Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

this is also my exact thoughts

Whoops, I’m back. (Bolding mine.)

Just spent 20 mins Ctrl-F ing back through all Faber’s instagram posts and couldn’t find a single instance of the word “support”. Couldn’t see anything with the same meaning (ie asking for support / follows /shares etc.) either.

Disclaimer: I only got as far as the start of #biovival, please don’t make me do more. :sweat:

1 Like

He did correlate them,

this first paragraph sets up the second one.

Because I “agree” with Callan ergo a rational conversation is not possible.

2 Likes

Yeah, there is quite honestly no productive reason to share those posts by him here. Either make your points and discuss it with those here, or don’t. We try not to mention Callan and let bygones be bygones, but it doesn’t seem to work. Speak out against him, and suddenly we’re the bad guys. Lose lose.

That said, that discussion ends here. Any further discussion related to him will result proper reprimand.

6 Likes

This topic is the car crash and I can’t look away.

16 Likes

That’s the thing. There’s no means for us to support him beyond us existing in the Bionicle community and continuing to make things. When I see stuff in this thread, it kicks my brain off with ideas for Bionicle Eternal. Which is ultimately why I’m fine with this whole thing. He’s currently asking nothing of us beyond continuing to do what we do. The way he speaks about the community in the TEDx Talk is, I feel, something of a pitch to prospective investors - I created Bionicle twenty years ago, and although the theme has been over for half of that time, the community is still out there, still creating, and I still hold leverage over them. [Note that this is speculation on my behalf, and I’m autistic - I often misread social cues]

I consider myself a supporter of Faber even though I don’t directly interact with him in any way. I don’t have an Instagram account to follow him with, and there’s no other direct avenues - see my earlier comment about us standing on the beach. But I like his ideas and what they inspire in myself, and so I wade out into the shallows and I begin to swim. I am at the start of my career, and although I can scarcely see Faber’s yellow submarine, deep beneath the waves, it inspires me nonetheless.

4 Likes

Just to provide a third party perspective, the problem is that you’re arguing a point for somebody else that isn’t even involved in this particular conversation to begin with, so your message can greatly differ from his despite what you read on the surface. Regardless of where you stand personally with Callan or Eljay… Argue your own points.

We want to avoid addressing an echo chamber that twists the narrative. No more “he said she said” (unless it’s a quote from Faber since that’s literally the topic of discussion, obviously). The channel’s relationship with Callan aside, we would prefer if you make your own arguments based your own personal deductions of the situation.

Hope that clears things up for anyone reading this exchange. Carry on.

18 Likes

this entire process reminds me in a way of how five nights at freddy’s games work when they’re being developed (‘oooh fnaf cringe’ i’m young i have an excuse). it usually goes like this:

• the game is announced
  • we get really vague hints towards stuff
  • all the sudden we get really big information on the game
  • it’s released like the next day

i think this is similar to how things are gonna go down. i don’t think christian is going to give us much information until he’s… y’know… got something to show. he’s still pitching this to people, after all. i don’t think he would pitch something that has enough form to actually tell us about. yeah, sure, he probably has a general idea, but what if he pitches this to… i don’t know… hasbro, or something? the final product is gonna be way different then if he got lego on board.

well, that’s my two cents. don’t go too hard on me, my mind is small and undeveloped.

2 Likes

The thing is the game hasn’t been announced yet… that’s part of the problem. We’re getting the hints without knowing whether the hints are for something or merely to inspire us to create our own stories

5 Likes

I did not want this take it back.

If you do this, in general, I think you need to re-think your position. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

You need to let go the topic wasn’t your fault

You will accept Kopaka vs Elsa and make it a constant part of your life. Your marriage will depend on your opinion of Kopaka vs Elsa. On your deathbed you will remember Kopaka vs Elsa and you will weep.

Stop being meta

I think my analogy got across? It also got buried by ARG discussion and etc. so hopefully it wasn’t entirely ignored by its intended audience.

8 Likes

Do you not think I am already doing this?

oh shoot uh gotta stay relevant to the topic or Prentice will murder me. (Now I realize how people thought of me when I was as a mod.)

TBH an ARG sounds fun for BIONICLE if it was done right. But if the message is, “just have BIONICLE’s community alive and well again” well that’s already happening Mr. Faber. Just look at TTV or Custom BIONICLE Wiki or BS01 or BZPower. There are still people interested in Bonkle.

The regret I have is that LEGO brought BIONICLE G2 back too soon. Nowadays people are getting the BIONICLE nostalgia. They could have capitalized on that.

5 Likes

I think the intent, going by the TEDx Talk, is for it to be both. Faber talks about how we need to redefine what our creative media is within society, his intent with that creative media to spark the minds of others. The section towards the end where he talks about Rebel Nature… I think that’s the important and relevant bit here.

3 Likes

“ARG” is the noise I’m gonna make if Faber dodges the interview and keeps being needlessly cryptic.

11 Likes

I left for literally 2 hours to write an exam and this is what I come back to?

Y’all special

<3

Anyways, wouldn’t be opposed to an ARG (considering how good Faber is at being cryptic, it could be fun) but I dunno what shape it could even take today. Destiny’s ARG’s, for example, are great but also kind of rely on the abilities of a multi-million dollar company to pull off. Sans something vaguely MNOG ish I couldn’t even begin to think of how one could go.

5 Likes

I left for 20 minutes to take an exam, and I didn’t miss anything.

Neither did you though, don’t worry.

2 Likes

Will do, eventually. Thanks for the slides!

First-impression thoughts just on these, it’s a good analogy for the general creative mind. I’ve watched and listened to a lot of concept artists talk about this sort of thing. You start off with the passion and the creativity, but slowly your ocean gets degraded over time by reality and practicality and jobs and careers and bills. But, many veteran artists move forward with their own personal passions once they have gained that experience. Often you need to pay your dues to get to a place where doing that is possible. That’s when you can really step into that ocean.

How this translates into a 'totally different way" or some new sort of experience, I’m not sure yet. I’d like to know, and perhaps it will be explained once I watch the video. We’ll see!

Never.

Also, I totally nailed it, didn’t I?

Enough for me to make a complimentary parody analogy about fan reaction to this project.

So, yes.

4 Likes

Y’know, I used to go to sleep and wake up to see the canon contests would gain over 200 new posts in that time.

Apparently whoever wished it would slow down must’ve used a monkey’s paw, because here we are at it again.

8 Likes

just for you bb

Then my life’s work is complete.

7 Likes

If it is an arg, I seriously hope that he doesn’t send any codes our way

3 Likes