Character Detailing

Man, people sure are passionate about plastic toys.

12 Likes

Big argument? Nonsense! We have a nice debate going :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Is that a bad thing? :confused:

4 Likes

Depends how much respect you have for your own dignity as a young adult, I guess. I have none.

/s

1 Like

Not in the slightest, it was a joke.

2 Likes

In HF 2.0, CCBS started out as a bland, streamlined look that was nothing like we’d ever seen before in the previous wave. It made all the heroes look like generic robots with little to no personality, thus detracting from the characters. As HF went on, more variation was introduced, but mostly just consisted of add-on pieces to the original CCBS shells and longer/shorter bone/shell lengths. It does add a bit more character, but for what they were, they just had pretty decorations and add-ons that only added flare and once again, did little to represent he actual character. Lego just wanted them to look cool.

With this new wave of Bionicle, I think Lego has learned a lot from their experimentation with HF. Even though they use the same system of bone, shell, and add-on, these characters have personality despite their “streamlined” look. NickAquaMagna has already made an in-depth and detailed video discussing what makes the Toa have personality. I think what most people have gripes about is how this new wave of Bionicle has simply “borrowed” the once bland and simple look of CCBS, and configured them into something great. They still see them as HF robots with new cool-loking add-ons to look like Bionicle, and I wont lie, I once believed in that opinion was well.

4 Likes

For me its a little hap-hazard. I like good details like armor printing and stuff, but detail is needed depending on what type of character were talking about. for a toa I would like good detail through printing, but things like the time traveling Muaka (kudos if you get the joke) dont need complicated details because theyre self explanatory. But I would love complicated detail for someone like makuta or titan sets (except for Axonn and Roodaka, they`re perfect). Over all it depends on how you look at it and your nostalgic hype.

2 Likes