Custom painted mask

hi! I tried paint a mask, and I wonder what people think about it. I painted it dark red, and then tried to make it infected or something, but I’m not sure what to make of it. Any feedback will be appreciated! :smile:

More photos at my Flickr

14 Likes

Normally I am not a big fan of custom painting masks, but this looks pretty good!

3 Likes

I think it’s cool when people custom paint masks (as long as it does not come out looking like an abismal), this one is really good, it looks like the hau got scarred here

2 Likes

It looks good but a little too clean for an infected mask. There’s just too much of a obvios border between the colours. Maybe that’s just me…

2 Likes

it’s alright, maybe with some dry brushing it could look better.

2 Likes

@ToaPyren - Thanks!

@Middlefingerstudios - the mask was kind of scarred before I started painting it, that’s why I chosed it as a kind of ‘test mask’

@Studentscissors - I do agree, but I’m not an experienced painter, so didn’t really get what I hoped for

@Payinku - maybe I could try that, thanks for the advice (:

1 Like

I think some more black over the whole thing or around the edges of the spots might make the spots less clean looking (like scissors mentioned).

3 Likes

that sounds like a good Idea, I could probably try that out!

Tahu just got hit with a grenade.

1 Like

maybe take a hobby knife and start making nicks in it and around the edges to show a bit of damage. Would help add to the feel of it.

1 Like

the same effect could be made with dry brushing.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll see what I can do, but I don’t have a lot of stuff to work with

EDIT: I have a white pakari I want to paint next, any ideas?

Give it Turquoise stripes/arrow battle markings. Why? Because turquoise is THE BEST COLOUR EVAH!!!

1 Like

paint the indented parts of the mask in red. if you can, outline the holes of the mask in black.

1 Like

Looks like somewhere in between normal and fully infected. Nice work!

1 Like

Thanks again everyone! I’l see what I can do :slight_smile:

Drybrushing wouldn’t create the same effect as actually going in with a knife and actually damaging the mask. One is real, physical, the other is just an optical trick.

1 Like