Dividing by Zero

As a math major I feel obligated to give my 2 cents on this matter.

From the original analogy @Krelikan gave about imagining a whole pizza and cutting it zero times, I couldn’t help but think that what they were describing was just the effect of an identity element in group theory. Essentially an identity element has the effect of doing nothing when applied to an element in a group. For example with the set of integers under addition, zero is the identity element since any element added to zero just gives you the same element back (x + 0 = x).

Lets say for fun, we were to make a group consisting of the action of cutting a pizza… it might go something like this:

Let c be an element in a set representing a single cut. The smallest group we could create is whats known as a cyclic group (usually denoted < c >), with binary operation *.

So c * c is the action of cutting twice. It could also be written in terms of exponents, so c * c = c^2. In a group we also have inverse elements, you could think of reversing the effect of a cut. So if you made a cut, you could negate its effect by multiplying it by its inverse, (c * c^-1 = e). Where e is the aforementioned identity element, (c * e = c).

Therefore, cutting the pizza zero times would correspond to composing the identity element with itself, (e * e = e).

I hope this perspective helps. Since I think the analogy wasn’t quite phrased in a proper way. Indeed if you didn’t cut the pizza, you would be left with one whole pizza.

But composing an element with its identity is not the same as division by zero. Division by zero would be the same thing as multiplying an element with the inverse of zero (in a multiplicative group). But zero doesn’t have a multiplicative inverse, so you couldn’t even form a multiplicative group with it.

Math is here to serve real life problems. It’s only purpose is to solve problems.

One last note is that Math is not really about solving real problems, at least where pure mathematics is concerned. Its much more akin to an art form- so it may not have any real world applications whatsoever.

10 Likes

Yes this is true I never denied it

In my mind it hasn’t been debunked. The reason I present my argument is because you aren’t understanding mine.

Insulting a person during an argument is the sign of a weak human.

Not dividing is dividing by zero.

No it isn’t. Dividing by zero looks like this 1/0=1. Just saying 1 is completely different.

That implies you will do something with the pizza.

The first part is correct. The second part isn’t. If math doesn’t work in the only world that matters than it has no purpose. [quote=“Willess12, post:59, topic:50635”]
The reason division by zero is “undefined” is simply because the answer you get when you apply division by zero is not the same for every scenario.
[/quote]

Maybe, but I don’t think so.

I’m just using cutting as another word for dividing.

You can’t turn it into zero groups by doing stuff. You must do nothing.

This doesn’t work because you did something.

Doing nothing is an action because you’re DOING nothing. It’s not an active action but it still is one.

So what you’re saying is you coulf divide zero times if zero had a multiplicative inverse?

2 Likes

Pretty much. If you know anything about rings in abstract algebra, then zero can technically have a multiplicative inverse if and only if its in the zero ring. This math stack exchange page may help enlighten the matter:

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s an issue of us understanding your argument, I think it’s an issue with your argument being fundamentally flawed and downright wrong

Because there is no way that 1/0=1. This is essentially trying to claim that 1=0, which is objectively wrong. If this is your argument then it is a terrible argument, as it is wrong from the beginning.

Exactly, and dividing something into a defined value requires an active action. Doing nothing is essentially let the thing stand on its own, like in the equation 1=1, or a pizza is a pizza.

5 Likes

I think the issue here is that the argument you’re trying to present here isn’t really math. Mathematics is a world all on its own, and saying that “pizza in the real world can’t be undefined” isn’t math.

I mean, we can’t physically divide numbers in the real world anyways. The number “2” isn’t a physical construct that exists. You can have 2 of something, but that doesn’t mean the greater concept of “2” is a real thing.

Mathematically, dividing by zero is just impossible. You have to accept that. The thousands of years humans have been doing math have proven it time and time again, and there is no secret revelation that will magically disprove it. If you were to attempt to divide a pizza (a quantity of 1), into groups that contain 0 portions of that pizza, you couldn’t. The number of times you cut the pizza is irrelevant, it isn’t factored into the mathematical operation. You can cut a pizza 0 times and yes, you would have a full pizza, but that isn’t the same as dividing by zero.

If this really were math, then all operations of dividing by zero in that manner would have to be equal every time. To prove that isn’t possible, let’s say you have 2 pizzas. The let’s say you want to divide those two pizzas 0 times. How many pizzas do you have left? Two. That’s a different answer than what you would say is 1/0. Therefore, x/0 would always equal x, which means x can be infinite.

And if x is infinite, then it doesn’t have a defined value. Hence, x/0 = undefined.

So what we have here is a case of getting the right answer the wrong way. What I just demonstrated isn’t how math works (as other people have said, the division operation isn’t how many times you divide something, it’s the number of groups that you’re dividing that value into).

