Did G2 attract new fans?

I am wondering if G2 attracted any new fans specifically kids. Do any of you know about or are fans who were introduced to Bionicle via G2?

3 Likes

I was. My first sets were Vizuna and Korgot. Was at Walmart and thought they looked cool. I don’t remember exactly how I got into the community, but I remember looking up the sets to find cool poses to display my sets in. Got into moccing fairly quickly by combining my sets like a day after I got them.

Honestly, I liked g2. Maybe it’s because I never got to experience g1.

9 Likes

I barely got into LEGO when G1 was canceled. When G2 came out, it got me into the original line.

3 Likes

I got into LEGO in 2010, when Bionicle was just ending. I grew up with Hero Factory, and when G2 came out I also got into Bionicle. Because of G2, I also got interested in G1 and got some of older G1 sets and started researching about the lore as well.
Bionicle G2 may have not brought it a lot of new fans, but at least I can give it credit for getting me into Bionicle.

4 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t really get the old bionicle story until g2 got me into the theme overall

1 Like

G2 definitely got me into the fandom.
My brothers were into it for a while as well.

3 Likes

I remember seeing G1 sets and stuff as a kid but wasn’t a fan of ‘robots’ Later followed hero factory for a bit. When G2 came out I was definitely curious about what it was based on… So yeah, G2 did help me become a fan of bionicle.

1 Like

I was a fan from 2004 onward, but I’m pretty sure I came across a few kids on the public days of BFVA last summer that seemed to be G2 fans. They were talking about the creatures and listing Jungle as one of the six elements. I was glad to see that, as I didn’t personally know any fans who joined because of G2.

2 Likes

can’t imagine that a reboot which underperformed so drastically that it got canceled after a year would get more than a thousand fans including the marriage story kid

1 Like

One of my brother’s started to get really into it in 2016. Unfortunately, the early cancellation meant that he didn’t get as invested in the theme and therefore the lore (both G1 or G2)

2 Likes

As a former Gallerian I can say that i have interacted with several people that have been brought in to the fandom by g2.

2 Likes

I came closer to bionicle thanks to g2, but found out how amazing g1 was last year, now i found some pretty cheap bionicle sets in my country and i’ll probably buy them

3 Likes

yes, ME (and a few others)

1 Like

I was brought into the BIONICLE Fandom by a mix of both G1 and G2. Prior to April 2015, I read some of the G1 Comic books and had a basic understanding of the characters. I have already established a favorite character by then (Kopaka), so when I saw Kopaka at a Toys R Us in April of 2015 (I was in 2nd grade then), I got him, and he became my first Bionicle (and Lego) set.

3 Likes

Yep me. I remember going on the LEGO website and seeing the g2 logo and then checking it out and then searching up ‘LEGO Bionicle’ and then seeing most of the sets from 2001 to 2010 and also checking out the page about it in The LEGO Book and I was hooked (I remember wanting to get the bohrok first)

3 Likes

(Fair Warning; Huge Boring Paragraph from a nostalgic dude incoming.)

My parents got me my first LEGO set in 2006-2007 (Batwing chasing Joker’s helicopter I think) as I grew older I got more into it, by 2007-2008, I got Hahli Mahri. Being into stuff like Transformers and LEGO alike, Bionicle naturally appealed to me, I spent days on end on the website playing the minigames and watching animations and commercials. Me and my older brother were big fans of G1 and were really disappointed to hear that Bionicle was announced to end after 2009. Over time, I grew a liking to Hero Factory and appreciated it despite the huge circle-jerk and hate for it from the Bionicle Community. Although I kind of lost interest after they took a turn from regular figures into mechs. I completely forgot about the fandoms and ditched my interests. It wasn’t until one day in 2014, I was browsing LEGO’s site (I think?) and found a teaser of Ekimu’s Mask for Bionicle G2 that went viral on twitter, it suddenly struck me as to how awesome it was Bionicle was making a comeback. And from since then, my appreciation and love for Bionicle grew. Although despite G2’s failure to live up to it’s predecessor, I started to gravitate more to G1 focused videos on YouTube/Biotube and started collecting sets again. So in a way, it did also attract an old fan. Although I’ve met countless people who come from G2 as well. I think it was the whole wave of G2 fans discovering G1 stuff and settled for that.

TL:DR, It brought old and new fans back.

5 Likes

Me too!
I love that the boards has so many people from this demographic!

3 Likes

I was kind of interested in it, it was okay i suppose to younger me. My friend has some gen 1s so when he told me those were bionicles too, then I got interested.

G2 sets were my first Bionicle sets.

I mean, actually the Bionicle G1 Instructions and Movies were technically my first contact with the line, but I didn’t payed too much attention… for me these were just neat animated movies I watched on a laptop…

2 Likes