Book 1 Unity: Ga Koro

Stand Off

Krika picks up and starts running off with him into one of the tunnels.

Lewa: “Hey, what the heck!”

Krika: “Still don’t trust you.”

Nidhiki follows, but is too slow to run at the same pace.

Krika: “Run faster Nidhiki!”

Nidhiki: “I’m tired!”

As Nidhiki trotted across the floor as fast as he could. Nokama used her abilities of water manipulation to concentrate all the water ranging from the dampness on the walls, to the sweat on Tahu’s face, to the water soaking from the makuta’s; she constructs walls of water ahead of Nidhiki. Every time he bursts through a wall, another is constructed, eventually depleting his stamina to nothing. He trips on the floor, where Nokama then wraps her arm around Nidhiki’s neck and situates her trident right towards it. In order to make sure Nidhiki can’t escape, she uses her kanohi Rau, the mask of temperature change, to freeze the water around Nidhiki’s legs, rendering him emobile. Krika could have kept running, he could have ran off without a hitch, but instead he turns around. Uses one of his sharp limbs as a knife, and puts it up against Lewa’s skin as a threat.

Krika: “Looks like we’re at a standoff.”

Nokama: “Speak for yourself. The second you insert that sharp object in him’s either going to result in that mask reviving him.”

Lewa: “Still wouldn’t want to experiment.”

Krika: “What makes sure that the same doesn’t apply to Nidhiki?”

Nokama gets a bit more worried.

Krika: “This mask has been with us for the better part of a day, yet no backlash. Back in Ta Koro, the mask even reversed an injury it gave Nidhiki during a chase. What makes you think it won’t revive him?”

Nokama: “That mask only works for the specific purpose of reawakening Mata Nui. The only reason why it wasn’t hostile towards you two journeying down here, was because you two were leading it to a third mask piece, something that would be in it’s best interest if it ever were to want to reawaken Mata Nui.”

Krika: “You don’t know that! No one does. No one knows the true motives of a mask like this. We both know that the mask’s actions are beyond our comprehension. Not even us makuta fully understand it.”

Krika was correct. Nokama only said what she said in order to make sense of a senseless behavior. In reality, no one knew the true motives and actions of the mask.

Nokama: “Well if you’re so sure, then it wouldn’t bother you if I did this.”

Nokama presses the tips of her trident further into Nidhiki’s neck.

Nidhiki: “Ahhhg!”

Krika: “Nidhiki!”

Nidhiki: “No! It’s alright Krika. For the makuta!”

Surprisingly, the Ignika wasn’t healing Nidhiki’s wounds.

Nokama: “You’re willing to die for this?”

Nidhiki: “You think this is bad? I feel nothing! Kill me!”

Nokama: “If you say so.”

Nokama goes deeper with her trident.

Nidhiki: “Yahahow!”

Krika: “Stop!”

Nokama stops going deeper.

Nokama: “Why? He literally just consented to me killing him.”

Nokama looks at Nidhiki.

Nokama: “I know you makuta are all about loyalty and all that, but isn’t this, like a super important mission that any makuta would’ve abandoned their own kind for?”

Nidhiki: “We would.”

Krika: “Nidhiki! Shut up! He doesn’t know what he’s talking about.”

Nokama and Nidhiki look at each other in confusion. Krika tries to change the subject.

Krika: “Look, your vine swinger, Lewa. He hates you, hates you all. Even if I did let him free, he wouldn’t joi-”

Lewa: “Actually, I’ve changed my mind.”

Krika: “WHAT?!”

Krika’s entire body was blood red.

Lewa: “Just because you guys are funny, doesn’t mean you guys are that funny. Besides, I’ve been thinking, and you know what? Maybe living with my fellow kin isn’t that bad. At least I don’t gotta live in ”

Krika slaps his face. He could not believe what was happening to him, and to make matters worse, the matoran on Nokama’s side were laughing.

Nokama: “This is like, the worst scenario for a plan I’ve ever seen.”

Nidhiki: “It’s okay Krika! Just run for it! My death won’t be in vain!”

Nokama: “If you say so.”

Nokama penetrates even further, about halfway through Nidhiki’s neck until,

Krika: “Fine!”

Krika throws over Lewa towards Nokama.

Krika: “Happy now?! Is it over? Will the universe finally give me peace?”

