Bionicle Titan Building Tips

I am building a really big titan, but I am having trouble making a body. Does anyone have any tips?

2 Likes

Are we talking takanuva 08 big, or bigger?

2 Likes

Make sure the titan wont fall on its face before you think about posing.

1 Like

Not sure what is your definition of ‘really big’.

Nonetheless a few thoughts:
-For the moc to support its weight, it’s advisable to make the torso hollow inside. Try creating a ‘ribcage’ over which you do the armoring and details.
-If you want a posable waist, you better have the pistons and balljoints to spare. Otherwise don’t bother at all or make it swiveling only if the titan isn’t too big.
-Make knee, ankle and hip joints a lot stronger than what seems necessary. The weight the torso and arms add can take you by surprise.
-Friction joints are your friend.

5 Likes

@Stuubh a lot bigger

@Emes I’ll take that into mind.

@Monarth I can show you what I mean by “really big”
This is the head.

Edited for Triple Post - Waj

1 Like

Sorry I can’t help you. I’ve never made anything much bigger than that.

1 Like

That’s okay. I didn’t expect too many people to have made such big mocs

2 Likes

If that’s the scale, let me show you something for good reference.

This is a moc of mine from 7 years ago and the largest I’ve ever built at 98cm tall:
http://images.moc-pages.com/user_images/7902/12829279181_DISPLAY.jpg

As impressive as it was, it couldn’t stand at all on its own. Even when the knees and elbows had doubled ratchets and I gave it all the support solutions I could at the time from my part collection. The ankles gave away, the knees gave away, the arms were too heavy, etc, etc. The torso was the mentioned ribcage method.

So at the very least you gotta do better than I did in the design. Keep that in mind and focus on joint strength. Otherwise your titan will fall.

As a second reference from the opposite end, here’s a successful giant from another builder: http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/106618 There’s some wip images in there, so those can be a good reference for a sturdy build.

5 Likes

Using pistons and stuff will probably help a lot. Also, depending on the size worm gear joints and double work gear joints are useful.

@Monarth Thanks for the tip! this will be very helpful.
@Omega_Tahu Thanks for the tip! this will be very helpful.

I’m not much of a MOCist, but from what I’ve heard, experience is everything. I understand the want to go out and create something complex and huge, because those types of MOCs are awesome. But, if you aren’t so experienced a MOCist, it might be better to start smaller, see what a sort-of large MOC needs, and keep building from there.

I’ve never built very large MOCs, but I know that in theory, you’d need to have an endoskeleton, and make sure you plan out how you’re going to place armor on it later. Draw out a model of the endoskeleton first, and make sure the inside is mostly Technic, and use smooth parts like CCBS shells to give your final model a polished look.

Is this a head? First I think that this is a part of the torso!

1 Like

Use multiple friction pieces, combine them with hydraulics or the ratchet connection pieces on the joints, use the ratchets on swivels as well, this will only give you around 180 rotation on the waist or shoulders but it should be sufficient.
The inner skeleton should be done before you think about armouring. But also remember that this thing probably won’t stand on it’s own.

http://www.moc-pages.com/home.php/112758
This is my Mocpages account.

Don’t make it too big! that head is oversized, my moc’s leg is smaller then that and it can arely stand

Ok, I’ll take that into mind.

Just to let you know it’s just a recommendation, big feet help quite big moc’s but the bigger the feet the stupider it will look and big feet don’t sort everything out

1 Like

thanks

This is not mine (even though I wish it was :persevere:) but this is my reply to your comment of ‘don’t make it to big’.

You can never make it too big, never… XD

Also @Toa_Infiereon does this help?

2 Likes