Brickonicle G3 Elements Poll [Worldbuilding] [Pitch]

Well, given this:

And this:

And this:

All culminating in this:

Ice is probably gonna go to lightning, so maybe we should talk about that…

mfw

From the perspective of practicality, this move makes no sense. Ice and water are the same molecular substance, but they are not at all the same in their use.

4 Likes

In essence, Earth in Bionicle has been just defined as “dirt”, Var’s concept extended that definition to be the manifestation of the actual Earth. That is, nature and vegetation, parts of what you would consider to be the planet.

We’re just using this alternate defintion to define Onua’s powerset.

How will this new definition affect the setting of Onu-Koro or it’s equivalent?

1 Like

But that decision still doesn’t really line up. Plants aren’t part of the ground. The only plant matter contained in dirt is merely the decaying material in soil. I’m not sure how many people would consider plants “part of the planet” any more than the ocean or atmosphere. It just seems simpler to give Onua the Stone powerset along with Earth, and relegate Pohatu to, based on the polls, Lightning.

And if the move were simply to make Onua a Toa of Plantlife instead of Earth, I’d accept that. Pohatu could get all ground/rock powers then instead of Onua. My issue lies in combining two powersets that don’t really have that much to do with each other. Earth entails earthquakes, eruptions of the ground, and as most people would say when not talking about Bionicle, throwing rocks. Plantlife entails creating living plants to strangle, block off, or emerge from under targets. Merging Earth and Plantlife is like merging Plantlife with Water or Air.

5 Likes

I’d like to see farms, as I think @Eljay mentioned, possibly more for medcine/healing rather than food (depending on if Matoran can actually eat in this G3).

On a completely unrelated note (to this post), I’ve update My Element Ideas Topic, further fleshing out the elements and powers I’d like to see in the Toa Mata.

So read it… or don’t.

What I’m more curious about is whether or not it’s still underground or in a cave, I think that was central to it’s moteif of being so close to the earth that you are actually surrounded by it. I’m not sure how the ch as need would affect that or how I would feel about those effects.

I noticed this and am mulling it over before I respond. Also doing my job so I don’t get fired.

1 Like

To add to this, plants need light to live. Underground, that’s not really easy to get. Unless there are big holes in the ceiling through which other villagers may enter or exit, and that’s where plants grow, the only way for the plant motif to be worked into the setting is if the roots of Le-Koro’s forest (or any forest, I was just thinking we should go with the one we already have) reach down into Onu-Koro.

1 Like

Well, not all plants, but yeah.

Could be interesting…

This is pretty much what I was thinking.

4 Likes

Personally, I’d like to see them set on black colored Mountains, so the sunlight could still adequately photosynthesize their crops, but have caves in the mountains where the matoran would live, train, sleep, etc.

Please, do work! I’d hate to be the cause of you getting fired!

1 Like

Interesting…

Oh don’t worry, my job takes practically no brain power, in fact there are long periods of time where I’m just staring off into space.

1 Like

Dear Mata Nui I’m not reading this whole thing.

Now that I’ve skipped down, I finally got the chance to listen to the latest TTV podcast and I love Var’s idea for the earth element. Lego has actually done something similar in the Elves line, having Farran the Earth Elf control plants as well as dirt. I still believe there is room for Pohatu and Kopaka in the team, but should just the original four (earth, wind[air], and fire [and water]) elements be kept, I would like a pair of Pohatu and Kopaka like characters joining the Toa on their quests, following them around like R2-D2 and C-3PO. One of my favorite aspects of G1 is the Pohaut/Kopaka dynamic and that was also one of my least favorite aspects of G2 (among other things).

Ok then… You may want to read the last twenty or so so that you know what’s going on.

Congrats?

Most people do.

Ditto

Personal issues with Onua’s new powerset aside. This actually does sound like a cool setting. I’m down with it if this is where TTV is taking it[quote=“JonBlueFire, post:816, topic:33898”]
Personally, I’d like to see them set on black colored Mountains, so the sunlight could still adequately photosynthesize their crops, but have caves in the mountains where the matoran would live, train, sleep, etc.
[/quote]

I also like this along with the farm idea. Is there a current thread talking about Matoran culture? If not, someone should start one after TTV reveals their more-or-less final decisions on the elements in the next podcast

Living the dream, man~

3 Likes

If ice did go to lightning, what would the setting be?
I know @Oomatu wanted it to be mountain still with Static electricity and stuff, would could work, but then it kind of crosses over with his Water-koro idea. The water region would have just rain, and the Lightning Region would have just lightning, while I know it happens, kind of feels… segregated and sort of unnatural in a way…

Well, there are a couple things you could do:

1. you could have the bay that opens into the coral reefs and the floating water village exist at the base of the mountains and have the eternal rain and lightning go hand in hand.

2. you could put the mountains by the desert and make it heat lightning.

1 Like

The first option works for me, quite well!

1 Like

I’ve kept up with this topic for a while… Overall my ideas basically line up with everything Scorpion_Strike has written in his (separate) post.

I personally don’t care about stone going, but I really don’t want ice to leave…

I wouldn’t mind seeing where it goes, though.

Lol, sorry to fan the flames!

I have another idea for Ga-Wahi that I’ll draw up tomorrow. Basically we would keep the coral plants, but the entire region would be a huge “Tidepool”. Throughout the day, the water would rise and fall revealing and concealing a terraced landscape. As the water fell, the mesa cliffs would become waterfalls.

Also Generation 3 Art: Toa, Environments, and Colors [Larger Images] - #39 by Oomatu

2 Likes

hey @Jon i have this idea here for the villagers, what if their cultures originated from one culture wich then had three off-shoot tribes made later, as in the first culture was the Earth tribe, and then later the Fire, Water and the Air tribe was founded later on who then cut their ties to the Earth tribe.

and if Ice is going to be replaced with Lightning, then they would have been created by outcast members of the Water and Air tribe who were more focust on science and then set up their new culture high up in the mountains to harness the power of lightning.

when it comes to the sixth tribe which was once Stone but given how no one can agree on the element and the possibility that it might be cut out complity, they would not be a real tribe but more of a large number of traders who’s members originates from different tribes, who all thus travels around the island to do business.