I think the heart of the misunderstanding here is that you’re attempting to rationalize math with real world examples, which doesn’t always work out. Yes, math is a useful tool that helps us craft accurate guesses at reality, but math itself isn’t reality. As Waj, the only person here with any real authoritative word as a math major, I might add, has said:

To see this in action, take these Vsause videos:

These all deal with mathematical concepts and treat them as if they were relevant to real-world applications, but as is made clear in all of these videos, the math behind them is purely theoretical, and there is no way to actualize their effects in the real world.

7 Likes

This is where you’re getting hung up, @Krelikan. It seems like you’re stuck on the belief that not dividing something is the same as dividing it by zero. You say that not dividing something is dividing it by zero, but that is a contradiction. How can you be dividing a pizza by zero if you’re not dividing it at all? As others have said, this is not dividing. This is simply leaving the object as it is.

I respect your determination in finding a “solution” to this problem, and perhaps your abstract point is correct. Maybe, at some point in the future, we will discover a new mathematical principle that allows us to define division by zero. But that’s unlikely, simply because the very concept of dividing by zero is like the concept of living forever–it is not something that we, as physical beings in a universe of matter, can quantify. By the rules of our universe, dividing by zero is impossible.

5 Likes

Fixed that for you

5 Likes

I’m a math/compsci major (or, at least, almost; I graduate in April), and I’ve spent a fair amount of time TAing and tutoring math, so this discussion has been fascinating. [quote=“Krelikan, post:1, topic:50635”]
Math is here to serve real life problems. It’s only purpose is to solve problems.
[/quote]
I mean, not only purpose, as others have mentioned, but I’m inclined to agree at least somewhat with this mindset. Math definitions, especially, can vary slightly from source to source depending on what the author finds to be most useful in a specific context. And this conversation seems to hinge a lot on definitions.

The crux of the issue is this quote. This is something that others have debated you on, but I’ll give it one last shot. In fact, I think I see a way to interpret this that does in fact seem logically consistent… but I’ll discuss why calling this “division” is maybe not the best idea regardless.

First, we need to be in agreement on what a “cut” entails. Since this is non-realtime communication, I’ll take my best guess at how you’d define it. If the denominator of your fraction is the number of cuts, then how come 1/1 is not half? How are you defining a “cut” so that one cut still leaves you with a whole pizza?

The only way I can think of to define the fraction by the number of cuts and not encounter massive headaches, e.g. the 1/1 = half issue above, is the following way. And even then, there are still sacrifices to make.

We define a “cut” as an operation that takes a pizza cutter to the centre of the pizza, pushes it down, and then drags it out to the edge.

Then 1 cut results in a pizza that looks like the matoran symbol for “1” (the matoran numeric symbols are a great analogy for this definition of cutting), and what results is still one whole (if deformed) pizza, and so 1/1 = 1 and we are good.

A second (non-overlapping) cut will divide the pizza into two separate slices, no matter what angle it’s made at. Of course, the slices will not be of equal sizes if you choose any angle except 180 degrees from the first cut, but there’s no way to consistently cut a pizza so that after two cuts you’ll get two equal halves, and then with one additional cut you’ll get three equal thirds, so we’ll have to stop caring about slice sizes if we want to use this definition. If we do that, then we’ll say all that matters is we have two (potentially non-equal) “halves” of a pizza, and so 1/2 seems to check out. With three cuts, we’ll split one of our “halves” into two pieces, meaning we’ll have 2+1 = 3 separate pieces in total now. We can call these (potentially non-equal) pieces “thirds” and then 1/3 seems to check out. Etc.

[Update: Reading this over after submitting, I realize one may argue that the cuts don’t have to be consistent if you think of “cut” not as each step in arriving at, say, 72 slices of pizza, i.e. an operator on a single input, successively applied, but rather as a function that requires how many cuts you’re making in total as one of its two inputs. I guess it’s hard to argue with this (two inputs makes more sense for division), so you can ignore the “equal size” issues above and in the rest of this post; there are still other issues that remain]

With this definition, there is now a real-life distinction between cutting 0 times and cutting 1 times, while still letting 1/1 = 1 and still letting 1/0 = 1. But… should this “/” operation be called division? Is that the most logical way to think about this? As said before, there’s no way we can cut consistently at the same angle each time and always end up with equal-sized slices. Can we really call these “halves” 1/2 a pizza then? Can we call these “thirds” 1/3 of a pizza? And since this whole conversation is about real world practicality, how practical is “1 cut” in this definition? All we do is slightly deform the pizza without splitting it. Is being able to tell a person to “divide that pizza there by zero” a practical, real-world gain?

