Bio's NaNo Story

, so now that some of us are performing the highly arduous task of NaNoWriMo, I figured I would put my story here.

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a BIONICLE or lego related story.

DISCLAIMER: This story is a more realistic approach to a zombie-ish apocalypse scenario, so there WILL be gory descriptions, and there WILL be profanity. If this troubles you at all, it is advised you look elsewhere for an entertaining story.

I’ll post an excerpt here, and then, I will link to the document. Anyone who clicks on the link should be able to comment on the story as it progresses.

While reading, please do point out mistakes, flaws, plot-holes, errors and so on so that it is easier for me to edit this in December.

Here is the excerpt, it is meant to be a forward written by the main character to set the tone of the story. Enjoy!

Aug 12th, 2016:
It’s been two weeks since the outbreak. Two long, dark weeks. I never imagined the end to be like this. I mean, I thought about it, but never really imagined it. It started slow. First, only to major cities showed signs of infection, but the disease was already in everybody around the country. Attempts to quarantine it failed massively, so when the disease popped up here, the CDC didn’t even bother. We were almost completely on our own.
Congress, for once, got their act together and the remaining few enacted a policy making sure that utility companies and common carriers supply their goods to all sectors so that any survivors weren’t left without necessities.
There are quite a few survivors still. Last records indicate that 0.07% of the population were carriers for the disease, meaning, we can’t exhibit symptoms, but we can pass it on. The public wanted to have us killed, so any known carriers hid. I’m a carrier, and I survived without hiding, at first anyway. When the disease came to Colorado, all we had was hiding as mutilated ex-people shuffled our streets and searched for us.
I wouldn’t go so far as to call them zombies, as they were hardly the living dead, but they exhibited every other sign. Cannibalistic, forever hungry things that were not only smart, but somewhat naturally organized.
This is the part where I say I can get through this. This is where I say I believe in my ability to survive, that I have a future, and that I will matter. But, lying to myself has always been the hardest thing to do. Nobody truly understood how far humanity would fall in the apocalypse, and nobody was prepared for it. There are just too many of them, billions of them. There’s no way that we could stand a chance, not in the long run. Maybe I can last a year, five years, and if my luck persists, even ten, but it won’t matter how long I survive in this new hell. As long as we are so thinly spread, we have no hope of returning to our previous splendor.
I am leaving these… logs in my computer in the hopes that maybe one day, hundreds of years into the future, we can learn from our mistakes. I want to show you what a darkest hour truly looks like, and how, if possible, we come out of it.
~Jason Liam

4 Likes