Nokama: “That’s for you to decide.”

She then removes her trident from Nidhiki’s neck, melts the ice around his limbs to water, and runs off. Krika goes over to comfort Nidhiki’s energies, but instead, he is given one final slap in the face; while the matoran run away, the Ignika heals Nidhiki’s wounds. It was as if nothing happened.

Nidhiki: “Why didn’t you run? We could have been heroes?”

Krika doesn’t really know how to explain himself and simply answers,

Krika: “Please do not tell any of the makuta about this if we ever get back.”

As Lewa, Gali, and Tahu leave the cave. An incomprehensible flurry of apologies fly from one another. They couldn’t even hear each other talking.

Nokama: “Shhhh!”

Everyone becomes silent.

Nokama: “One at a time.”

She watches as Lewa opens his mouth first.

Lewa: “This is all my fault, I’m so sorry. I should’ve controlled myself and not been so selfish. I have a responsibility and should have known better.

Tahu: “It’s okay Lewa, it’s not your fault. You were conditioned to act the way you were. I should’ve been more supportive, I’m sorry for not being there when you needed a friend…”

He looks back at Nokama to see if she’s satisfied, however she still wields a frown.

Tahu: “Ugh fine. I’m sorry to you too, Gali. I should’ve been more understanding and less of a nuisance. I should’ve listened to you more and been a better team player. Us fire spitters, we tend to think of situations very black and white and because of that I’ve never treated you fairly since the beginning, I’m sorry for that.”

Gali: “I’m no better Tahu. I’m sorry for not doing the same. Us ga matoran can be very closed minded due to isolation and because of that, I treated you the same. I never realized that sometimes some of the most educated societies can sometimes be some of the most closed minded.”

Gali looks at Lewa.

Gali: “And you Lewa,

Lewa looks Gali in the eyes, it was the first time he done that since he first abandoned them. Gali’s face becomes a bit red.

Gali: “Maybe we can go on a date sometime.”

Nokama: “Oh snap!”

Lewa’s turned into a ta matoran with how red he became.

Lewa: “Um, yeah. Not yet though, first we get the job done.”

Gali: “Of course.”

All three of them then group hug. Nokama claps and a single tear drops from one of her eyes.

Nokama: “Ahhh, so cute. If only your toa were the same.”

Lewa: “Our next stop’s Onu Koro.”

Tahu: “So what are we waiting for! Let’s go!”

As Gali, Lewa, and Tahu walk their route back to shore. Lewa feels a hand grab his shoulder.

Nokama: “Before you go, I have a few questions?”

Lewa: “Sure, what’s up?”

At first Nokama looks as if she were in a daze, but then snaps back into consciousness.

Nokama: “Do you remember which arm toa Matau’s Tahtorak scar came from?”

Lewa: “What?”

Nokama: “Back in the day, your toa fought a Tahtorak on your island, is that correct?”

Lewa: “Yeah what about it?”

Nokama: “It’s just that I remember seeing him afterwards, and I saw a large scar across one of his arms, I don’t remember which one. I was hoping you’d maybe know?”

Lewa: “I don’t, sorry about that. Why does it matter?”

Nokama: “Well, when I had the green makuta hostage. Through the ice, I noticed a very similar scar across that makuta’s upper left arm. I didn’t say anything at the time, because it wasn’t the time, but you think it could be?”

Lewa: “I don’t think so. I spoke with that makuta, his name’s Nidhiki. And even though I didn’t know toa Matau that much, believe me, that makuta’s nothing like him. One’s a brave toa, while the other’s a makuta with a few screws loose. Vakama told me that he’s thought the same thing before, he’d sometimes see familiarites in rahi or matoran and thinks that maybe it’s him, but it never is. Who knows, maybe the ice distorted the scars’ look, making you think it’s toa Matau. I don’t know, all I know is that that’s not our toa.”

Nokama: “I hope so.”

Note: This a pretty short chapter relatively to the previous ones, and in my opinion, much better. This chapters basically the climax of Ga Koro and there’s only one chapter after this one till the main story goes to Onu Koro.

There’s a lot to talk about. One, I changed the kanohi rau’s mask power to temperature change. I made this change because A there’s no element of ice in this canon and B because it would make Nokama more balanced compared to the other toa’s.