Furthermore, let’s leave the natural numbers. What is “half a cut” here? A cut that starts at the centre, and only makes it halfway to the edge? Does that mean 1/0.5 = 1? Is that what we want from our definition of “division”? If so, we’ve warped our “division” so much that perhaps we should call it something else. What about dividing by -1? Perhaps we restrict “division” to only ever take natural number inputs, but that still feels wrong, because we’re allowed rational outputs, which means our “set” of inputs is no longer closed under our “division” operation. Is that a desirable property?

Not to mention that division is usually best viewed as the inverse of multiplication. What is multiplication here? How about gluing together pizza slices with some healthy melted cheese. E.g. two halves make a whole (2 * 1/2 = 1), three thirds makes a whole (3 * 1/3 = 1). What about 2 * 1/3? Since size equality could not be guaranteed with this definition of cutting (one of our sacrifices) we can’t have a pizza split into 1/3 and 2/3. We called these “halves”, so 2 * 1/3 = 1/2. That could be a problem. We also how have 0*1 = 1, which many would interpret as “wrong”.

TL;DR you can define a (non-injective) cut function that works as you describe without any logical inconsistencies, but does relating this function with “division” actually “solve problems” or have any worthwhile meaning? Perhaps thinking about splitting it into equal groups is a better definition, in which case you get the “zero groups is nonsensical” issue that others have mentioned, but a whole lot of intuitive benefits.

Other things:

If you divide a pizza by :saxophone:, the pizza also doesn’t become undefined. That doesn’t mean you have a sensible answer for 1/:saxophone:.

@Waj Your response reminded me of this. Not in the sense that yours was a bad explanation (I think it was really good and helpful); just that “explaining fractions using abstract algebra” was an amusing similarity.

8 Likes

Haha nice, that comic is on the mark :stuck_out_tongue:

Its definitely been the case that the more I’ve learn’t about how math is constructed, the harder it is for me to explain things in a more elementary way.

Ayy I’m also a math/compsci major :smile:

5 Likes

I think I’m right you think I’m wrong. Neither side is convinced so either side could be wrong.

I really don’t see a correlation unless you think 1/0=0.

Not by definition.

The math world is pointless without our own. If math doesn’t work in the only world that holds it together than it really doesn’t matter.

But we can divide things that are representing numbers.

I have see supportive evidence.

I disagree with this. I still say math has no reason to exist if not to serve the real world.

If they aren’t relevant to the real world then they aren’t relevant.

I get that what I have said seems confusing. Hopefully I can use a visual aid to clear things up.
This is not dividing 1=1 this is dividing 1/0=1. The difference is just how it is written.

By the rules of our universe I say it is.

If you don’t have anything important or helpful to add then don’t add anything.

A lot of things don’t present much value but we still do them.

I’ve noticed that the pizza analogy has run its course and people have said that it’s not very effective. So lets go back to the apple one as it deals with groups rather then cuts.[quote=“Krelikan, post:35, topic:50635”]
Here’s another analogy my friend came up with to try and prove me wrong. If you have ten apples and you divide it into five piles you have divided by five. If you divide ten apples into
[/quote]

1 Like

The whole intro to this discussion was deciding that 1/0 = 1 because of a practical real-world analogy.

That’s even harder to defend. With the pizza, we had a way to define “cut” so that 1/1 = 1. How are you dividing the 10 apples so that, when you “divide it once”, you still have 10 apples per group? Defining division as the number of times you successively split something up doesn’t make sense.

3 Likes

This isn’t a matter of opinion, this is a matter of fact. The crux of your argument is objectively wrong.

The correlation is obvious, but allow me to explain it anyways. You’re trying to say that 1/0=0. Now let’s replace the zero in the denominator with the variable x, as leaving it as is would give us “undefined”=0, which is pointless considering the topic. What it does give us is 1/x=0, and now all we need to do is find x. Basic grade school level algebra would dictate that to solve for x we would need to move it out from the denominator, which would require that we multiply each side by x. this would give us (x)(1/x)=0x. The rules of simplification would cancel out the x in the denominator giving us 1=0x. Anything multiplied by 0 is 0, so therefore 0x=0.

Giving us finally 1=0, which is objectively wrong

Ok, what definition are you using then?

5 Likes

Perhaps dividing by 0 can be better explained with this analogy:

Let’s say I have 10 apples and five friends. I decide to distribute my apples evenly among my friends. How many apples does each friend get?

The answer is two, of course. That was easy.

Now, let’s say I have 0 apples and five friends. I decide to distribute my apples evenly among my friends. How many apples does each friend get?

The answer is 0 and we all starve. All good so far…

Finally, let’s say I have 10 apples and no friends. I decide to distribute the apples equally to each of my friends. How many apples does each friend get?

The answer is… no number at all. Each of my “friends” gets no amount of apples at all, because I have no friends to give any apples to. The answer isn’t 10, because no person receives 10 apples (I don’t count, since I had the apples already). Nor is it 0, since no person receives 0 apples. There is technically an answer; it’s just “not a number”, or as it’s called in mathematics, “undefined”.

