Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

Not at all.

If Faber and Eljay are making opposing claims, then one of them must be trying to make people believe something that isn’t true. (Though I don’t think intentionally or maliciously.) Isn’t that just what “gaslighting” means?

I don’t mean it in a rude or overblown way.

I don’t particularly like getting into arguments, I just feel for a guy who seems to be passionate, talented and trying to do something nice for the community.

4 Likes

If that’s how you’ve been interpreting his posts, it’s no wonder you’re disappointed. This is the exact kind of “fake hype” that Faber’s talking about.

To me, he’s always been pretty clear that this might turn out to be nothing, and he has done nothing to fall short of those expectations. The only concrete thing that I have ever taken from any of Faber’s posts is that he might be working on something that is somehow related in some way to Bionicle.

9 Likes

Welp felt I had to post this here as well and because I feel that TTV clearly overlooked something here.

Since Faber has been getting back unto the radar of TTV I decided to revisit the old #14B2020 stream to see If there was anything we missed, I found the following quote especially fascinating and decided to breakdown and analyze its contents:

“But I just basically need everybody who is building and moccing and doing anything creative around this universe to say what will come if anything comes, we can get involved in this in a different way than earlier. Because when in 2001 when Bionicle came out or 2000, eh, you were the consumers. the consumers were handed something and you took it and you bought it and everything was good. em this is a new model um this is not about, I think its not about that you get the full package you should get the ticket and that’s actually how I feel. I feel like this guy standing with this really scrappy boat on the Harbour and trying to put stuff on trying to make it look safe. So I’m trying to invite people aboard because this is going to be a journey and I dunno what’s at the end of that Horizon, but I know having the best team aboard is going to be very cruical. I know that the journey is going to be the best thing of them all, Because who wants to get to the end point? this is not a holiday. So storytelling is eh is about this uncertainty I think and that’s why all the cryptic, cryotical, cryptic stuff has come out, its quite fun you know, eh, that it has been mentioned so many times. I’m still very cryptic you know its, I can’t really do anything else.”

“But I just basically need everybody who is building and moccing and doing anything creative around this universe to say what will come if anything comes, we can get involved in this in a different way than earlier.”

Here Faber is talking about getting help from the community and how he wants to work with fans to make this reality. Unlike how G1 was made by LEGO and its employees.

“Because when in 2001 when Bionicle came out or 2000, eh, you were the consumers. the consumers were handed something and you took it and you bought it and everything was good. em this is a new model um this is not about, I think its not about that you get the full package you should get the ticket and that’s actually how I feel.”

Again here Faber tries to communicate how this new project will differ from the original toy line and how instead of being at the receiving end, you could if you wanted to, help make it and this is something he apparently wanted to do with the community.

“I feel like this guy standing with this really scrappy boat on the Harbour and trying to put stuff on trying to make it look safe. So I’m trying to invite people aboard because this is going to be a journey and I dunno what’s at the end of that horizon, but I know having the best team aboard is going to be very cruical. I know that the journey is going to be the best thing of them all, Because who wants to get to the end point? this is not a holiday.”

Here Faber is talking about his posts which is the stuff the salesman(him) is cramming on the boat to make people less reluctant to go on. “This is a journey and I dunno what’s at the end of that horizon” It seems to me that he is referring to that he doesn’t have a final plan yet of the project and that would people choose to join him they, we could find out together.
“but I know having the best team aboard is going to be very cruical. I know that the journey is going to be the best thing of them all, Because who wants to get to the end point? this is not a holiday.” This next sentence is building on the last and what he is implying by my understanding is that whoever it is he might depart with he hopes that this team has what it takes to get them through this project safely.

“I know that the journey is going to be the best thing of them all, Because who wants to get to the end point? this is not a holiday.”

Here he is referring to the fact that he has been on a similar journey before aka the original Bionicle and that the best part about that experience was the experience of doing it not the final product. Again further cementing the idea that he wants to bring others on this journey so that he can share this experience with them.

So storytelling is eh is about this uncertainty I think and that’s why all the cryptic, cryotical, cryptic stuff has come out, its quite fun you know, eh, that it has been mentioned so many times. I’m still very cryptic you know its, I can’t really do anything else."

