BIONICLE Year Discussion No.5: 2007

Yeah, I didn’t much care for it myself, though. >.>

1 Like

It was probably my second least favorite Bionicle esc song. 1st goes to Ride… I think might be the other way around.

Well. 2007 was an undoubtedly solid year on the whole. It was the first year we got Toa that looked drastically different from each other which was a nice touch. Really brought home the feel of a rag tag bunch of heroes. Of course the Barraki were amazing. My favorite canister villains of all time. They had such character in their designs which was awesome. We had a fair few Titans that year too and all were really well designed IMO. No complaints there. My one gripe with they year though was the Matoran, or lack there of.

5 Likes

2007 was a great year set-wise. I loved how the barraki weren’t just clone sets. They all had a unique build to them. The Mahri also put in more variation into the inika build as well. The titan sets were awesome, my favorite being Hydraxon. The only downside was that LIME GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!

Story-wise, I liked how it continued to build the world. City of the Lost was the first BIONICLE book I read so it has nostalgia factor for me. Admittedly, however, I always found the barraki commanding armies of animals to be silly. I know they’re old warlords trying to recapture the glory days anyway they can, but really, they’re dumb animals.

I also felt that in the grand scheme of things, there were elements in 2007’s story that felt unnecessary. You could have Matoro revive Mata-Nui in 2006, but nope, the mask of life felt like going swimming for no reason instead. It’s like you finally beat a hard game only to be rewarded with, “Sorry, your princess isn’t even in this game. Be sure to buy the next one!”

I only complain about this because it made 2006 seem a little pointless in retrospect. The Toa Inika traveled through Karzahni, found themselves on a dangerous island, faced a foe that beat the Toa Nuva themselves. They practically survived a suicide mission only for their reward to be snatched out of their hands.

Overall, 2007 was a good year. Even if squids are weird for ammo.

4 Likes

Well, I see where you’re coming from with that. However, when you look at the fact that Matoro had to go to the Core to revive Mata Nui, it kinda validates it again. The mask knew that the Inika had no way of getting to the core in time, so it was like “Follow me dudes, we gots to get here before we can wake up your god dude dudes!” (I don’t know why I made the Ignika a stereotypical surfer dude… =/)

The Ignika wasn’t just trolling around with them, it was just taking them where they needed to go. At least, that’s how I remember it being. I might have to read Downfall again just to be sure.

2 Likes

That was the reason why but it still could have been written differently. For example, the Ignika didn’t have to be in the core to revive Mata Nui. It could have sent out some energy wave once Matoro put it on, though it wouldn’t have been as dramatic as Matoro’s death in 2007. I’m not saying that this is how it should have happened, just how things could play out. The mask of life plunging into the sea is admittedly more dramatic than the Inika scratching their heads asking, “Now what do we do?”

My complaint was really a nitpick. The only years that I felt were unnecessary were 2005 and the first half of 2003.

5 Likes

2007 is my favorite year, period. I know a lot of people prefer '06, but that year felt like the story team was trying too hard to be SO SOOPER GRIMDARK and it just came off as unintentionally hilarious. 2007, on the other hand, had a more mature, understated vibe to it that I really appreciated. The claustrophobic underwater setting really appealed to me, dark in some places and beautiful in others. While I don’t appreciate that the Barraki devolved into the Piraka 2.0 in regards to backstabbing one another, I liked their initial presentation as a very cohesive, unified, terrifyingly competent force. Matoro’s death was particularly tragic to me as his Mctoran version had been my first Bionicle set back in the day, and despite the pieces breaking, I honestly love Hahli Mahri’s indigo/lime color scheme. And of course, Creeping In My Soul is an absolutely fantastic song that fits perfectly with the year’s tragic tone. I honestly find it somewhat disappointing that so many fans seem to disregard this year.

5 Likes

does anyone remember the crashed

@ColdGoldLazarus for me I didn’t like the lime green and dark blue it for me clashed colors

1 Like

And then I CRAAAAAASSHHHEED INTO YEW!

3 Likes

Move along move along like i know yaaa doooa

1 Like

That wasn’t an 07 song…

1 Like

And I went up in flames!!!

3 Likes

Could’a been the death of me…

3 Likes

@Nyran

Bring these back plz

Breathe your breath in me

3 Likes

I’ve done 08, 09, 02, 06, 03, and 07.

Was there any one in particular that you wanted out of me?

Because I have no motivation to do 01, and I dun really know what other would be most relevant/interesting… but I suppose if you guys’d like to see 01, I can do that.

Open to popular opinion

1 Like

I voted 01… and seem to have been the only one who has voted so far

2 Likes

still the inika went underwater the next year and i wanted to know if people remebered that song

“Move along” has nothing whatsoever to do with water, last time I checked.

7 Likes

Love the promotional videos for that year. Canister were really bad and lime green pieces broke very easily. Overall I liked it.

3 Likes

totally agree with hahlis picecs