Overall, I really like where the stories going. I love the dynamic I’ve created between Nidhiki and Krika, they’re like the team rocket of this story so far.

Inspiration: Dying for Pie - Spongebob

1 Like

Pretty nice ending, now they’re going to Onu-Koro! Cool job.

1 Like

Night at Sea: Night 3

A static noise fills Lewa’s consciousness. Then a high pitch violin creeks in as an image appears. A trombone plays a nostalgic toon as images slowly animate into Lewa’s consciousness. The first image was of a shadowy figure dawning the kanohi Kraahkan standing friendly next to a white figure dawning the Ignika. The second was an image of those figures arm wrestling, but they weren’t instead, instead looking like they were enjoying a friendly competition. The third image faded in, it was a similar image to the first, but this time, a third body was introduced. One that was blacked out, with no mask, isolated from the other two figures. That’s until suddenly, everything goes black, and the music ends.

Lewa’s consciousness was then thrown into a dark blue environment. His perspective looked to have been situated on a wall, the wall of what looked to be a prison cell. Lewa sees two walls next to him, one with numerous amounts of tally’s. In front of him was a wall with bars for windows and a door. At the corner of the room, Lewa sees what looks to be a head dawning the kanohi hau, mask of shielding. It’s strange however, because at the same time, it doesn’t look like a hau. It was bulky, much more bulky than hau, and it had multiple attachments. On the left side of the mask, were two blue glass bulbs, and on the bottom right looked to be attached with a broken tube. The severed head was hollow, completely lifeless, no light coming from its eye sockets.

That’s when Lewa hears a thud, and fear paralyzes him. Something squishy and slimy trudged along the hallway right outside of Lewa’s cell. Lewa can’t scream, or run, he’s instead helpless as the slosh-like footsteps become louder. Through the bars, he then sees a dimly lit creature slowly walk past. Everything was so blue and dark, Lewa couldn’t tell what it was, all he could tell was that the creature’s silhouette looked like it had tentacles. Lewa’s helplessness was unbearable, every step the creature took stopped Lewa’s nonexistent heart beat. The sliding then stops, the silhouette stops moving. Lewa watches through the bars as he sees the creature come to a complete stop. After what felt like an eternity, the creature then turned its head quickly towards Lewa’s perspective, scaring him nearly to death. From what Lewa could see, he saw three glowing blue eyes in a triangular position on what looked to be the creature’s head. He then hears what sounds like a lock being picked. His vision then suddenly cuts to the creature inside the cell in front of the door. Lewa could see it more clearly, a red and black figure with two legs and tentacle-like arms, about eight of them. Its head was bulbous, with two white fangs and outer mandibles. It looked like a cephalopod looking rahi. Words then flash in front of Lewa’s perspective, ‘Don’t be like the rest of them.’ His vision then cuts to the creature even closer, with new text flashing, ‘We’ve paid our price.’ Lewa’s vision then cuts again, this time with the creature almost covering his entire view, with the words flashing, ‘We’re not your enemy…’ Right after, the eyes of the lookalike hau light up, as if it were alive. Then everything cuts to black.

Lewa wakes, sweat dripping from his mask. This time more annoyed than anything else. This was the third time he had suffered nightmares traveling from regions, and at that point he wanted to find a way to stop them.

Lewa exits his room and prepares to head back upstairs to meet Tahu. He thinks that maybe that could help him out. However, on his way upstairs, he notices light coming from one of the bedrooms. It was Gali’s room. Lewa then rethinks his options. He comes to the conclusion that Gali would probably be more knowledgeable about his situation and instead knocks on her door. She opens the door almost immediately.

Gali: “Lewa?”

Lewa: “Hi.”

Gali: “What’s up?”

Lewa: “Well, I’ve been having nightmares recently and-”

Gali: “Lewa, you’re not sleeping with me.”

Lewa: “No, no, no, I get that, what I’m trying to say’s that I’ve been having nightmares because of the Ignika, and I was hoping that maybe you’d know something about that. Maybe give some answers as to why it’s happening?”

Gali: “Um, sure. Just give me a minute.”

Lewa waits for a while, until Gali lets him in. Her room was cluttered with books. Lewa could hardly stand from how many books were on the floor

Lewa: “Wow, you live like this?”

Gali: “Usually I have a library.”

