Daikaiju Franchise Topic

I noticed that the movie section of the message boards were completely devoid of giant monsters, so I decided to change that. So this is basically what the title of the discussion says, and if you don’t know what daikaiju means, it literally translates into “great beast.” The likes of this are Godzilla, Gamera, Mothra, King Kong, and many more. And as for the purpose of this thread, it’s the same as any other involving a film franchise. Talk about it, love it, hate it, eat some potatoes with Omega Tahu, it doesn’t matter as long as you guys enjoy it.

Sayonara!!! :slight_smile: /

Does Pacific Rim count as daikaiju?
And on that note, does Neon Genesis Evangelion count as well?

1 Like

Technically, any giant monster counts, so yes, Pacific Rim is considered a kaiju movie. An awesome one at that, too. Neon Genesis Evangelion, I really don’t know about this one. It’s giant robots. But seeing as how there’s Mechagodzilla I, II, and III, as well as Mecha-King Ghidorah, Moguera, and many other robots, I guess it could count.

Pacific Rim is about all I’ve seen in this genre. Doesn’t mean I don’t like it though. Pacific Rim was freakin epic.

Yes! Oh yes! I’ve been waiting for one of these for quite a while.
On a slightly unrelated note, you should probably take the “Official” out of the title, as that right is reserved, to my knowledge, only for TTV cast members and/or Mods.

1 Like

Titile changed to: Daikaiju Franchise Topic
-Nyran

While I’ve seen far fewer Kaiju films than I’d like to admit, they are for the most part Tokusatsu, and I’m a big advocate of Toku.

One day I hope to see Godzilla and crew in Super Sentai or Kamen Rider. Because if there’s anything that those have, it’s Robot vs. Monster. We need more honest to god Monster vs Monster.

Just in general.

1 Like

For Godzilla movies I recommend either Godzilla (2014) or Gojira (1954).
The newer one was my first Godzilla movie, and it does a good job of introducing the franchise.
The older/first one, needs a preface of sorts.
Godzilla: King of the Monsters! is the Americanized version of the original Gojira, and is good if all you want is your average creature-feature. If you’re looking for a more substantial plot, charged with the high-tension politics of the time, Gojira is what you should see. It is (IMO) a much better film than Godzilla: King of the Monsters!, and ranks as my personal favorite Godzilla film by an extremely large margin.

1 Like

I wouldn’t really say Evangelion was about giant robots. The EVA Units were partially organic and partially robotic. And the Angels were completely giant monsters.

WARNING: Topic Revival in progress, you have been warned.

Now that that’s out of the way, here’s some topical stuff.
I recommend that you check this out (but read the rest of this post first).
It will provide some evidence for my seemingly outlandish claim.

Toho is making a new Godzilla film, and it will be released in 2016.
You read that right.

Not to mention the (now old news) leaked images of the new design. It’s fan-freakin’-tastic.
http://i.imgur.com/bvyzhQW.jpg
Other links for different pictures: http://i.imgur.com/g4tPeND.png http://i.imgur.com/0ha4xaj.jpg

1 Like