DC Universe: The New Age of Heroes (RP Topic)

The tendril on the ground suddenly whipped upwards, moving the speartip away from its target and allowing it to imbed into the floor. Geosh wouldn’t have much time to react, as with his grip freed Switchblade would bring the entirety of his mass up and collapsing towards him.

In the little time Geosh had to react he slammed his back into switchblade with all the force Geosh could generate. A few of the shards would be able to get into some gaps causing painful, but relatively minor injuries. Geosh was banking on the sudden force to move switchblade near the wire,
but even without that he would at least be between switchblade and the case.

Disappointment was at the end of his journey.

Switchblade offered no pushback whatsoever, letting Geosh dive through the massive wave of shards like it was made of paper, and directly into the hanging wire. Even if Geosh succeeded in dragging Switchblade into the wire with him, suits of armor were highly conductive.

“Wait it isn’t? Why blame us then? This sucks… Lazy people really get nothing done.”

Adelaide paused, an idea brewing. “Hey, is there a chance we could talk to them privately? If they really want to get stuff done, we-” Coughing over the word, she carried on. “I could handle it.”

2 Likes

OOC: I was thinking of the wire as 15ish feet away, so the shove, even with the virtually nonexistent resistance, wouldn’t be generating enough force to carry Geosh or switchblade that far. By your post it seems you were thinking it was closer, that probably is my fault for not describing it’s placement well, but I thought I’d clear that up.

IC: Geosh felt virtually no resistance as he “banged” into switchblade. “That was a lot softer than I was hoping.” Geosh thought, “Crap! I’m not between the bladey-thing and the case anymore.”

OOC:

Then how the heck do you expect average-strength Geosh lumbering around in a suit of armour to push an eight foot pile of metal scraps fifteen feet in a single shove

Really if the wire is conveniently fifteen feet away as soon as Geosh is in risk of hitting it, you should be keeping its location in mind with all character actions, not just the inconvenient ones

IC:

No, he wasn’t, in fact.

With Geosh out of the way, Switchblade collapsed his mass in a tidal wave of metal onto the box, already beginning to magnetize it into his form. It snapped shut again inside his body and he turned a malicious grin upon Geosh, who was now stuck between Switchblade and the dangerous wire.

“Game over.” He hissed. “Or do you really think you can fish my prize away from me now?”

Lauren shoots her a glare. “Sure, you could probably talk to them in private. Could you accomplish something? Eh.” She shrugs.

1 Like

Geosh was pretty sure switchblade wasn’t going to run with the case; he was pretty certain switchblade was gonna try and kill him first. If switchblade did come after Geosh, he would try to lead him to the cord, if not, then oh well. Geosh had no real investment in the case other than being curious.

Switchblade towered over Geosh for a moment or two, the malicious grin still plastered across his face. It slowly turned into a scowl when he realized Geosh wasn’t doing anything.

Something swirled around in his mass, and out from his form flew the case. Open, empty, and considerably scuffed. The constant moving of metal slowed considerably.

“Do you know who Daybreak is?” Switchblade hissed, something moving up inside his form. “There is every reason to believe he is the Son of Superman. Powers, strength, general age, it all fits. And this,” The object in his form slithered across metal shards to his hand, revealing itself to be the foam; even with the incredible amount of caution displayed, it was deeply lined with cuts. “Is the reason I concocted an elaborate and now unnecessary scheme to track the Luthor campaign bus.”

Bringing it to his chest, Switchblade carefully and surgically removed a hole from the foam. Turning it around, Geosh could see the reflection of glass coupled with an incredibly thin splinter of glowing green crystal.

Kryptonite.

Switchblade moved swiftly, shoving the foam package into his mouth before lunging towards the window. He had to move fast lest Geosh manage to get in front of him, and attempt to prevent him from escaping… If he could withstand that much moving metal at once.

