Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

I would like to think most of us are more mature than when Hero Factory kicked off, but I’m still kind of nervous about the idea of people treating Faber’s project the same way if he were to outright say it’s going to be something new. I’m not saying he shouldn’t make something new, though, to be clear - I just want us fans to stay supportive, even if it turns out not to have the Bionicle name attached anymore.

And that’s the reason for my earlier comments; I think a positive reaction is more likely to happen if we walk into this expecting “something Bionicle-inspired but basically new IP” rather than “basically Bionicle but maybe a new IP.” And if it does turn out to be Bionicle outright after all, we can all be pleasantly surprised; but unless that happens, we should be approaching it with an open mind on what to expect.

/soapbox

7 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/By20EeLHoe1/

New post from Faber, featuring a new banner spread over two pictures. This is definitely BIONICLE-related.

7 Likes

…because money is the root of all evil, holy ■■■■ baskets, it all makes sense…

Regarding copyright, Lego owns the rights to the designs of the Toa, but can’t claim their names because they’re mostly words from Maori, and Onua and Gali apparently come from some African language. Indeed, most early G1 names are taken from existing languages, and some afterward appear to be modified versions of some words–“Vahki” might be taken from the Finnish “väki,” or “strength,” or it may be from the Icelandic word “vaki,” or “hormone,” based on their role in Mata Nui’s body and what inspired the concept of the GSR.

So Faber can probably scoot by with the names, but literally just adding Tahu ‘n’ Friends probably won’t fly. A set of characters that follow in their footsteps in some way will have to suffice, perhaps with a different collection of powers and maybe even a different head count. If Faber wants to use the name “Bionicle,” then he absolutely can’t monetize it; but we’ve only seen the first 4 letters, so the rest of the name may spell out something different enough for him to sell.

5 Likes

Boy, does that artwork look gorgeous! It just gives you a sense of amazement and hope at the same time!

5 Likes

Daaang, that’s gorgeous, and a brilliant idea; really reframes the last couple of images we saw.

4 Likes

That looks AWESOME!

Faber’s definetly doing something there!

5 Likes

For those who can’t see it: “Substratum” #14B2020

13 Likes

Ooh…

What if his project isn’t focused on other planets, but underground? Sub means under, and stratum means rock…

Could the story be what the Mata Nui robot left behind when he stood up?

Assuming this would be part of the same universe, of course.

5 Likes

That’s something I’m so excited about once we see more of this project, and if my theory turns out to be right. Bionicle has been many things, but it really excites me to think about a dark, mature take on the various aspects of the theme that attempt to send a message similar to modern sci-fi films or novels.

For the first time, Bionicle (or more likely an IP nearly identical to it) could really take the robotic and technological elements and ask some interesting questions concerning their place in an organic world, or explore if their minds are truly alive despite their mechanical nature.

For some reason I keep thinking about the Alien franchise and how the original Xenomorph was biomechanical in aesthetic. A lot of Faber’s illustrations of the characters and the canisters have been reminding me of that Giger-tech style, and it’d be cool to really explore the psychology and philosophy of biomechanical beings. Like, what if their self-identity is determined by their environment? What if some act more like the tribal G1 or G2 characters because they are stranded on an organic island. but some are more in tune with their mechanical nature because they’ve spent their whole life on a spaceship? Different philosophies about technology and nature waging war on each other. That’d be really awesome.

6 Likes

Time for some more highly speculative theorizing.

I have highlighted some noteworthy points in the image.

• Red: these lines in the ice could, of course, just be very pronounced cracks, but they also look a bit like metallic tendrils or other structures
  • Pink: These rocks/ice-chunks look like they’re falling, which could possibly hint towards some kind of cataclysm connected to the Toas awakening or a general structural unsoundness of the world
  • Yellow: The figure looks like it has a shoulder pad. This is either just a random detail or concrete characterisation of this not yet defined character
  • Green: A noble Akaku!?!?!?

I’m definitely probably reading too much into this, but it is fun to theorize nonetheless.

5 Likes

######Almost 100% certain that’s just rock.

Can we get a new Skrall Shield emoji reaction for over-analysis?

Also:

7 Likes

Alright, so here’s the definition for those who don’t want to bother Googling it:
“an underlying layer or substance, in particular a layer of rock or soil beneath the surface of the ground; a foundation or basis of something.”
This may be symbolic: we’re starting to get past the first layer of the ogre of mystery and into the “substrata,” or the part where we actually get some substance. There’s gonna be less smoke and mirrors from here on out.

I doubt that “substratum” refers to the actual image because, as @PakariNation99 noted, Faber clarified that that little GSR-looking dude isn’t underground. What’s above him is probably ice, likely meaning he’s on an ice planet of some kind, or at least under an ice cap. This would fit if Faber wants to incorporate environmentalism into 3IONICLE, with this planet/biome corresponding to our real-world ice caps, threatened by climate change.

The little dude there also seems to be alone in the cave, so if it’s a re-imagining of Ko-Wahi that he’s in, he may not find civilization until he takes a very long walk, if there’s anybody down there at all. In fact, this whole region may be…

…and we might see similarly drastic changes to the other elemental zones, if there are any.

4 Likes

I have the feeling that Faber is toying with me, making me see things that are not there, it’s almost like 2015 all over again…
(/s, just in case)

5 Likes

They’re obviously part of a Skrall shield pattern.

~W12~

6 Likes

Looking closer at the figure, I noticed something…

If you look very close, you can see those gaps above the waist, which look awfully similar to well… this:

Maybe that’s just me, but you can clearly see the similarity.

11 Likes

So the only logical conclusion here is that that place is bloody huge!:joy:

7 Likes

Obviously, the GSR is inside a larger, greater spirit robot.

8 Likes

Or it’s a Toa Mata body. Which has a similar shape to Mata Nui’s body.

9 Likes

I have 100% no idea what this is gonna be but I’m 100% Hype for whatever this is gonna be!

also

@TheOnlyGuyWhoLikesMistika… don’t be a killjoy…

3 Likes

I never realized that, but you’re right! Like the Toa were built in Mata Nui’s image.

7 Likes