Do People Not Like Reading Books Anymore?

Pathetic. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s probably a good portion. Websites are designed to pleasing to the eye and easy to read, while PDF’s on the other hand are not. The PDF file type was invented so that a document displays the same on all devices.

1 Like

As in, Philosopher’s Stone is one of the only books of a decent length I can think of where I just picked it up one day and didn’t stop reading until I finished. Most of the time I do chunks :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My joke still stands.

I read all 3 LoTR, (if you cut out the time I spent waiting for the next one) in 4 afternoons.

2 Likes

For the record, I read The Blood Of Olympus in just four days. And I read the seventh Michael Vey book in just a couple hours.

I forget, which book is Blood of olympus? The… 5th right?

Haven’t read any Michael Vey.

1 Like

Yes, it’s the fifth.

Oh, I love those books. They’re SO GOOD.

Thought so. That took me no time at all.

1 Like

That is quite impressive. It took me three attempts to get past the first chapter of Fellowship of the Ring.

1 Like

To be fair, I don’t think I could do that now. I don’t have the ability to hyperfocus like I used to.

1 Like

Have you’ve read the Silmarillion yet?

1 Like

Read it? I own it.

1 Like

same, I’ve read that thing cover to cover thrice now. Funny story tho: the first time I tried to read the thing was in 6th grade. I found the book and was like I wonder what this is.

1 Like

I second this suggestion to read the ‘classics’ and the great authors, but I would recommend searching in their catalogs for books that interest you, and reading them for that reason.

For instance, when I read Romeo & Juliet for school, I wasn’t a fan, because the star-crossed lovers trope has never really interested me. But, the following year we read A Midsummer Night’s Dream, which I appreciated much more because the plot was more entertaining and appealed more to my preferences.

I’m not saying not to try new things, but trying new things for its own sake can lead to not liking things you might have loved if you entered from a more approachable starting point.

2 Likes

Eh, I still like reading books. What’s changed is that I don’t actively look for fantasy and sci-fi to read anymore. I still enjoy reading and re-reading my old favorites like Garth Nix and Bionicle, but I don’t have any tolerance for reading stories that don’t appeal to me.

For some reason, I find myself reading a lot of non-fiction books these days as my main interest. I guess I’m an adult or something.

1 Like

I like books.

3 Likes

me too

1 Like

I’m almost exclusively into audiobooks vs reading for fictions; and video essays for more topical stuff.

1 Like

Personally no
The last book I’ve read was 2-ish years ago for a school assignment

oof

It hasn’t been that long for me but the last physical book I’ve read was I think the sword art manga.