On the street outside, it was entirely deserted save one older pedestrian reading the Daily Planet who seemed to be oblivious to the commotion.

Geosh had never heard of daybreak, and now that he knew about the contents of the case, at least mostly, Geosh was content to let it go. After all, kryptonite was relatively harmless to humans. So Geosh just watched switchblade leave.

Piling out the window, Switchblade aimed for the open manhole he had exited and in one dive cleared the entrance, his massive form slimming out into a long curve.

Geosh might have noticed the one civilian immediately turn around and walk in the general direction of a subway entrance.

The way the civilian’s actions were so sudden seemed a bit odd to Geosh.
“Not like I’ve got anything I need to do right now…” he thought “I guess I’ll follow him and see what’s up.”

Mark led the way through the corridor, and kept at Iosif’s pace, but let him walk on his own as he clearly wished to. Opening a door into another corridor, Mark soon brought the boy to some kind of dining hall, which was currently pretty much empty. “Just wait here a second, I’ll be right back with that water.” He reassured, before turning and heading through another set of doors that assumedly led to the kitchen, if the sounds and smells reaching Iosif from even here were anything to go by.

As the leader’s movements were relatively slow, Gideon is successfully able to duck under him, leaving him to grope at open air with a growl of frustration, trying to reach down and make another attempt at grabbing the slippery metahuman.

None of the faces gathered with him seemed to ring any bells, though some stood out more than others. Inamongst their number was a pair of identical twins, a girl with long red hair almost as out of control as a real fire, and a disconcertingly insectoid-looking man. After a few moments of uncomfortable silence, a speaker crackled into life from somewhere overhead, “I imagine you’re all wondering why you’ve been brought here, and the reason is simple: I needed a group of lowlifes that nobody was going to miss.

Mosh Pit’s eyes narrowed with rage, “Oh yeah? And who the hell are you supposed to be?” He snarled.

With that, a holographic screen flickered into life, bearing the image of a wiry middle-aged man with with a beak-like nose and eyes hidden behind the glare of rounded spectacles, “My name is none of your concern, but you may call me the Black King. And your king has a quest for you.

2 Likes

“You have a very high opinion of yourself, ‘king’,” Khan says, staring directly into the screen (or a camera, if one is visible). “I must be honest, I care not for ‘quests’ handed down by those arrogant enough to call themselves ‘kings’. However, if you are offering a path from this cage, then I cannot ignore it.”

1 Like

OOC:

So I was originally aiming to punch him but uh, it looks like I forgot to state my intent
Whoops

IC:

Gideon responded by leaping up and aiming his knee directly towards the ruffian’s nose. It would tick him off, sure, probably make him call for backup.

But what’s important right now is stopping him from turning me into a tent stake. And yelling at myself later.

While the smells were good, Iosif’s appetite wasn’t improved by throwing up just a minute ago. He leaned his arm against a table, hoping it didn’t retract or break from under the minimal pressure.

Of course the water could always be poisoned. He looked about for any outlets without making an obvious effort.

Geosh’s attempts to follow him were mostly unfruitful. Upon descending the subway stairs, the mysterious figure was absolutely nowhere in sight. However, if he listened closely, he might hear…

…Luthor. He was right, there’s two…

…Tomorrow. The hall-

There was a sudden scuffling sound and two clicks of shoes against concrete. Then, silence.

Geosh couldn’t find the guy, and as he turned around to leave he heard faint voices. “Luthor… why does he seem to be mixed up in everything today?” Geosh wondered as he went the direction that he thought the voices had come from.

A cold, sharp laugh bursts from the speakers, before the ‘King’ regains control of his face, “Bold words for a pawn I could kill where he stands. But what’s a little banter among colleagues?

The screen suddenly changes, the man’s face replaced with a distinctive and, to many of the inmates, recognisable, insignia:

Intergang.” The King remarked, for anyone who happened to be living under a rock, “A dangerous, but necessary cog in the criminal machine, notable for using all manner of alien technology, particularly Apokoliptian. I don’t normally involve myself with such matters, but recently they stepped over the line, and intercepted a military convoy carrying incredibly precious cargo: a Mother Box.

