Do bionicles have brains?

Do bionicles have actual brains or just some kind of wiring and/or hard drive?

3 Likes

They have brains. But it has never been stated if they are organic or mechanical.

2 Likes

Being the way they are, it would make sense if their brains were organic and mechanical. Like, they have some pre programmed information, but they can still learn new things and stuff.

4 Likes

They have equivalent of human brains inside their skull their toughts and "brain"functions reside there. They do not think using their heart lamp.

Greg has been purposely vague about the actual nature of the brain. he didn’t want to specifyi it. Closest that has been said is that like everything else inside matorna universe they are advanced nanotechnology.

3 Likes

Do you have any citation for this, so that I can mark this as a solution?

2 Likes

Here is also answer why he does not want to canonise it publicly.

3 Likes

Okay, but hear me out:

In Mask of Light, Jaller makes a very interesting comment that Takua has “more rocks in his head than a Po-Matoran.” What’s interesting about this is that Takua isn’t a Po-Matoran. If only Po-Matoran had rocks in their heads, that would make sense – maybe earth types have dirt in their heads, ice types have ice in their heads, etc. But the fact that an Av-Matoran has the head rocks suggests that they’re a common trait among Matoran, but Po-Matoran generally have more than other types (Takua being an exception)

Now, this doesn’t mean much on its own, but then there’s a line in the comic “Hanging by a Thread” where Nokama says after Matau pulls a dumb move “that’s the trouble with you air types. Too mugh of it between your ears.” This seems to suggest that Matau (and other air types) have fewer head-rocks than others, and suggests a correlation between the head-rocks and intelligence.

I think it is safe to assume, then, that their brains are organic rocks. Interestingly, this also means that Po-Matoran are generally smarter (and Takua is exceptionally smart), and Le-Matoran are generally the dumbest.

Yes, this is entirely a joke. I think the post above is the best answer we’re gonna get, I just wanted to make a joke about brain rocks.

9 Likes

Unknown on purpose. Greg kept it vague, but leaned more so to the mechanical side. Our best bet is that they are biomechanical just like the rest.
But the correct answer is we don’t know.