Bionicle Stop-motion test - "Challenge"

A quick test animation of my self-moc Timak (Toa of Sonics). Whether you’re an enemy of the Matoran he protects, or just challenging him to a Sonics-style sparring match, he’s ready to throw some bad vibes your way.

I originally shot the stop-motion footage using MonkeyJam, then I had to hand-edit some of the later frames to keep his feet in a steady position.
process

After I got the frames looking good, I ran the finished animation through DAIN, which uses AI to interpolate between the frames and smooth things out a bit, bringing the framerate up from 15 to 30fps.

From there, I imported the clip into DaVinci Resolve, where I re-timed some of the movements to put a bit more weight behind them, and I made some adjustments to the background, and added glow to the eyes and a bit of camera shake.
process2

16 Likes

The editing is well done.

2 Likes

really nice. the interpolation works really well tho there is some artifacting on the arms.maybe you should try RIFE next time for interpolation, it gives faster results with less artifacting (if there is a lot of depth in the shot it doesn’t work as well as DAIN. not a terrible difference though)

2 Likes

@GX_05 Thanks for the tip there! I wasn’t aware of RIFE. I’ll definitely check it out!

2 Likes

This looks very good. Incredibly smooth.

(And the build is really cool)

2 Likes