Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

This reminds me, if they did this whole climate change thing, wouldnt that make Tahu implicitly the bad guy and kopaka implicitly the ultimate hero?

5 Likes

Not necessarily, Climate change goes both ways.

1 Like

I doubt LEGO would ever make humans the villains of the heroes aren’t also humans, and even though this isn’t LEGO, Faber is pitching it to them.

1 Like

True, it could be a mixed group, good and bad humans and, (for.lack of better term) bonkles.

1 Like

If we’re talking villains - not that I think this would necessarily be the case, though I like the idea of a horde of creatures that could bring an end to the world as the Matoran equivilant (lets just call them Matoran for simplicity) know it, having been sealed in the ice on an isolated island thousands of years ago. The Toa canisters were placed there so in the scenario that the creatures are thawed out, the canisters would be too, which would in turn awaken the Toa inside who would put a stop to who / whatever is causing the creatures to be thawed out & warn the mainland.

Plot twist - this is the doing of the Matoran… kinda. In the thousands of years since the Toa canisters were placed and creatures sealed away, they have created an AI named Makuta who originally existed solely to aid scientists in creating machinery that would provide power and was their version of Siri / Cortana on everybody’s phone/computer equivalents, but it eventually expanded to the point where it was essentially controlling society. Makuta decided instead of going all Skynet on them for world domination, chose to use the Matoran instead. All of this machinery is emitting gasses into the atmosphere that lead to the atmosphere heating up to an extent that the ice began to melt.

So now we have a war on two fronts - there are these creatures escaping their captivity and making their way to the mainland who the Toa must stop, as well as this AI controlling the entire city that they need to take down before more ice melts, unleashing more creatures who could easily wipe all life from the face of the planet. Essentially, race against time which harkens back to 2002 with the Bohrok Swarms - hell, we could probably call the creatures Bohrok given their similar goals; albeit these creatures genuinely evil as opposed to Bohrok just being misunderstood good boyes doing a job that the Toa kept beating up :cry:

Definitely not going to be the case, but if Faber has something like this planned, he’d be hitting on climate change, as well as some commentary on society itself / promoting individualism which I’m sure Lego would be into.

5 Likes

My main concern is that with this clearly being Antarctica, e.g. Earth, this is going to alienate a lot of the fans. Now it’s looking more like a way to save rebel nature than Bionicle.

Also, maybe I’m just being a meanie here, but not everything needs to be a climate change message. Especially not a fantasy story about biomechanical element-wielding superheroes taking on giant animals and a cloud of indigestion which proceeds to conquer all of reality, and which would greatly suffer from a climate change moral being shoehorned in, unless Faber has achieved some master stroke in the portrait of ‘evolved Boinicle’ that he’s been painting.

Plus I really don’t want to see a version of Makuta whose nefarious, evil scheme amounted to ‘I hate the earth’. G2 had better storytelling than that by far.

8 Likes

I completely agree with this; it does seem like Faber is going that route though. I would prefer something like the original Bionicle which outside of some of their more ‘interesting’ marketing strategies, is pretty timeless. It had no overly forced / obvious social commentary and just stands on its own as a good story.

6 Likes

Well, most of that is thanks to Greg knowing how to write an excellent story off the cuff and needing to adapt to last-minute alterations. Not sure if he’d be message-free anymore if he were ever to rewrite it, but at the time he did real good.

6 Likes

I honestly think this would be an excellent fan-fic.

Agreed. Not everything has to have a social cause.

2 Likes

To be honest, I’m actually kinda excited by this.

If the original Bionicle was a biological metaphor on the scale of the human body, imagine the same thing but on the scale of the Earth. Some might consider rapid climate change a kind of “virus” that plagues the larger body of the planet, or maybe whatever things are causing the rapid changes. Either way, stopping viruses is kinda what the Toa do, so it seems rather fitting.

Either way, the topic seems to be something Faber is extremely passionate about. We’ve seen what kind of things come out of such inspiration, so if he’s just as invested in the topic as he was in his own health back in '01, this could be really cool.

I want to point out that Faber seems to be emphasizing the shape. In response to someone pointing out that it’s indeed Antarctica, Faber had this to say:

"just the most unknown place of the planet and just a shape"

So there’s still mystery here. Only our imaginations can determine what this massive, unexplored place is really hiding, Earth or not. A lot of people seem to forget that there is still a lot of our own reality that is mysterious, remarkable, and exciting. Just because it might be Earth doesn’t make it any less fantastic.

The opening line of the caption is also this:

"Shape of the future or shape of the past? "

So again, a shape. Maybe it is simply a representation after all? We can’t say for sure, but we do know that this somehow involves a lot of ice, en emphasis on past and future, and potentially themes of climate change.

I’m excited, I really can’t wait to see what this will be.

12 Likes

Or at least antihero Tahu
Which he was already on the verge of being to begin with

3 Likes

G3 is just going to be Tahu and Kopaka discussing exactly what ratio of fire / ice to use, so as to not accidentally make the situation worse.

6 Likes

I’m gonna have to stop you right there.

Tahu and Kopaka do not discuss. They argue :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Sounds like Horizon Zero Dawn…

3 Likes

In Metroid Prime 3, there’s a planet called Bryyo, which due to massive wars wound up in a locked rotation, so one side is always facing the sun and the other is always facing away; the result is a half-burning, half-frozen world with a narrow strip of jungle running along the circumference. Something like that could also be interesting to explore, in terms of a fire vs ice conflict.

6 Likes

That could be neat. I’ve seen that in other places as well, Civ BE for example.

2 Likes

No more Chima.

Or Ninjago S11 in that particular case

6 Likes

Or, Ice Planet 2002, Alpha Team, Fire Emblem Heroes, and literally every other franchise.

3 Likes

Somehow the whole concept looks more and more similar to the post apocalyptic environment of the movie “The Day After Tomorrow”.

So I assume the government failed to either reverse the process or survive and as their last hope, they invented these heroes and placed them in capsules as the “last message” from humanity. Or just a half finished project. Even better if they would turn out to be some sort of living “Time capsules”

3 Likes

Interesting thought.

I swear this topic has given me bazillion fan-fic ideas.

3 Likes