BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I assume english isn’t his first language

2 Likes

Excellent point. That could also be the case…

2 Likes

Good Morning Eljay,

Today Is Thursday! The Second Toa Helryx Art Contest Poll!

From,
Nathan

2 Likes

Nathan,

Probably won’t happen today. I’ve already asked you to stop asking - you’re not making it happen faster and it’s greatly trying my patience.

This will be my last request. Please be patient and wait for us to finish what work needs to be done. Any further and we will consider official warnings.

Thank you.

12 Likes

Then, Artakha MOC Contest Starts Monday?

3 Likes

Just calm down and be patient please

7 Likes

You gotta chill bruh. Just wait

9 Likes

I really hope so.

1 Like

Voting for what?

Toa Helryx!

3 Likes

the announcement said voting ends “around” August 2nd. Clearly there has been some kind of hitch on the timeline - considering they’re working with a new and imperfect voting system, it’s not surprising. Nagging people will only divert their attention from getting the necessary work done.

7 Likes

While it is strange that the polls are still up, since I voted in the assigned time I didn’t know you could still vote. Besides that, I believe there is going to be another finalist round with the winners of the four art contests.

Hi everyone,

I’m a major (if not the only) reason for the delay. I’m writing some scripts for TTV so they don’t have to simulate all of the instant-runoff voting rounds by hand. All of the scripts will be viewable here.

So far I’ve completed scripts that compile the votes in master spreadsheets and identify duplicate votes. I’m in the process of writing the actual voting simulation. I don’t want to make promises I can’t keep, but schedule permitting I hope to finish the simulation code within the next day or so. The code will be reusable, so although the writing process is slowing this round down, the time investment now should make future rounds (and future contests) go much more quickly. Thanks for understanding.

31 Likes

Can I suggest that intead of one BBCode poll per contest entry, you use one poll per preference for future votes.

Something like

First Preference:

• Entry 1
  • Entry 2
  • etc

0 voters

Second Preference:

• Entry 1
  • Entry 2
  • etc

0 voters

Third Preference:

• Entry 1
  • Entry 2
  • etc

0 voters

The benefits being:

1. It is more intuitive to the voter (you aren’t required to leave some polls untouched).
  2. Accidental or deliberate double voting is impossible (and voting for the same entry on multiple preferences only disadvantages the voter, so doesn’t need to be explicitly checked for).
  3. The results are genuinely hidden until the end of the vote (currently the number of participants in each entry’s poll gives away its rough performance).
25 Likes

Excellent suggestion. With this all there would need to be done is to gather the votes from each entry per section, however difficult that is.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this has been adress already, but I think being unable to deselect is a vote is a big issue, especially when it’s being limited to three votes per user. I’ve heard from several people who misclicked. I suppose Votuko’s solution may solve this, but that’d probably require major reworks to MtMNC’s script.

1 Like

Yeah @Votuko’s suggestion would resolve this issue, and it should be fairly straightforward to adjust the code accordingly.

Currently there are two scripts: one grabs the voting data and puts it in a spreadsheet, and one grabs the data from the spreadsheet and finds the winners. I’d only need to change the first script to make sure the spreadsheet gets made correctly based on the new poll format.

Also as Votuko pointed out earlier, the new system would allow voters to assign multiple rankings to the same entry. The current scripts prevent this automatically because:

(1) A user can only change their vote once their current entry leaves the race (by getting enough votes to win or by being eliminated).
(2) If a user votes for an entry that left the race already, then that vote gets skipped over, and the user votes for their next preference instead.

To revote for an entry, a user must have voted for it some earlier time. By (1), once the user cast that earlier vote, they stuck with the entry until it left the race. So, revotes only happen to entries that left the race already, and by (2) those votes get skipped over.

edits: (hopefully) clearer explanation

5 Likes

I’m still questioning why the voting had to be so… convoluted.

This is an excellent suggestion, and we will be doing this for the next round of voting. Thank you.

This method was highly requested. We’re still working out the kinks and trying to smooth things out for next time. Of course, we also had some other issues that helped encourage this decision.

8 Likes

I have a question. Do you have a specific order the contests will be held, or are you doing them in any particular order they happen in? I guess what I mean is since Artahka was second on the list are you going to do him second or do someone else and save him for later?