Color Blocking and Elemental Color Schemes

I honestly just default to this; gold is too rare in my collection.

Strongly agree with both of these, though. A lot of the charm and interest in Bionicle comes from the creativity, so you get a lot more out of it if you treat the “rules” a bit more loosely. They’re more like guidelines, anyways. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hey, original color schemes are cool.
But if thinkink of something weird and strange I can give even a couple of set examples - Pridak, Carapar, Mata Nui, Roporak, Pohatu Fantoka.
I always find it cool if rare colours are used, such as Sand Green, Very Light Bluish Grey, Turqoise, Tan, Yellow (not Keetorange). Not that they are reallly outstanding, but I think they actually improve color palettes for elements, while keeping consistency.
Now just my weird colors ideas: yellow for lightning (Surge, actually), pink for water (coral), Transculent colors for earth (crystals/diamonds), Platinum for Iron, Light Blue for Plasma (I don’t know why).

2 Likes

Only one of those is a Toa, and he matches his Element’s “official” colour scheme.

Are you referring to the Platinum Avohkii?

That’s definitely a rare colour…

2 Likes

For some reason I used to think that the green was green and brown
And for the non-canon element of vacuum I used green and white (no idea how green and white equals ‘vacuum’ in my head :stuck_out_tongue:)

5 Likes

Prolly because Vacuum is air on its day off so checks out.

3 Likes

Black+Yellow is selling vacuum.

4 Likes

Black+Yellow is obviously Batman

2 Likes

Is that for a certain moc? :smirk:

2 Likes

I personally think it depends on what you’re going for.
I personally like the elemental genders, and have adhered to them when building plenty of the MOCs that I’ve made. Also, though, there were times when I wanted to give a character a color scheme that didn’t fit within those of the canon MU elements, but I did so anyway, and was satisfied with the way the MOCs looked.

3 Likes

for me the canon comes first. if something doesn’t fit with canon in my mocs, i fix it so that it does. got a white female toa? slap some blue on there, call it electricity.

8 Likes

Slapping blue on every single female Toa of yours can get boring really fast

7 Likes

Or, alternatively, having to make every single blue character of yours female.

6 Likes

That’s where toa of light come in.

4 Likes

That’s still kinda limiting, having to make every Toa whose colors or gender don’t conform a Toa of Light because they’re the only ones allowed to break from the mold. More interesting to just bend the rules, imo.

3 Likes

but the thing is that, if you want a canon-compliant character, the rules can’t be bent.

2 Likes

The point is to not care so much about making a canon-compliant character, for the sake of creativity, storyline, or (in my case) lack of parts.

5 Likes

Seconded what Winger said. I’ve never been the sort of person to strictly follow canon when making my own stuff; being “canon-compliant” to the letter just isn’t as much fun.

4 Likes

you two make me sad

2 Likes

Even the canon doesn’t care about the canon. There’s a male Toa of Psionics. There are no rules, only suggestions.

3 Likes

… which led to an explanation justifying the separation of Elements by gender, thereby proving that Elemental gender is not an arbitrary thing.

Again, Orde’s backstory proves without a doubt that there are rules; the Great Beings intentionally separated the Elements by gender due to “gentleness”.

I can see that quite a few people want to move away from gender-separated Elements, and I’m not going to try to stop you, but Orde’s case isn’t the best justification for it.

4 Likes