Here he continues with saying that storytelling is an uncertainty and to tell those you can’t expect what will happen next cause anything can change. He goes on to explaining that he is being cryptic and how because if everything was revealed it would defeat the purpose of telling the story. Which in other words mean I can’t give you everything know because if I did why would you be apart of it when it finally happen.

4 Likes

You’re also not making a false promise. If people follow you, and you keep making jokes, they keep following. If you stop making posts, people move on and that’s that.

A better analogy would be if you post on Twitter saying you plan to make a comedy video, then spend two years teasing this video and never make it.

Faber has promised, through his posts, something people want to see. People are following him because they want to see that promise fulfilled, not just to see cool concept art.

Again, if he was just posting art, no one would have a problem.

That is exactly how Faber wants it to be interpreted. That’s not on the “fans”, that’s on him.

5 Likes

I began discussing the image in question at 26:48. I finished talking about it at 28:08. You’re wrong. Apologies for being blunt, but like… you’re just wrong. It’s not a “central element,” it’s a footnote at best, and one I stand by as being an example of his needlessly wordy, unclear, and meandering posts. My “harsh title” is in reference to the three consecutive posts deliberately flagging BIONICLE by spelling out its logo and sneaking in UDD references, followed by their deletion and both blaming the fans for having expectations at all while telling them to stop waiting around for him to do something.

I’m sure you’re right, to be honest. Unfortunately, that becomes part of the problem to me; if any negative feedback is construed as meaningless or unwanted, then you probably shouldn’t aim to be a creator that produces content for a large fanbase of people with diverse opinions. Eventually, someone isn’t going to love something that you do; but that feedback is not inherently hateful, it’s all part of the process of discussion, self-reflection, and critical thinking. People who are willing to better themselves and their work while being humble about the things they do should never mistake criticism for hatred.

I made a whole video about that livestream last year where I dissect his wording and read out a bunch of quotes verbatim. Trust me, I missed nothing. None of what he said in that livestream amounts to anything tangible or of substance, just his desire to incorporate fan involvement which… is a very nice idea, but doesn’t really tell us anything about what kind of product we could be anticipating other than it probably won’t be the traditional BIONICLE format, in which case, a large portion of his audience will be disappointed (which is perfectly okay, by the way; just maybe an undesirable outcome for him).

The only other concrete and tangible thing that was learned from the livestream is that Faber doesn’t see a future where ball joints are viable because of the oil needed to produce them, which tells me he doesn’t put much value on traditional LEGO sets or products for his project, which… again, is something the majority of his audience likely hasn’t wrapped their heads around yet.

Clear and concise messaging regarding these ideas and visions that aren’t contained in a rambling livestream would do wonders to check expectations. That’s all I’m saying!

7 Likes

The part where he said “I’m Christian Faber”.

The part where he dumped loads of concept art for multiple projects because the man is a project art machine. The part where he released a trailer for his concept pitch for Rebel Nature. The part where he did literally anything because all of his posts say that.

The April 1st date was meant to turn heads. If it was a joke the punchline would’ve landed by now, not more substance to the joke.

You seem to have ignored this part.

If it’s just an original creation in the world of Bionicle Faber would’ve said so by now. If this was a fanfic - of his own work, mind you - Faber wouldn’t be so maddeningly non-specific about anything in relation to it. The fact that he isn’t, hasn’t shown any sign of that, continues to act as if there’s something he’s building towards, likely wouldn’t juggle making an AU in the middle of everything else he’s ambitiously trying to accomplish, and that you’ve got nothing to go off of for this except his highlighting the O and C of Bionicle, all lends to me believing you’re wrong.

Also because he likely highlighted the pair (and made the C a complete circle, check the post) to illustrate the two icons of blue fog likely being indicative of the two major islands to show how where we’re going, we don’t need islands

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation in which a person or a group covertly sows seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or group, making them question their own memory, perception, or judgment.[1] It may evoke changes in them such as cognitive dissonance or low self-esteem, rendering the victim additionally dependent on the gaslighter for emotional support and validation. Using denial, misdirection, contradiction and disinformation,[2] gaslighting involves attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim’s beliefs.