The screen changed again, to display the device:

This technology comes from the New Gods, and so despite fitting into the palm of your hand, it possesses unimaginable power. We’re not yet sure who it belonged to, but the important thing is that it’s here, and as long as it remains it will be a threat to national security. If this device came into the wrong hands, all manner of chaos could be sown. Your mission is to infiltrate Intergang’s headquarters here in Metropolis, retrieve the Mother Box, and bring it back to me. In the event that this isn’t possible, you must do everything you can to destroy it. However, keep in mind that so far all our attempts to do the same have been fruitless.

“So let me get this straight,” One of the other inmates piped up, “You want us to stroll in under Bruno Manheim’s nose, grab an alien superweapon, and then come give it to you?”

You will be compensated for your efforts, of course. Provided you’re successful, I’ll be sure to get your sentences shortened, and get you on parole earlier still.

As his knee connected, Gideon would hear a sickening crack, the criminal swearing loudly as he stumbled backwards, clutching his nose. He glared in the direction of his hapless subordinates, “Don’d jusd sdand dhere, helb me!” He snapped, as blood began to seep out from between his palms. They stayed exactly where they were. The leader growled in frustration, “Fine, jusd ged in dhe druck, shobkeeb brobably already called dhe cobs!” He decided, lumbering towards it himself, before his two minions scramble to do the same.

A few moments later, Mark returned with the water, handing it to him with a smile, “There you go kiddo. Need anything else?”

1 Like

Gideon dusted off his shirt with a scowl at the gang as they departed. There was no reason to chase them; the minimal stuff they would get away with was not worth grabbing onto their truck and attempting to puncture a tire.

Instead, he decided to stand there and scowl at them until they left. Unless they try to run me over. Then I’m kicking their windshield in.

No outlets. Rats.

Iosif shook his head slowly as he looked at the water for what felt like half an hour and was only about thirty seconds. He very cautiously drank a small amount of it and was instantly reminded of the taste of stomach acid.

Rubbing his mouth to hide his lip curling up in repulsion, he downed the rest of the glass in one gulp, which didn’t seem to be the most effective at cleansing one’s mouth… Or drinking water. Trying not to cough, he looked suspiciously out of the top of his eyes at the smiling Mark.

So if this is spiked, I should have about an hour. Hopefully I’ll receive some warnings before then.

It was the men’s restroom. The door was swinging as he walked up to it. No sound from the inside; very likely whoever was speaking had quietly ducked out when they realized Geosh was there.

No sign of anyone around, and the next subway train wasn’t scheduled until an hour from now. Nothing could have pointed more clearly to a complicated web of intrigue, and yet with so little strings to follow.

1 Like

They seemed to have gotten the idea by now, as their truck screeched away from him as fast as possible. Inside, the shop staff started to nervously inch their way towards the door, a few of them going to reclaim their near-pilfered goods. Meanwhile, a rather out of shape old man who seemed to be the owner ran his way over to Gideon, clasping his golden hand in both of his and shaking it vigorously, “Thank you sir, thank you so much - if it weren’t for you, those thugs woulda cleaned out my whole store! I-is there anything I can do to repay you? I can’t offer much, but I’m sure we could work something out…” He panted, slightly out of breath from even that light sprint.

Mark stood in slightly awkward silence as he waited for the kid to drink it, before lightly prodding him with “Go on now, it won’t bite.”

“Hey, careful now,” Mark warned as Iosif went at it a lot more enthusiastically than expected, “We don’t want you to choke. There, is that a little better?”

2 Likes

“Where’d they go? Do I really have to play hide and seek?” Geosh thought as he started to look around outside the restroom. “Maybe I should put up my armor… just in case.”