BIONICLE Speculation: The Real Reason for G2's Demise?

It’s also not like Lego put zero effort into marketing, they did make jto, and 14k gold masks aren’t cheap, so they did have a decent budget and they did use it. But all of this failed to address the poor story of G2. The stories of G1(first 3 years), Ninjago(first 3 years), and G2 both follow similar trends. You have elemental heroes, a big bad guy of darkness, and in the end everyone is saved by a being of light. The G2 story was botched as they lacked character and good media representation.

1 Like

Lego makes tons of stupid decisions, it’s part of their charm in a way, they’ve sort of lucked into success over the years.

First off, I just want to point out “Two Shades of Bley”
How in the world is that allowed?

Secondly:

Oooor “The BIONICLE Mask”.

~W12~

3 Likes

12 ounces of 14 karat gold is pretty freaking cheap for a budget for TLG.

They seemed pretty saddened to me…I doubt lego would tell them about the Bionicle Movie if they were to make one.

Also, after the Ninjago Movie what other original IP movies would they make? Nexo Knights is popular enough, but it’s a pretty young theme. I feel as though Bionicle is their only other option if they were to make another original movie, but it would have to be brick/system based in order to tie it in with other lego movies for consistency. It’s an old theme with clearly lots of potential and some wiggle room for others to put their own spin on it (see the artbook).

2 Likes

I guess I can’t debate against that. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Lego Movie 2 is still happening, but I agree with this. BIONICLE would be a good next step.

3 Likes

Well, there are always topics on the site along the lines of “this site is going to crap” and they reassure people quite a bit. That said, they may just be trying to be nice.

[quote=“Rockho, post:25, topic:34221”]I doubt lego would tell them about the Bionicle Movie if they were to make one
[/quote]

• They knew about the reboot before it was common knowledge.

• They knew about the cancellation before it was common knowledge.

3 Likes

They could just end up leaving a gap in movies, after all they haven’t established the LCU, and there was a 3 year gap between the Lego Movie and Lego Batman.

1 Like

That is also true. It took quite a while to get to the Lego Batman movie.

To be completely honest, I don’t think this theory is too far-fetched. Let’s take a look at the marquee. I’ve gone ahead and edited it slightly to make it easier to view.

There are five titles that we can see from this screenshot:

“Two Shades of Bley”
“Ninjagotown The G-” (Game?)
“Fish with F-”
“Studs Not-”
and of course,
“The Bionicle M-”

Now Two Shades of Bley is an obvious reference to Fifty Shades of Gray, as well as a nod to the two current shades of gray in Lego’s palette. [details=As an aside]TIL that Bley is an actual term in AFOL-land.[/details]

Ninjagotown seems like it’s a nod to the upcoming film, in addition to referencing the movie Chinatown. Studs Not is clearly a reference to SNOT builds, with perhaps a movie reference blocked from our view. I have absolutely no idea what Fish with F is, but because of the context of the others, I’m going to assume it’s some sort of movie/AFOL reference.

Then we’ve got The Bionicle M. M could stand for a lot of things, but given the phrasing of The Lego Movie, The Lego Batman Movie, and The Lego Ninjago Movie, I think we can safely assume that it stands for movie. So why, among these other movie references would “The Bionicle Movie” be included? Sure, we can write it off as a little nod to a tiny part of the fanbase. It just seems so out of place among these other AFOL-centric titles. Bionicle was never popular among AFOLS. It was popular among millennials, people who are going out to see Lego Movies. Thus, it makes more sense to me that this is foreshadowing to a future movie, a quick sneak peak into the future of the Lego Cinematic Universe.

And it would make total sense too. We live in the age of reboots, where people love to relive their childhoods. And for a lot of millennials, Bionicle was a big part of their childhood. Just look at last October’s Bionicle meme craze. Yes, G2 was a reboot of Bionicle. But in the eyes of the mainstream media, G2 never existed. It never reached the people who would love it the most. A movie would be a perfect way for it to reach that generation of people who grew up with it, in a way that they would be most likely to see it.

Having said all that, is this why G2 ended? I’m not entirely convinced. G2 had a lot of problems, and I don’t think we can safely say that it only ended because Lego had plans for a movie franchise in the future. I am, however, more inclined to believe that a Bionicle Movie is coming. Will it be constraction? System? I have no idea. But I do think it’s coming.

15 Likes

Mr. @Chronicler, I think you’re on to something here.

Bionicle is confirmed one of the Lego realms, so it may get it’s own LM-canon movie.

Lego said on it’s Twitter that Bionicle sold well, so it’s not too far out there.

That was probably a lie, just say’n.

Or maybe it has some truth to it?

3 Likes

Lego has done some pretty bad things to screw their fanbase over from time to time, but I’m not sure they would go so far to lie.

I’m torn. This could just be a brilliant tribute, but for some reason I feel like LEGO could actually make a Bionicle Movie in the coming years. As proven by TLM and TLBM, making a movie and sets on it is a great way to drive up interest and sales. If LEGO made a Bionicle movie it might actually save Bionicle.

5 Likes

I wish, but I don’t think it’ll happen.

3 Likes

I feel like whether a Bionicle movie would happen depends on the fanbase, and whether its big enough for a high budget movie. It’s like how Batman and Ninjago started with TV episodes or cartoon movies to build up a fanbase before hitting the big screen. It’s the popularity of the theme that justifies whether a big screen production is worth it. Lego’s target audience will be kids, so the popularity of Bionicle among them is what matters most to Lego, and as the new generation has only experienced a botched reboot with a flat story and poor marketing, a Bionicle movie probably won’t happen anytime soon.

3 Likes

Bionicle saved Lego, now it’s time for Lego to return the favour :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

My guess: this is a hint to what would have been.
There was going to be a BIONICLE movie for year 3. But BIONICLE got cut, and those plans never came to fruition, leaving only this subtle nod in the Catman movie that was left in as a nod to the franchise instead of what would’ve been an up-coming movie (coming this year, in fact, so we’d likely have heard of it being planned by the time the Batman movie was released). This was supposed to hype people for an upcoming movie, and instead, it has given them false hope.

This has been crushing your hopes and dreams with Willess.

~W12~

4 Likes

Mine were crushed years ago mang.

There’s an A after that F, so I’m assuming it’s “fish with faces”
What that could be referring to, I know not.

~W12~