This is the best thing I can come up with for how division by 0 would apply in the real world, and why it doesn’t have any actual answer.

8 Likes

This is a dangerous line of thinking in math, liturature, history, and other intellectual studies. Usefulness is not worth, nor is it a determinate for something worthy of existing.

Look at this conversation: what has it done? Nothing apparently. You’re not moving in argument, neither is anyone else. Therefore it doesn’t have much usefulness. So is it worthless? Nope. Because ideas, debate, and discussion are intellectually stimulating. It gives greater understanding of our surroundings and past, even if it doesn’t apply to me right now.

Also, who are we to say something is not worthy of existing? What authority do we have?

15 Likes

Sorry dude, the Algebra explanation was already used a while back and he wouldn’t accept it as being worthwhile.
Basically no explanation we give will matter because @Krelikan is dead set on being wrong. He refuses to listen to logic, even when it’s irrefutable. The argument should thus end here. Krelikan is objectively wrong in his assertion that man can divide numbers by zero, but he doesn’t have the humility to admit defeat. He’ll just repeat the same thing over and over again despite any of our best efforts in proving him wrong. He chooses to be wrong, and I say we let him.

7 Likes

Doing nothing is not dividing by zero, it’s dividing by one, you cannot divide anything by zero in reality as it is effectively multiplying by infinity. And to clarify what kind of infinity because yes equations can have infinity as a magnitude, actual infinity. This means we aren’t multiplying be a massive number, we are multiplying by an endless number.

To put it into terms you can more easily understand, take a pizza and split it up into no groups. How can you do that? How can you split an object up no times? You can’t leave it, if you left the pizza you would split it into 1 group, I need you to split it so you would have no groups at the end.

@Traykar your logic and math is flawed, as I explained earlier:
1/0 = infinity as dividing by nothing is the same as multiplying by everything, this is because, the smaller any denominator gets for a real value, the result increases, thus as the denominator tends to zero, the result will tend towards infinity.

This is called the limit of an equation and is written like this: Lim[x->0] 1/x
The answer for this equation is as x gets closer and closer to 0, the value will get closer and closer to infinity. At the end of the day and I cannot stress this enough,

We Cannot Divide By Zero In Reality

Maths does not have to define nor describe our world exactly, this is what gives rise to paradoxes and things we cannot understand, in this case it’s a flaw of language not the maths. And if you want another example of maths we can understand, try and visualise a tesseract.

1 Like

My math isn’t flawed because A: it’s proving that One divided by Zero isn’t One, and B: We can’t find any meaningful answer to One divided by Zero. Infinity is absurd in of itself. Half of infinity is infinity, and two times infinity is infinity. There are an infinite ammount of numbers, and an Infinite amount of numbers between one and zero. Infinity is forever, so it can’t really be an informative answer. Besides, is you saying that Infinity works as any answer but isn’t useful in practice any diffrent from me proving that one divided by zero doesn’t give us any worthwhile answer?

1 Like

Ok you got me there. I probably misread your posts, there’s quite a few on this topic now, however I will disagree with infinity being an uninformative answer, it is an answer, just not one we can use in terms of quantity.

2 Likes

Unless you’re using it in an equation, then it’s an uncombinable term, adding to the craziness.

Math is fun.

1 Like

Dividing by zero = dividing by nothing, but dividing by nothing =/= not dividing at all.

When you multiply a number by x, you get that number added to zero x times.

3 * 3 = 3 + 3 + 3 = 9

So, when you mulitply by one, you are taking that number and adding it to zero 1 time.

3 * 1 = 3 = 3

When you multiply zero, you take that number and add it to zero zero times. That makes sense.

3 * 0 = 0 = 0

When you divide, you are undoing multiplication.

9 / 3 = 3

Because when you multiplied 3 and 1 you did not add anything to the number, you don’t have to do anything when you divide. This is, basically, your concept of “not dividing.”

3 / 1 = 3

But, if dividing by 1 is the same thing as not dividing, what does that make dividing by 0?

0 / 0 = ?

By the logic established by our previous multiplication, you’d expect 0 / 0 = 3. But what happens why you try to undo 7 * 0? Would that not also be supposed to equal 7 when you divide 0 by 0? You can not figure out what 0 / 0 means, because it can mean every number. And, since taking a value and dividing it by something without a value (or, zero value), should make it soar in value-

1 / 1 = 1
1 / 0.1 = 10
1 / 0.0001 = 10,000
1 / 0.00000001 = 100,000,000

(The smaller you divide by, the larger the quotient)

-dividing by zero should make 1 equal to infinity, which has an undefined value. Therefore, 1 / 0 does not equal 1, but undefined.

8 Likes