Determining Okotion Culture

This topic may be considered redundant, and if the mods feel so, then so be it. I just think this would make a good topic on it’s own as this has been a… controversial subject.
So far, what can we tell about the culture of the peoples of Okoto based on the content we have already gotten? (AND PLEASE: I have not read the book spoiler yet, so any other incites you guys have, please post them below :slight_smile: )

From what I have seen on Lego.com and heard on the podcast as well as here on the message boards, I’m going to attempt to give some summary of their culture. I do not claim all of this analysis to be my own, a lot of it has already been stated in numerous places. I’m just gathering all of it in one place.Some of this is strictly theoretical, so do not take as cannon till it is confirmed by Lego.

KEEP THIS IS MIND: a good storyteller shows, not tells. So details, no matter how trivial seeming, are important. While assumption is not always right, inference is still a valuable tool when dissecting fiction.

Let’s start with the destruction of a jungle village and the mentioning of an outpost, as it was a major source of controversy. We can assume the following:

1. The protector race is militarized to some degree, most likely in response to the skull spiders.
  2. Destruction of villages is not unheard of, as the P. of Jungle is not devastated from this (If I understood what was said in the podcast correctly.)
  3. The tribes are organized enough to form outposts.
  4. Outposts are used for multiple things, mainly keeping an eye on the enemy or acting as a barrier between the enemy and civilians. Either way, an effective communication system is needed for this. Now, it might not be instant, and most likely it is not, but it can be inferred that they have some sort of technique for communication. Most likely a runner system.

Now something more broad; the individual tribes themselves. In my research I have come across some interesting finds.

1 The water tribe: http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/okoto/region-of-water
If you click on the village tab, you get an incite on the beliefs of the Water Tribe: “The islanders of the water tribe worship the Great Ocean. They always build their villages where there is water.” This tells us a few things:
A)The Okotions, or at least the WT, are into spirit worship. Often in island cultures and in situations of nature worship, they are often worshiping the spirit of the thing.
B) They honor the ocean by always being near water.

2 Earth Tribe: http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/okoto/region-of-earth
As it was with the Onu-Matoran, the Okotions of Earth are cave dwellers. The difference though is the landscape itself. It is described as nightmarish, glasslike. This sounds like they live in an obsidian cave. And the village is in some sort of crystal-cavern. Treacherous ravines and pits cover the landscape as well. From this we gather that they are accustomed to danger, even without skull spiders. So this is probably a hardy and adaptable group of Okotions.

3 Fire Tribe: http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/okoto/region-of-fire
The villages are located on the slopes of the volcanoes (plural). So, multiple villages, dangerous region. Pretty much the same thing as with the Earth Tribe, hardy and adaptable people.

4 Ice tribe: http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/okoto/region-of-ice
Described as stalwart, ( which, according to Merriam-Webster means very loyal and dedicated OR physically strong). Both definitions make sense here. If you lived in the area these guys lived, being dedicated, loyal to the tribe, and being strong is important.

5 Jungle tribe: http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/okoto/region-of-jungle
“Okoto’s jungles are dangerous places full of gigantic trees and savage wildlife. The jungles hold the most ancient of the Protector Ruins, now overgrown and forgotten.” Two things can be found here: It is a dangerous place, so in order to survive, you’re going to have to be a tough group. Second, the Okotions probably started here. As it holds the oldest protector ruins, this must be where the cradle civilization. The jungle tribe itself MIGHT have some extra insight on things as they MIGHT have access to them. This could be linked with the P. of Jungle having foot-vines-of-fore-sight. Also, their villages are described as hidden, so these might be a group of secretive people.

6 Stone Tribe http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/okoto/region-of-stone
They are described as tough. They would have to be as they live in a desert. Not much else to say.

Now for the City of the Mask Makers:http: http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/okoto/city-of-the-mask-makers
It is located in the region of water, so this tribe might have the most influence over the city.
It was once the Okotion Capital. Two things are inferred from that: The tribes were once united, as they needed a capital. Also Mask Makers were important.
Many battles were fought here, insinuating that the Okotions have had fights possibly before the skull spider threats, which might explain the Skull Warrior Species.
The forge is the place of power. So Ekimu and Makuta might have been dual leaders.
They have a graveyard, which means Okotions can die. And it was a common enough occurrence that it warranted a graveyard. Either there were a lot of casualties in some forgotten war or the Okotions die of old age, unlike the G1 matoran. This makes sense with the whole “passing down from father to son” bit.
Gladiatorial matches were held in the arena, gathered by the Skull Slicer bio in I think one of the advertisements that got leaked, as well as a sport called Hammer Flush. (G2 version of Kohli?) So the Okotions enjoyed a good fight/competition.

