BIONICLE Story Time Scales

I actually disagree.

The lack of resources means that the residents of Bara Magna would learn to use less.

They may not be able to build skycrapers but they’ll learn better methods of obtaining food. Or ways to extract what they do have more efficiently. They’d learn better ways to recycle.

Simply saying they don’t have anything so case closed is like saying a man got lost in the desert and decided to sit on his butt until help arrives.

1 Like

There’s an entire village of plants.
There’s an entire village of water.
There’s an entire village of lava.
There are mountains worth of ice.
There are mountains worth of stone.
There is an abundance of metal, including a continent-sized robot.
Enough fuel to power vehicles for continued use in gladiator battles.
And 100,000 years of time.

2 Likes

I’ll freely admit, I’ve poorly expressed my point.

I’ll try to explain, the tribes of bara magna don’t work together, they’re too busy trying to survive in an expansive wasteland with little precious resources, they’ve never had a leader, they aren’t friends, they only think of themselves, the gladiatorial combat is basically a ceasefire between the tribes.
the reason their tech is so primitive is because the lack of resources causes the tribes to only care for themselves, they don’t share resources because of their scarcity, so they don’t have the materials for large scale industry, as well, the reason they have vehicles is, as you testified, for gladiatorial combat, which is used to decide disputes between tribes for, resources.
As we see, the only real technological advancements that they have made have been for giving themselves an advantage in combat, because they want the resources that come with victory.
It’s fairly realistic to say they’re too focused on keeping their tribe alive to work together and/or create luxuries, or any sort of advanced technology, it actually mirrors the iron age, though on a much longer time scale due to mata nui being the Rome in this analogy.

1 Like

And then Mata Nui came in and united everyone in only a few days.

Mutually assured destruction will do that, not even in regards to the gsr, the skrall were an immediate threat to the other 4 tribes, mata nui shows up and beats tuma, the skrall are still a massive threat, and then mata nui tells them there’s an even bigger threat coming, they work together then because they’ll all die otherwise, where as before then they were in a ceasefire, there was no immediate threat.

1 Like

Well then this brings up the same problem as the MU, except even worse this time:

100,000 years and nothing goes wrong and the status quo stays the same. Except the nothing is almost literal this time.

Yeah, those time intervals are really strange. On the one hand there doesn’t happen that much (especially in '06 and '07), but on the other hand it just feels wrong if everything happens so quickly - especially when half of the time you have some rookie Toa who still have to learn pretty much everything.
Especially in '08 it got really confusing, though. I mean, how long where the Toa Nuva fighting in Karda Nui? A few days? And outside other people were traveling up and down the Matoran Universe, destroying Destral somewhen in between, and stuff. At that point I have to admit that the timeline got somewhat… out of hand.

About the 100,000 years before that… well, there probably happened all kinds of stuff, the sories simply were never told.

1 Like

This would work in real life for sure; not only were the Skrall and the Bone Hunters incredibly powerful relative to the other individual tribes, Mata Nui demonstrated plenty of god-like abilities. And the threat of universal destruction is more powerful than anything else; it’s sort of like the Earth hegemony that’s in place at the start of Ender’s Game; the only reason why they’re not blowing each others brains out is out of fear of the Formics.

The really strange thing is that inhabitants of Mahri Nui were the most resource rich part of Voya Nui, and yet after they successfully preseved most of their language, intelligence, and memory after the Great Catacylysm despite the pit mutagen, not to mention plenty of their infrastructure, they spent 600 years doing nothing to explore the cord that would have formed within a year of the disaster. And their technology was not any better than that on Bara Magna. That makes no sense.

Sealife that will eat your face, and basically no light, as well as having to live underwater, they make advancements for the purpose of survival, both groups(mahri and bara) live in incredibly dangerous harsh environments, if I remember correctly, matoran went missing when they explored the cord, so they just gave up, they did manage to make an underwater city, that was born from a need to survive.
we only see luxuries, things like kohli and pies, on mata nui, the island paradise, where there are no real threats and a surplus of resources, and the turaga create a central leadership for the tribes.

Until someone ate them all…

But, really, was Mahri Nui even that bad with technology? I don’t remember (key word, there) anything too much more advanced from the MU.

It’s implied that they wre pretty bad when it came to tech. They relied on domesticated animals as their primary engine for resources like air.

True. I was mostly thinking about the submarine, for some reason.

The Bionicle Story Time Scale to me is rather riddiculous, you have events which happened 100000 years ago (with large chunks of time in between events), and then you have all the most important stuff happening in the last span of 2-3 years or 3 months…its the WoW effect all over again.

They lost the sense of scale with the timeline by artificially stretching out the times between old events, so as to artificially make it look more important and old-ish.

1 Like