in communities waste our little time raising objections to it.
Will that be possible?

2 Likes

I can assure you that Meso was far from crushed. More along the lines of “I’m free” than anything else TBH.

Not at all surprising, really. I’ll go back to what I said when the first “We need help” post hit: “These contests have destroyed the mental health of everyone that tried to run them and sunk at least one friendship within TTV itself, and I don’t think the results are worth that.”

Eljay and Meso have always been fairly candid and open about how much stress they go through whenever the contests are active. I think it stopped being an enjoyable event for them a long time ago, more an obligation.

I’ve seen it said that the contests being killed by an outside factor is the absolute worst thing for all parties… but honestly, I think it might be the best outcome for the organisers themselves. They get to break from the intense pressure and scrutiny permanently, and it’s nothing they did. They share none of the blame in the death of the contests, so people can’t even be angry at them for not continuing.

It’s not official yet, but yeah. There’ll presumably be an announcement very soon, probably just taking time to record and edit it.

No.

Also just… stop.

What is important right now is that Greg has lost his job of over 22 years. What isn’t important is clutching at straws for one last ■■■■-storm over the design of a toyless character from a defunct toyline.

Meso has stated, quite plainly, that they do not intend to trouble Greg with another contest while he has things like “Securing new employment” and “Feeding his family” to worry about.

Styrofoam is right on the money.

Let it go.

23 Likes