Brickonicle G3 Elements Poll [Worldbuilding] [Pitch]

Nah, I’m with ya man, though I agree that even though the structure of stone and rocks are CLEARLY different, not every knows that and it gets confusing- so it must be replaced I’d prefer Lightning or Metal (naturally occurring things that an ancient tribal culture could see people being able to control- rather than Plasma or Gravity or something :joy:)

It absolutely is nonsense, having control over the earth and plantlife makes no sense from a standpoint of bionicles elements, they are two completely different power sets and have no business being combined.

I can definitely see Kopaka as a Toa of Metal (calculating, cold, precise).

Pohatu the Toa of Air (since tornados, jetaarangs, speed and what not)

and Lewa Toa of Jungle (Wood if you will, make him being able to control plantlife and be connected to it…imagine the awesome Aquaman, but on land with plants).

OK seriously, why do you guys want to just drastically change everything beyond recognition?
I want answers.

3 Likes

That’s an oxymoron.

Right!?!

4 Likes

Not necessarily, these are all proposed changes. We’re discussing different ideas, some of which have more merit than others.

For example, I’ve had the thought that perhaps we could only have four toa, but still keep the six main toa around; If we go with TTV’s proposed changes to Earth, and the other three toa, we have Kopaka and Pohatu as characters who are encountered perhaps in the second year of the line. They focus on different applications of Earth and Water, with Kopaka being Ice, and Pohatu focussing on the earthy and dominating part of Earth. I’ve further extrapolated here:

I wonder what NickonAquaMagna’s ideas for a G3 would be…

No, it is actually complete nonsense. The reasoning behind merging Stone and Earth is because they’re more or less the same thing and can be used for many of the same purposes. That doesn’t apply to plants. They have entirely different applications, and from the perspective of the whole point of elemental powers, that’s basically like lumping together Water and Air because they’re both fluids.

Gravity is, according to advanced physics, the warping of spacetime, which is very much a real thing in that it’s literally everywhere. Even if the Matoran wouldn’t know what it was, the concept of the aether, which has been observed in human cultures, could be how they’d explain it. So, in a sense, Gravity could be renamed “Aether.”

He’s bulletproof, has super strength, can control water with his mind, and can summon an army of sharks. I’m sorry, why does everyone think he’s so lame?

Obviously you havent read much about Aquaman.

I wonder where the rest of his G2 revamp videos are going to air…we might never know.

Gravity would be renamed to Aether…then Vacuum would be renamed to Void.

Or Vacuum would just be canned, and Shadow would be the vacuum element. I mean, it makes sense–it would be the control over these areas of emptiness, where there’s no light or matter. It makes sense when you consider that the very concept of a shadow revolves around the absence of something (namely light).

2 Likes

Darkness is the absence of light, that doesnt mean its complete emptyness. Void is nothingness, not even darkness, not even gravity, not even space and time itself.

…How can a Toa have control over nothing…?

1 Like

K, well areas where there’s no light doesn’t exactly make for a very strong character. “Oh, fear me! I can make you not see anything! Ooooooooooh!” Meanwhile, sucking away the surrounding air would cause a change in pressure that may induce serious injury.

You make a good point, but couldn’t the powers be used for the characters to add some depth to them, or establish some kind of conflict for them to get past? Like, for example, I would imagine Toa and Matoran of Stone tend to be very stoic, unchanging, maybe, since Stones tend to be very hard, solid masses; meanwhile Toa and Matoran of Earth are more ‘grounded’ [pun not intended, I promise] and behave in ways similar to how the Earth might [its a bit hard to explain] as the Earth is more of particles, dirt, sand, and such; its always changing, if slowly, as do the Onu people. In short; the Po People often refuse to change, to the point where they have to be ‘shattered’ if they’re to change, while the Onu People accept change and are kind of like the zen people, while the Po are strict and stuff.

This could potentially put the Onu and Po people into conflict with each other [on a sub-level, perhaps] where the Po are often irritated by the Onu and their more ‘chill’ and accepting ways.

