Cusp of a New Era: Stories of a Changing Time(RP Topic)

After grabbing his coat, Sean heads out the door and up a nearby set of stairs, stopping to make sure Louisa was following him.

Louisa follows him, keeping her head down. Her eyes dart here and there, waiting for something to leap from the shadows.

Sean leads her until they get to the center of the city, about two levels up. “Welcome to the Central Garden.” He says. “You go ahead and try to find what you’re looking for.”

1 Like

“R-right.” She slowly moves into the market space, glancing at booths to see if any of them had some garlic for sale. Hopefully it would be one close to the entrance, she didn’t like being out in the open like this…

She might see a fresh produce stand on the the other side of the roof that made up the Garden.

Checking both ways for Nikidian soldiers first, she darts over to the stand. She hangs back a bit in the crowd, scanning over it for any garlic.

She would see none, but she would startle the stand owner. “Um…hello?” She says.

She seemed to sell fruits and vegetables, among which was some garlic.

Moenir opens the door for Sarah.

Inside is a wide office with a large wooden desk with piles of paperwork. Behind that paperwork is a bear… not a literal bear, but the Bear. Taeland Berl stands and smiles, “Welcome… you’ve just made it in time.”

He gestures to his left at a couch and a small coffee table, on the couch sits a elegant red-haired lady. The Lion, Jana Amethyst smiles at Sarah and Moenir. On a chair near the couch, sits a small dark haired man, the Snake, Nevis Garnet. He wickedly smiles and gestures for them to sit down.

Taeland sits in a separate chair at the table and pours out tea, “You’ve barely been here for two days and already you’ve put our lands in quite a situation… I wonder what you want… I hope it’s worth our time. For your sakes.”

Sarah takes a deep, shaky breath, and tries to gain her composure. “I have ta thank ye ever so much fer takin’ the time t’listen t’us. T’put it simply, I’m from Kenasa, and we’ve been fightin’ for our independence from Nikidia and Marsada. Fer too long have we lived under their iron boots as they kick us ‘tween each other, destroying our city and those of our old country an’ destroyin’ our culture and language in the process. We simply ask fer yer help in guarenteein’ that future fer ourselves, be it with direct aid, or helpin us gain other allies in th’fight. Now, I know what yer gonna ask, about why you should help, and while it’s true we may not have too much now, what we will have is our city, an’ its port. More importantly, insteada closin’ it every time we get taken over, it will stay open as a good port to trade inta th’mainland, t’which you’ll have first access.” She takes a deep breath, waiting for some response.

The Snake speaks up, “A port? You’re offering a port for aid of your rebellion? We could easily sell you out and gain access to the same port from your enemies… which let’s be honest have more military power compared to what you have… I’m not about to throw away my riches to a lost cause.”

The Lion speaks, “You’re proposing that we provide aid, in promise of future trade? Unless you can guarantee that future, I’m afraid I would agree with Nevis…” she shivers, “Which is something I’d rather not do.”

Taeland looks at the other two, “I am willing… willing to help you.” Nevis’ eyes widen in shock as he looks at the Bear. Taeland continues, “I for one am done with dealing the Nikidians and their trading methods… treating out merchants like dirt, doing what they please on our soil. Make no mistake, if the Nikidians were more respectful I would have had my soldiers at your door last nightfall.”

Taeland eyes Moenir, “You know you’ve put us quite in a peculiar situation. On one hand we could hand you over and betray one of my own people for an empire… which let’s be honest that’s giving them more reason to trample over us in trade. If we stand our ground, we lose our trades with that empire for one measly port. I’m afraid you, the son of a pirate, have put your home in a lose lose situation. Jana do you not agree?”

Jana looks at Taeland, “You’re saying that if we let the Nikidians win they will only act more cruel in their trades and be more forceful… Are you saying that a war is inevitable?”

Nevis waves his hands worriedly, “Don’t overthink this! We can negotiate terms with them to ensure that they cannot be as forceful… Trade is still booming, there are richest yet to be had!”

It seems Sarah had the Bear at her side, but the Snake is against her, and the Lion will not be as easy to tame. Moenir stares at Taeland, for a moment before speaking, “You know my father?!”

Taeland smiles, “Yes… I am quite familiar with Blud Beard. If someone of such importance visits my city, I know. Blud Beard has a bit of a reputation in the seas, so I am very aware of his presence in my city and his relations.”

Nevis scoffs mockingly, “How am I supposed to trust a name, who lets pirates into their city.?”

Taeland stares the Snake down angrily, “How can I trust a name who would use his own people as merchandise? Do you want to explain that to me?”

Nevis leans back in his chair, “Indentured servitude is not slavery… Bear. Know the difference.”

“A port and an ally.” Sarah elaborates. “Think about it, Nikidia and Marsada are both land hungry and tyrannical. Once they subjugate Kenasa, and eventually one the other, who do you think is next? ‘Cuz I think we all know they aren’t gonna stop at that point. An’ two islands right off th’coast seem like prime candidates.”