No it’s more of a pretty serious accusation. Granted, I can’t blame Eljay for jumping to use the term when he’s been on the receiving end before.

All Faber needs is one statement - ONE - that says that something exists and progress is being made. It will absolutely save his hide and be the saving grace if his entire project goes under.

Also hi again Faber, how was lunch

7 Likes

This. So much this.

This is the Skrall shield of biovival. Faber used the O and C because they’re round, not to convey a message.

And if he was trying to say “this is an original creation, not bionicle”, then he’s doing a comically bad job. Just say it, Faber, don’t hide important messages in nonsense cryptic posts.

5 Likes

Obviously because at that stage he hadn’t even gotten that far he even stated that april 1st 2020 was the date he wanted the project to truly kick off, Its totally locigal why he didn’t have a finish idea of what product he wanted to make but he explained very clearly what he wanted the project to be hence why I found that particular quote so interesting while rewatching that stream recently. Since that streams entire purpose was to setup his plans for the project not what or what will not come out of it. Hoping on an end product or anything close to the description of one at that stage is probably the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

What he also made clear in that stream was that the year before that stream was a prelude and a build up he had no intention of starting the project properly until april 1st 2020 and we also know that the project got delayed further due to complications due to covid 19 and as far as I know the pandemic is still a thing. Hoping that Faber has a product at this point is the stupidest thing ever products can take several years to develop.

Why do you think the DJ alien minifig is dabbing on its vidiyo packaging? not because its a trend anymore but because it was developed in a time where the dab was relevant and only now is being released. How old could that make Vidiyo I dunno 3 maybe 4 years old.

And based on what we know from what Faber said at most Faber has been working on this continuesly for a year minimum as the period 19-20 was just a phase to test the waters.

Ultimately expecting some product reveal at this stage is dumb, he has explained his goals with the project so there is really no reason to blame him for stringing people along.

3 Likes

Because LEGO knows I have no soul and will laugh at this poorly integrated cultural trend?

Don’t do that.

You don’t know what you’re starting.

4 Likes

instagram hashtag activity go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

3 Likes

If he hasn’t been able negotiate rights yet, due to the pandemic delaying meetings, then his idea might turn out to be either BIONICLE or OC, depending on whether he gets the right to the name he wants. (Which is what I say in the bit you quoted.)

Smoke effects having a big top wispy bit and a smaller bottom wispy bit is just because that looks good aesthetically.

It also happens that the same logic applies to fictional island maps. Any further similarities are brought by the viewer.

1 Like

Really? Because it sure reads like “this is going to be an OC which is definitely what he’s saying and he definitely didn’t already have a backup name in case the deal fell through”

Because Racie’s statement makes more sense here:

And probably also to say he couldn’t get the name Bionicle

Call it what you like, but when they’re proportioned the same, are the same sizes as the original in comparison to each other, and is being used in a fanbase and fandom where the shape of the island is one of the most memorable portions of the entire line… Either a completely inane coincidence occurred or it was 100% intentional.

And something tells me Faber wouldn’t not sneak an easter egg in if he had the opportunity.

4 Likes

Y’all need to chill and really step back for a moment. Should Faber be less vague and cryptic about whatever he is/was working on? Yes. But those who are angry at him for not bringing Bionicle back have no one but themselves to blame. People need to get their expectations in check.

Like, he hasn’t worked for Lego for many years now. Expecting him to bring Bionicle back is simply delusional, no matter what he posted on his social media.

11 Likes

Except for the part where he wants people to think he’s bringing bionicle back.

When the guy who might actually have the ability to bring bionicle back, says he’s going to bring it back, and then doesn’t, people get upset.

5 Likes

When and where did he literally say in clear words he is bringing it back?

2 Likes

What size comparison? Mata Nui and Okoto have never appeared in an image together. They’re not even the same generation.

Yeah, which is why I can remember that Mata Nui isn’t the same shape as that random blob of smoke.

2 Likes

When did he say he won’t?

1 Like

He’s said nothing clearly. That’s the entire ■■■■■■■ problem.

2 Likes

When he said that nothing was confirmed like 50 times in his 14b2020 stream

5 Likes

So clearly not Faber? What makes you think he would have this ability lol, he isn’t even an Advance employee anymore

3 Likes