To go a little further, this could create conflict with Pohatu and the Po people as he’s more light-hearted and friendly, and even more willing towards necessary change, almost like the Onu people; ironically making the hero of the people an outcast of sorts. As for Onua? I’d see him as appearing slow, the most motion he does casually tends to be tunneling, which he does when he needs to think long and hard; he’s also at something of a conflict with the Onu because while they are accepting of change and that it is inevitable, they prefer natural change, while Onua prefers to change things himself; that’s why he tunnels, because its a change in the landscape he can control.

Also you could say that in a backstory the Earth people did in fact control both Earth and Stone, but they were too powerful and ultimately had to be divided into the two Elemental classes.

Anyway, those’re just some ideas. The original material doesn’t need to be altered just because on the surface it might not make sense to some people; in real life there are reasons for the tings that don’t at first make sense, as such, I think it would be beneficial to have material that encourages the audience to look beyond the surface for a better understanding [that sounds almost like something my interpretation of the Onu people would say…] rather than alter it for immediate convenience [which is the mistake that G2 made]

Who said it would be controlled by a Toa, These are Ethereal elements, beyond physical beings such as Toa. Beyond the boundries of the unverses understanding. These elements would be used by the Creators of the universe…a la Great Beings.

By that point wouldnt the Toa of Air be more efficient…(there I go again with Avatar inspirations).

You want some bionicle with that reboot?

I have one simple question, why? What do any of these changes actually add/improve?

Also I’ve already gone over why combining the elements the way you are both makes no sense in regards to how the elements work in bionicle, but also drastically change the meta.

If you want to make an IP inspired by bionicle do that, don’t make it wear bionicles pelt. You can only replace so many planks of a ship before it stops being the same ship.

2 Likes

Like I said, other elements would be added that can be cooler. This further backs up my point, as you say ice is “generic”, so why keep it separate?

I have a feeling you have some bias to G1 and G2, as it is a reboot. You clearly don’t see that I’m not “changing everything.” It was a simple suggestion to simply have Kopaka (or even a different Ice-user) somewhere down the line. If this was the case, Kopaka could still stay with the main cast, just aligned with a different element.

My reasons: it would allow for other element types that never got to see the light of day in G1 or G2, moving “ice” to a later point in the timeline would allow for new discoveries to be made about elemental powers (like “How many are there?”), and it would allow for different toa teams to be formed with a different combination of characters every season (like Hero Factory). Now, I could see how introducing too many main characters would make it way too convoluted, but then again, G1 swapped out the teams every few years.

Great Beings have done some ridiculous stuff in the past, but your description of Void would mean that a guy can essentially control black holes, which are rips in space-time.
And I highly doubt even a Great Being can control those.

[Nods at the Lego Movie for that bit of reference notice]

You doubt yourself to even control the universe you created…you are a weak creator of your Lego universe. Give Finn a try. (implying that the great Beings are us, the humans just like in the Lego Movie).

Sorry if this is confusing since everyone is giving their own ideas…this is not something that is a solid idea which was created over years of planing, its just an afternoon thought process.

This doesn’t justify any of the issues that the Stone/Earth debacle creates; especially the one about newcomers not really getting it. They’re still not justifiable as different power sets. That is the main problem.

That makes no sense, though. Having control over rocks wouldn’t make Earth an OP element.

Only above-ground, and they couldn’t extend their reach through walls or anything. They also couldn’t counter Light.

But your changes have no benefit whatsoever except cutting Stone. Kopaka is fine as a Toa of Ice, and I can’t really picture anyone that edgy using anything but Ice.

Both problems are easily solved without the drastic changes you propose:

1. In later story arcs, a new set of Toa arises from the Matoran population to help the Toa Mata. These would have the remaining 6 elements not covered by the previous main cast.
  2. All the elements are represented by the Matoran people. Aside from those who comprise the main villages, there’s also specific elemental minorites, like Vo- and Bo-Matoran.

Why is that good, though? It makes things harder to keep track of; and again, this makes it harder for newcomers to get into the line.