Gali sits on her bed.

Gali: “Come, sit.”.

Lewa: “Okay.”

They both sit on the bed, using the Ignika like a lamp.

Gali: “I knew the mask makes you see things that aren’t there and stuff like that, but sadly we don’t have any solutions. The mask is relatively unknown to most of us scholars. What has it been showing you? Perhaps it’s trying to tell you something.”

Lewa: “The first nightmare I had was right after the explosion on mount Tyfus, and that one’s incomprehensible. All it did was show me horrific images.”

Gali: “Interesting, what about the others?”

Lewa: “The others were more consistent. The second one I had was of me in this prison and then a giant crab monster attacked me.”

Gali raises one eyebrow.

Lewa: “I’m serious okay.”

Gali: “Okay, what else?”

Lewa: “The next one I was in this large body of water, with millions of matoran watching me while this song was playing. Then I fall through the water and land in this dark place, where I started transforming into this green eel-like monster, while toa Vakama, Nokama, and Whenua watched me. And the most recent one was like, I don’t know. Three images flashing before my eyes and then all of a sudden, this octopus guy comes up and scares the dookie out of me. I know I sound incomprehensible, but that’s literally what this thing’s showing me, and I don’t know what it means.”

Gali: “Tell me them with as much detail as you can?”

Lewa goes on for 30 minutes explaining what he remembers about each nightmare and yet, Gali still doesn’t know what’s going on.

Gali: “What about your most recent dream? What were the images like in that one?”

Lewa: “It started off with some relaxing music and as it went along, images of two figures wearing the Kraakhan and Ignika were being shown to me.”

Gali: “I think we finally got something.”

Lewa: “Really?”

Gali: “The images could be a metaphor for the time before the Mata Nui universe even existed. Back when the makuta was one entity and was brothers with Mata Nui. The Kraakhan is usually used to symbolize the makuta, so that could mean the brother who ended up splitting into the makuta’s we know today. And the Ignikacould symbolize Mata Nui, before he became the universe we know today.”

Lewa: “Let’s go. We got something down… Wait, oh know, I forgot to tell you what was on the third image. On the third image, was a third silhouette, one with no mask and no identity. It looked like it was purposefully wiped off the image.”

Gali thinks to herself.

Gali: “Could it be?”

Lewa: “What?”

Gali: “It’s just that there’s a split between the historians at Gaaki University. There’s the fundamentalist faction that believes that there were only two brothers pre Mata Nui universe, Mata Nui and Makuta; aka what we’ve learned our entire lives. But then there’s these new history professors, who propose that there was a third party involved, a sister named Barraki.”

Lewa holds in laughter.

Lewa: “You mean like the monsters from matoran campfire stories?”

Gali: “I know, ridiculous. But they argued that it wasn’t. They believe that when the Mata Nui turned into the great spirit and Makuta split into the makuta, Barraki only split into four beings, kind of like a half measure.”

Lewa: “So why don’t those beings exist today, how do they explain that?”

Gali: “They argue that those descendents were killed some time before the great cataclysm, before Mata Nui was put to sleep. Some even argue that those descendents were at fault for the great cataclysm, not the makuta. And because of that, both the makutas and the matoran censored history to exclude the barraki out of spite.”

Lewa: “That is quite possibly the craziest thing I’ve ever heard.”

Gali: “It sounds like a conspiracy theory, yes. But the more I think about it, it starts to make more sense. Occasionally archeologists would find tablets, where it looked as if there were three siblings instead of two, where one side of the tablet would weirdly have empty space. Most matoran ride that stuff off as forged evidence, but if what you’re saying about your nightmares is true, then maybe they’re right.”

Note: Okay, Ga Koro is finally finished. It only took 3 months :skull:. The Barraki are finally teased in this chapter. Overall, Ga Koro has so far been my favorite chapter to write. Mainly because the mystery’s becoming stronger and the characters are becoming more interesting and complex. I’ll now start writing Onu Koro, which from what I have planned, will probably be better than Le Koro and Ta Koro, but worse that Ga Koro, in terms of writing and interest.

Currently I’m super hyped for the villain characters in this story.

Inspiration: Fnaf vhs tape: Memories

1 Like

Ah a very interesting ending. Surely the Barraki will play a larger part in the future…

1 Like