Did Bionicle Ever Rip Off Anything?

i know quite a bit about transformers, and i think that might be a bit far-fetched
granted, my knowledge on the beast saga is a bit lacking in comparison to the other series

1 Like

Yeah, I would admit that the examples I listed are coincidental, and projecting even, but to say that it would be far-fetch would be to ignore the possibility of elements of beast era media being latent in Bionicle. Seeing as BW/BM had a presence before Bionicle’s launch I wouldn’t be surprised if it was part of the market research.

It is especially convincing giving the period of time the two occupied. The beast era took up the better half the 90s and positioned itself in a way that it shared a similar demographic. It also had a cast of colourful robot characters, characters that would change form in sequential waves; these characters would be assigned different scales/factions, all this with a story emphasis. By the time Bionicle launched, the market was coming out of the same 90s, plus keeping inline with what was established by throwbots and roboriders. I wouldn’t say that there is a direct copying going on, but rather, beast era media may have found a place in the synthesis of design-marketing methods (I say that as to not rule out the contribution of other things, like star wars or power rangers) that were funneled into Bionicle. Bionicle is a weird patch-work of 90s media.

Given that these were toys and that beast era stuff had a presence going into the development of bionicle, I just saw the beast era as the closet thing to bionicle in a pre-bionicle era (throwbots/slizers and roboriders aside).

3 Likes

now this i can agree with a bit more

1 Like

The Cartographer beach in Halo CE

1 Like

At least six basic elements were remind me of Pokemon.

Especially, the distinction between water and ice, ground and stone is ambiguous.

1 Like

in my opinion, not enough, i wish they pulled more ideas from history, mythology, urban legends, stories, pop culture, etc

2 Likes

He also worked for DC at the time. That’s why the DC Comics logo is on all Bionicle comics in the Lego Club magazine.

2 Likes

I thought this was because DC was publishing the comics, not because of anything specifically related to Greg.

4 Likes

I know that Nathan Furst took multiple musical cues for his own score for the BIONICLE trilogy from Howard Shore’s Lord of the Rings soundtrack.

But it was moreover a tip of the hat to Howard Shore than anything. He wasn’t stealing or ripping him off. Furst knows how to show respect to the past.

3 Likes

Bionicle 2008 stole the same characters Bionicle 2001 had.

10 Likes

This:

Maybe Tahu came from Tahuata?

2 Likes

That’s probably a coincidence. Tahu means “to burn” in Māori, same way Kopaka means ice.

@Racie02 Yeah and G2 ripped off the same characters from G1. I mean come on, a red character called Tahu? Who shoots fire? Coincidence? I think NOT! That’s exactly the same person, they weren’t even trying to be original! Plagiarism of the highest order!

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

3 Likes