Casablanca reference in Bionicle Legends 5?

Just noticed this. On page 124 of Bionicle Legends #5, Inferno, Tahu says to Axonn:

Where we have to go, they can’t follow. What we have to do, they cannot be part of.

Nearly verbatim from a quote by Rick to Ilsa at the end of Casablanca:

Where I’m going you can’t follow. What I’ve got to do, you can’t be any part of.

Coincidence, or an intentional reference? If so, might be worth adding to the wiki under “trivia”, like how the Biosector01 entry for Federation of Fear mentions the “Jaws” reference.

9 Likes

I can’t say for sure, since I’m not Greg, but it wouldn’t surprise me, given the other references throughout Bionicle (Jaws, Wizard Of Oz, etc.).

Also this:

4 Likes

Wasn’t there an Indiana Jones reference? When Takadox is in Makuta’s illusion, and says, “Why does the ground… move?”

4 Likes

Greg has referred to the ground moving due to a horde of enemies multiple times: Federation of fear with the bugs, Legacy of evil with Visorak.

5 Likes

I think he’s referring to a quote from Indiana Jones where the main character says something similar. Just the observation alone doesn’t make a reference, it’s the context and phrasing that does it.

4 Likes

Honestly that seals the deal.

4 Likes