Bionicle Gen-1 and Gen-2

I’ve been reading and commenting on a few topics, and I (among others) have been referring to Bioncle 2001-2010 as Gen-1 and Bionicle 2015-??? as Gen-2. I was wondering if y’all would accept these as the Official Unofficial Names for Bionicle’s different ‘eras’.

2 Likes

I don’t like them, personally. I would consider seeing what Lego wants to do about it instead of making our own ideals. Like I’ve said before, we should not be jumping the gun. We should wait until Lego officially announces it before we do anything that may confuse people later on.

3 Likes

I think there could be a better ‘placeholder’ name for until Lego releases more information about it. I just wanted to suggest this because some people have been referring to it as such.

To me, it’s just the “older” and “newer” Bionicle lines right now.

2 Likes

I personally will refer to the new BIONICLE as “2.0”

-Mesonak

2 Likes

I suddenly have visions of seeing the leaked preliminary HF 2.0 pictures…

When I hear Gen 2 I hear how the first Generation of Pokemon was the best and the rest were crap. I don’t want Bionicle to be that way!

1 Like

I think that the terms “new generation” and “old generation” will work for me. From the day that the “coming soon” page was revealed on Lego’s website, this entire situation has felt really surreal, so I’m still not very sure of how I’ll be referring to the new version versus the old.

1 Like

I see it as Gen 1 and Gen 2 as well. It’s how I’m going to refer to it as too.

1 Like

I have no problem with the idea.

I notice the relation to Pokemon, but the whole “Generation” is used quite often for reboots.

However, it is also used as a sort of “rebranding” or the next chapter. Like 2001-2003 could also be considered Gen 1 while 2004-2005 being Gen 2.

But if Lego cancels Bionicle again, and reboots it again, than we can’t use “New” and “Old”.

As an official unofficial term, that would have to be a decided by the fan base as a whole.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Bionicle’s return will never be on par with how it was originally.

3 Likes

I hope they still have th moulds for the old bionicle pieces, because then the pieces would be compatible with the older pieces!

I want to create our own names for it simply because I’d like to see the greater Bionicle fandom refer to them with nicknames that we directly came up with. But that’s just me =P

2 Likes

I saw this conversation on Facebook in a Bionicle group, I’m all for it to. Yes Gen1 and 2 has a pokemon reference and I heard Transformers uses it as well, all the more reason to call them Gen 1 and 2 I say. There’s a ton of Bionicle fans/MOCers that also play Pokemon and like transformers(or both). So I think it’d be more of a natural tendency to call it that for a lot of people.

@Kahi if we did come up with our own name what did you have in mind? Turaga’s Tale could work for the first one since it was mostly narrated by Turaga Vakama in the movies. I always got the sense even reading the comics that it was the turaga narrating the story. Your idea could work, if done right. But it hinges on everyone or most everyone being on board with the names.

1 Like

I don’t mind it. It’ll be a handy way to differentiate between series if the new one is in fact a reboot