Bionicle Stop Motion: Canister Wasteland

This is not my creation, I take no credit. This was my first time seeing this and it was the best Bionicle stop motion I had ever seen. Go check out this awesome video!

12 Likes

quite a well animated video. Pains me to think about how long it took.

but BIONICLE isn’t an anime

This person in the comments begs to differ

8 Likes

Wow. I haven’t seen a Bionicle animation this good in a very long time.

This has all the charm of an early 2000s stick figure animation. The fighting is a bit silly, but the camera work is pretty stellar.

Thanks for sharing!

How is it silly, just curious?

It’s not really choreographed, they kinda just flail their swords around and every so often throw a kick or a punch. Just sort of “fighting.”

I really only mean the swordplay, I actually really liked the part where Lihkan runs to grab his other sword and Nidhiki does the jump off the wall and throws the canisters.

1 Like

personally I’d just amalgamate this into the same suspension of disbelief I do for all other fantasy. Of all the things that aren’t realistic in BIONICLE/fantasy, combat is the least prevalent for me.

2 Likes

I get what you mean, but for me it’s not a matter of realism, it’s just pure level of interest.

Realistic fighting is comparatively more boring, but the actions being made are clear.

I think the fighting in this would be a lot more entertaining if it was just clearer and more defined. It doesn’t need to be realistic, just more than what it looks like when you use the Mata gearbox. :laughing:

3 Likes

As much as I love this stop motion, I have to agree. It doesn’t really seem like they’re trying to get the advantage over the other, they’re just kinda blocking each other’s attacks.

2 Likes

Yea, that’s the point I really mean. If I could give an example (that’s also just an excuse to share a really cool animation this stop motion reminded me of):

The fighting in this animation isn’t realistic, and dare I say at times it’s even blocky/flail-y like in the stop motion, but most of the time you get a sense of who’s “in the lead,” who currently has the advantage and how the “loser” does certain things that suddenly puts them at an advantage.

I only bring this up because this stop motion really gives me the same vibes as these stick figure animations (some of my favorite on YouTube), and the fighting seems to want to be like those animations but just kinda lacks distinction.

3 Likes

Canister Wasteland was great for it’s time, but I’m sadly it hasn’t aged very well IMO. Bionicle: Ignition War by Bohrok321 is a lot better in my opinion:

2 Likes

I do like both but Canister Wasteland has to take the first place for me, while I still enjoy ignition war it has two things that I think it does weaker than cannister wasteland. First of its 55 minutes long which in my opinion is a bit too long to keep me interested in watching a bionicle stop motion on the internet. Secondly Canister Wasteland is shot in a way that make it look very realistic with all camera angles being shot from eye level and in a very cinematic fashion unlike ignition war which is shot overhead in a style similar to most other bionicle stop motions on the internet.

Lastly both of these stop motions are masterpieces and both creators deserve equal amounts of praise.

6 Likes

I see you have rediscovered this legendary stop motion. To this day, I haven’t seen a stop motion more fluid.