Now, it seems the Protector is equivalent to Turaga, though their position might be hereditary, as their Elemental masks are passed down through the Generations. Also, they seem to retain some of the Ancient Tech, as they have blasters of some sort, so they were once technologically advance.

SO ALL IN ALL: The Okotions can all be described as a tough group of people. The island, while it might be pretty, does not seem safe in the slightest since the Makuta incident. They are militarized to fight off the Skull spider threat. They possibly are Spirit Worshipers, much like G1 started out as. They are tribal (duh, but there’s more to it than that.) They have a chief (AKA protector).

AGAIN, PLEASE HELP ME OUT BY POSTING BELOW ANYTHING I MISSED, MISTAKES I MADE, ETC. I just want to gather as much info on the Okotions as possible in one area. I think the culture of the Okotions may have been given to us, we just have to look harder than skin deep.

Thanks again!

4 Likes

This is a really good compilation to keep to prove Meso wrong and I can see this becoming a handy source as the years go on. Good job!

It was never stated that just because the region had an important landmark it gives that tribe authority over the over tribes.

1 Like

Fair point, it was more of an observation, however. And by influence, I mean more economically and socially, as the city is closest to them, so chance are the city itself might lean towards the water tribe culturally and for immediate trade. I don’t mean the water tribe has power over the other tribes, but thanks for pointing that out, as I can see that I didn’t clarify that. :smile:

1 Like

Also, some other little snippets of culture;

The Fire Blaster is good for discouraging skull spiders… and lighting campfires.

The Fire villagers make campfires. What are campfires associated with? Telling stories and legends. Thus, the villagers must have multiple legends and stories regarding their beliefs and history (not just the prophecy of heroes). This can also be proved by the coming activity book which mentions legends.

The Ice Saw is useful for both fighting and cutting out ice blocks to use for building.

The Ice tribe build stuff out of ice blocks…yeah

1 Like

Possible spelling errors aside (I’m fairly certain it’s “Okotoan” or “Okotian” and not “Okotion”), this was a nice read.

It remains to be seen whether these aspects of culture are embedded in the story or just an afterthought.

2 Likes

ROUND 2!

Burial Techniques?
http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/videos/ekimu-the-mask-maker-ac8afc81c3534ac4a34f95ab16b8a25b
So, in the orignal legends video, we see the Protectors put Ekimu in a Sarcophagus. And in Ekimu’s bio, it mentions Makuta and him being put into a “long sleep” and then being “brought back to life.” While this could simply mean a comatose state, the whole "brought back to life part makes it iffy. It could actually mean Ekimu died or the Protectors assumed he was dead.
But as for the Sarcophagus, this could actually be how the Okotians (I guess Okotions doesn’t make sense, so I’ll stick with Okotians,) bury their dead leaders. This akin to the Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt, as the Sarcophagus seems to have a death mask both within (Ekimu’s protector mask) and without (the image of the Mask of Creation on the lid)
I also noticed more hints of Ancient Egyptian Culture within Okoto, The hieroglyphics on the walls is an example.
Also, the Graveyard MIGHT be influenced by the Valley of the Kings, but I don’t see enough evidence, but I still feel the need to point it out.
Also, Makuta’s mask looks like it was pulled straight from Egyptian mythos.
Temple of Creation and Temple of Time: these point out the fact that Time and Creation are both very important parts of Okotian Culture. Time has yet to be revealed how or why, BUT it is valued the most as stated in the 1st episode of the animations. (maybe the Protectors were locked in there for seven years? :wink: ), But as for Creation, they value creating, as the two Mask Makers are pretty much their kings.

I forgot to mention this, but we also got a language. Though all of us know this, I think it should at least be mentioned.

That’s all for now.

1 Like

No, we got an alphabet.

2 Likes

Ok, I can see your point, though really I think this is a tomato-tomato (how does that saying work in written form?) situation. But yes, you’re right, technically it’s just an alphabet. I should’ve clarified. :smile:

tum8o-tumahto

1 Like