COMMUNITY POLL: Favorite (and least favorite) Gen1 Bionicle years Story-wise?

I think you summed up the opinion of every Bionicle fan on that topic. :confused:

2 Likes

I’m actually more forgiving towards 2010 than most people. Considering they had to warp up two years worth of story in one wave, I think they did a good job. They did their best to give a grand finale, even if it was very rushed and the gold armor thing was kind of… dumb.

2 Likes

My favorite year story wise was 2006, as it showed that Toa were not the only ones who could be heroes. It also showed the Piraka, the first villain group that could rival the Toa without a hoard of monsters and/or robots. And there was the Toa Inika, my favorite Toa team for numerous reasons.

Least favorite, 2007. It was underwater, the Toa and Barraki didn’t really have a team vs team fight, and the comics just stunk. While there was the greatest sacrifice comic-book wise (as Matoro did not come back to life like so many superheroes tend to do), that was just it. I just don’t like it.

Anyway, just my abnormal opinion.

They could have easily made the grand finale sets bigger and more articulated.

2 Likes

Very good point :slight_smile:

Favorites: 2003 and 2008.

2003 was an awesome climax to the original “trilogy”–we got our first non-mindless villains, the Bohrok-Kal, the Vahi was finally used (even if it didn’t really matter in the end), we got to finally see Makuta, Takua became Takanuva, we a got a movie and books, and the summer sets were great. And it finished off with the mind-blowing twist that there were more Toa out there!

2008 brought the Toa Nuva back after a too-long absence, and was the culmination of basically everything that had come before. Plus, I think it was the best year for the serials–they were interesting and fairly extensive, but you could follow the main story just fine without them, and there weren’t any bizarre shenanigans of the sort we got later on.

Least favorite: 2010, for being rushed, 2009, for revolving around a movie that turned out to be really lame, and 2005, for revolving around a movie that turned out to be “meh.” 2005 had pretty good novels, though, so it gets a pass.

2 Likes

Story-wise:
2008:Favorite; A very busy, plot-driven year with the best work of Farshtey, with main focus on the OoMN
2006:Least Favorite; Boringly dark, and could be replaced with any other year.
The characters were bland, excluding OoMN members
Set-wise:
2004:Favorite; The Metrubuild. Need I say more?
2010:Least Favorite; Another Matoran marching band ( Oh, I’m sorry. I meant Agori.), and a bunch of wannabes.

2 Likes

Oooh, tough. I’d have to say probably 2001, 3 or 4 was my favorite. And leaving out the obvious 2010… I honestly didn’t like 2006 or 7 very much. It’s odd, I just didn’t like the new heroes as much for some reason, (Except Matoro) even though I was totally fine with getting new Toa in '04. I guess it just seemed less lighthearted, even than 2005. I guess I appreciate serious/dark stories, but it was less fun somehow. The battle-talk seemed less cheeky and more just annoying. (You know what I’m talking about. Insults while fighting) Zaktan was good, the Brutaka/Axonn thing was good, but the main hero/villain conflict didn’t interest me as much even though the stakes were higher.

1 Like

I personally feel that 2006 completely undermined that very message by making the Matoran into Toa. Also I hated the Piraka, and the Inika looked butt-ugly until they became the Mahri.
But, opinions, I guess.

1 Like

I don’t think I can agree with that. For one thing, the Voya Nui resistance members were certainly heroic, even when they didn’t have any Toa to back them up. For another, while Jaller and company didn’t necessarily do anything heroic on their journey to Voya Nui, they were certainly very brave. Plus, considering how powerful the Piraka were, it wouldn’t be realistic for them to be defeated by Matoran. The way I see it, Jaller and crew showed that they were brave and resourceful enough to be Toa when they were Matoran, and thus were “rewarded” with the powers of Toa. “With great power comes great responsibility”–they showed that, with what little power they had, they were ready for the responsibility of greater power.

3 Likes

I respect your opinion, even if I do not agree with it.

2 Likes

You raise a good point.

[quote=“Frost35, post:31, topic:5938, full:true”]
I respect your opinion, even if I do not agree with it.
[/quote] Ditto. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Closed for being similar to other, more active, topics such as this.

2 Likes