“You make an interesting point…” Jana says, “You’re brave to say the least. I know that Gathens has always been in a bad position with empires rising. Most didn’t bother us, for the booming trade… however if they should pressure us, it would be a mistake. We have those who would support us…Trade is very powerful.”

Nevis nods, “It would be a mistake for them-”

Jana interrupts, “However, should they grow more powerful they could overwhelm those allies. It seems that this port… it will have to do.”

Nevis breaks out, “WHAT DO YOU MEAN!? ONE PORT OVER A NATION OF PORTS, ARE YOU FORSAKING THAT WEALTH!”

Taeland stands, “Yes… Snake… We are forsaking wealth for our future, You only see the coin… That is your biggest flaw.”

The Snake curls his lips and grabs one of the cups, hurling it at Taeland. The ceramic teacup shatters as it collides with the Bear’s shoulder, Taeland indifferent to the Snake’s action.

Taeland looks at Jana, “I believe we have come to a conclusion.”

The Lion nods, “Indeed we have. We will support your revolution and fund it.”

Taeland smiles, “You can expect safe passage from my city, I’ll deal with the Nikidians that were on your trail.”

Moenir lets out a sigh of relief and nearly falls backwards from the stress. Taeland glances at him, “Moenir… I believe we have something to talk about… primarily your punishment for bringing our country to war… and…”

Nevis growls and walks away, eyeing Sarah and Moenir, “You’ve made a ginormous mistake, kenasian. All of you have… Not a coin from my wealth will fund your little insurgency.”

Sarah breathes a shaky sigh of relief, then looks at Nevis. “An’ I can’t say I blame ya, but we’ll prevail all th’same. I only hope we change yer mind when’r victories start flowin’ in.”

1 Like

Jana looks at Sarah, “I believe we’ll need to discuss the logistics of this alliance, I can only speak for my city and my wealth, so it is likely my side of the deal might be the tiniest bit different.”

Taeland strides over to Moenir and places his hand on his shoulder, “Let’s go for a walk, get some fresh air.”

Moenir nods and leaves the room with Taeland.

Jana continues, “I am from Marketshire, the largest city in Gathens… I can supply you arms and coin once on a bi-monthly measure… does this suit your needs?”

Taeland grips Moenir’s shoulder as they walk, “I knew your father… a bit better than what I let on… Blud came to me for help once. it was well before his fame in piracy. He asked me to hide his identity. Your father wanted to hide from his brother.”

Moenir looks at Taeland, his eyes looking at the Bear’s. “My uncle?”

Taeland softly smiles, “Yes. Your uncle is a soldier of the Marsadian Navy… Your father… Richard, fled his life as a Marsadian and came here.”

Moenir eyes widen, “My dad’s name is Richard?!” He says almost yelling before he stops himself.

Sarah nods. “Yeah, that’ll work great. Thank ye so much fer this.” She responds.

Jana looks at Sarah a bit surprised. “You’ve hardly bartered have you? Some advice for the future, counter-offer when someone makes an offer. People will usually make an offer that suits them more than it suits you. My offer only guarantees weapons and coins once every two months, is that really what you need or is there a counter-offer you could make? Suggest an offer that would suit you better, that will cost you less. Our negotiation could be made better for both sides, I don’t even know where I’m sending these coin and arms to yet.”

Sarah contemplates for a moment. “…Monthly’d probably work better if ye can. It’s a war against two nations at th’worst of times, and we’re gonna need a decent bit of help. Th’best place to sent it would be to the Kenasan port. If it goes well, we’ll be in control of th’city by time th’first ■■■■■■■■ comes.” She thinks for a moment. “…But how much coin are we talking per ■■■■■■■■? I need t’know what I’m workin’ with fer what I have to offer t’others, especially to ma troops I need t’raise.”

Jana smiles, “I’m afraid I can’t do monthly… perhaps every 45 days? and for coin… I’ll take two gold kenasian coins per firearm.”
I wonder… what will she do?

Taeland walks with Moenir, “That is correct. He came here distraught… his clothes tattered… He was afraid.”

“The timin’ll work well, but…correct me if’n I’m wrong, I mighta misheard ya, but just earlier you said y’were providin’ guns and coin, right? And right now, it sounds like yer sayin’ it was guns fer coin. And as a right now, we don’t have that. We’ll rack up a debt, yeah, but we can pay you back said debt after we win, or at least get a good foothold. What I had been askin was how much you were plannin’ on givin each ■■■■■■■■, so we can budget where we need t’put it.” Sarah says, raising an eyebrow, slightly confused.

Jana smiles, “I was hoping you would catch that, what I meant is that with every firearm I supply I would give you coin… in the future you’ll likely run into those that will give you a difficult time and will try to trick you with words.”

Jana walks over and grabs a sheet of paper, she begins writing on the paper. As of the expressed agreement of the proxies of the Free People of Kenasa and the City of Marketshire. I, Jana Amethyst, the Name of Marketshire, agrees to supply the Free People of Kenasa arms and coin. For every firearm gifted, two gold kenasian coin shall be given.

She looks at Sarah, “Sounds like a bargain…”