Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

Does the sci-fi mean we could see a HeroFactory crossover

I, for one, would be indescribably elated if something happened, because, as I’ve said numerous times, I would love to enjoy Bionicle while it’s actually alive…

I would also be interested in a new cast of characters, just saying.

5 Likes

Faber is European
Timestamps in America are month, day, year
Elsewhere it’s day, month, year
October 3rd, 2019

BUT HEY
THAT’S JUST A THEORY

6 Likes

Well I hope this gets off the ground. As for sets I don’t have high hopes consider how much respect g2 got on legos side.

2 Likes

Pretty much how I feel, to be honest. G2 wasn’t exactly handled too well, so I’m a bit skeptical whether or not this’ll spawn yet another Bionicle constraction line if it becomes a thing. I’m not sure whether or not G2’s failure was due to sales, but if it was, then I’m not sure if retailers are gonna want to give Bionicle another chance after failing its second go-around.

7 Likes

What if this is like super sci-fi Bionicle. Like Bionicle in space. Well more in space than previous bonkle.

6 Likes

@Kardax I could see that; planets instead of islands, maybe a plot point of the toa team getting used to different cultures and / or having to switch from sci-fi to a more fantasy powers, etc.

@Chedzu I’m not sure about the retail side but judging off the art book the design team had some great ideas; it’s just that lego made the toys too expensive for kids and the story and characters weren’t interesting enough, not to mention the fact that it was online and Netflix exclusive so no general audiance that wanted them after seeing an ad on tv. Even elves had a better series and story then JTO and the bionicle g2 shorts.

And don’t even get me started on the nonexistant advertising; it’s like lego themselves wanted it to fail like it did.

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

6 Likes

So yeah, G2 was something and I respect it, but it was LEGO who mishandled it. If G3 ever becomes a thing, that I hope they will learn from the mistake and make it the way they should have been.

2 Likes

Mishandling is an understatement.

2 Likes

Being a huge sci-fi and Bonkle fan, I’d convulse on the ground with excitement.

Ohhhhh yeah, definitely. Really loved what I saw on the G2 artbook. If a G3/G1 continuation happens, I’d definitely love to see some of these designs get some love.

4 Likes

When I first saw this, my first inclination was that this won’t be a toy line, per se.

Perhaps Faber’s intention is to reboot the series focusing more on the story, characters, etc, rather than put the toys first like most LEGO lines do. That would take it in a direction more appropriate to the fans of the original line than to TLG’s target range of young children. If G2 was any indication, marketing the line to the children of the current decade was unsuccessful.

I haven’t watched any of TTV’s coverage, so I dunno if this thought has been brought up before.

9 Likes

I won’t get my hopes up.

But man g3 sounds like something I want.

7 Likes

There were many factors that contributed to the unsuccess of G2, not just that “This decade’s kids don’t like constraction”. It was the lack of LEGO’s interest in the theme that led to it being unsuccessful. If they would really have cared, they would have pushed them as far as they could, like with the LEGO Movie 2 sets. Those sets are nothing amazing (in fact they are actually kinda bad IMO), but due to LEGO’s imense marketing push, they succeeded. Let’s not mention how they focused more on the Star Wars Buildable figures more on G2 itself. Despite the fact they sold even worse than G2, they continued to produce them up to 2018… two years more than G2, which is quite some time to be honest.

3 Likes

I would love that. It would be up to the community to make mocs for the story, leading to a boost in creativity.

Totally agreed.

4 Likes

The thing is BIONICLE is LEGO’s property, so even if Faber still holds close contact with LEGO, he won’t be able to reboot it without LEGO’s permission. And since LEGO’s interest is to make money selling toys, why would they reboot the theme just for the story? So yeah, without the sets, I am affraid Bionicle can’t exist.

6 Likes

Yeah, I know that. I said that I would love it, not that it would be possible.

2 Likes

And honestly I myself probably care about the sets more than the story. Because, once again, the story is just something that should be based off the sets, not the sets should be based off the story (when it comes to LEGO). What would we collect if there were no Bionicle sets, just the story?

1 Like

Oh yeah. Totally agree.

Regardless of its standing with an official LEGO reboot, I am excited to see what Faber has in store.

5 Likes

I am honestly super excited to see where this is going to go, and hopefully it does go somewhere.

It seems like, from Faber’s posts, he has something planned that does involve LEGO, but I’ve honestly been getting my hopes up that if that should fall through (which is probable), then he might somehow, someway, gain the rights to the line and start developing it as a multimedia franchise.

Imagine a new Bionicle focusing entirely on the story, composed entirely of art pieces, literary pieces, maybe comics and videos. Something like the world of SCP, but for a sci-fi fantasy theme. That would be super awesome, and an amazing way to continue the spirit of the line without the baggage of toy sales restricting it.

Whatever it is, it definitely seems it’s going to be aimed towards older fans. Faber has talked about how Bionicle could make a relevant return to modern culture by focusing more on the idea of “the moral of the machine,” and AI technology. It really is a modern issue that needs something to address it in a new way, and if Bionicle could become that thing…that’s just amazing. And led by the guy mostly responsible for the original property in the first place? A dream come true.

From Faber’s Instagram:
"Wow!!! Everybody. This reaction makes me want to drive directly to Billund for a meeting about “youknowwhat”. I will bring all your energy and thoughts and fight for some kind of small light in this dark passage. Thank you for all this. I had to use 1st of april for this because maybe it ends up with a steep drop into an abyss. Like all risky adventures this is a pure leap of faith! I will keep you postet… :thumbsup:"

14 Likes

I don’t know what this is…

…but I’m trying to contain my interest in case it doesn’t pan out.

…It’s not working, though…

8 Likes