Could Greg write a new book by claiming it is a fanfic?

No. He’s said many times he can’t such as the interview with Eljay. He would go back to writing if he could, he’s said it many times- but due to legality reasons he cannot. He does not have a place to put the serials either because LEGO has not given him a medium to do so.

This is the answer.

4 Likes

Maybe if he changed all the characters’ names, Lego won’t notice! The adventures of Team Nova, starring Tommy, Gabriela, Lewis (pronounced LAY-wis), Onassis, Peter, Kody, and the Chosen One, Thaddeus Nova! Together, they are Six Warriors with One Goal, to defeat the evil Master Terrence and awaken God from his coma.

This sounds like a really bad anime localization.

4 Likes

Which is something I never understood. He had no problems publishing The Many Deaths of Toa Tuyet on BZPower, I don’t see why he wouldn’t be able to do so here (or some other Lego-approved site).

1 Like

So I did a little research, and I found this interview from December 2020 on the BIONIFIGS website. Greg comments on Bionicle getting new publications like an omnibus or complete story edition. Link: BIONIFIGS Interview with Greg Farshtey, author of the BIONICLE novels

“There are no active BIONICLE publishing licenses because the line is inactive. Without the marketing support that comes from having sets on the shelves, there’s no real reason for a publisher to be interested in doing anything with this. If BIONICLE ever did come back, it would not be in such a way that we would expect fans to know the story from over 10- years ago. (You could easily launch the story on Bara Magna and not even get into all that went before.) But realistically, things like this only happen when there is a movie or a TV series or something like that. Even Harry Potter only got a renewed marketing push when the Fantastic Beasts film came out. Were it up to me, I would like to see a known science fiction writer (so not me) tackle BIONICLE in a series aimed at adults.”

I’m not saying this is the definitive Greg answer. It is very likely (if not proven) that he is constrained by his work with LEGO and cannot legally disclose all story details. I may be reading into it somewhat, but it sounds like Greg does not have a currently active interest in continuing the story. This could change, as there is nearly a decade’s worth of correspondence with him and his opinion in 2011 or even December 2020 may have changed. Despite this, I really think that the lack of continued Greg serials is not solely because LEGO is stopping him or because he has no platform to publish these.

It is possible that we may one day receive the G1 story bible, but I wouldn’t hang your hopes on it. As far as we know, the story is dead and TTV is really the main driving force keeping it alive. That’s not saying that can never change one day. But at this point, we’ve been holding out for Greg to come back to a decade-old story and give the dwindling fanbase a long-overdue conclusion. At this point, I think I’m pro-realism. I really think that the best course of action is for someone to take their own stab at finishing the story and having TTV canonize it with Greg’s approval. Would I prefer Greg to finish the story? I don’t know, probably. But I don’t want to say that it would be impossible for someone else with talent to wrap it up in a satisfying way either.

3 Likes

I have read this quote and a couple of others, but it is either me, or he only says about actual publishing, not making it a fanfic-like?
That said, I mostly agree and think it is unlikely that we will see the actual end for the story.

2 Likes

He only speaks of official routes. not unofficial like ttv cforums or bzpower website

1 Like

I mean, he could now.

7 Likes