Do People Not Like Reading Books Anymore?

I’ve read all the BIONICLE Novels (sans RoSS and MoL) tons of times yet I’m still not bored of them…

3 Likes

Well I bought my first book in years; sword ar… I mean ready player two.

1 Like

I just got that book for Christmas…and I still haven’t finished it yet because of, well, life. But I’m getting close.

I was curious to read it after seeing some reviews plus I did like the first movie.

1 Like

Just got a book for Christmas? That was five months ago.

2 Likes

Time sure flies, doesn’t it?:yum:

what is this witchcraft

wait, no it…

crap

2 Likes

Just when I thought emojis couldn’t get worse.

3 Likes

I LOVE reading books, I strongly dislike audiobooks and E-books because it’s just not the same. In fact I spent a good deal of time hunting down this first edition reproduction of my favorite book of all time. J.R.R. Tolkien’s Masterpiece, The Hobbit

7 Likes

Oh god there sure are some people who will disagree.
(LOTR is better)

I read sometimes. But it got rarer over time

1 Like

My intellect has regressed, and I no longer know how to read.

3 Likes

It’s 2022, and I still read books. It is still my brain’s preferred way to learn new things.

3 Likes

dang, 2020 winger was obnoxious as all get out

I still think reading is super important. Though I don’t read nearly as often as I should, I think that having some kind of habit of reading has tons of both practical and intellectual benefits.

In a weirdly separate category, I also find reading super enjoyable. Pretentious and overdone as it is, I really am completely enamored by the feeling of immersing yourself in different worlds and people and places and minds.

I also think that people who relegate reading as being for nerds or introverts are simply … wrong. Or ignorant. I don’t know. That said, I get that some people simply don’t enjoy reading, which is fine with me. But I would 100% recommend it. It doesn’t even have to be a super mature or intellectual book. Honestly, some of my favorite books of all time are legitimately just children’s books.

7 Likes

that’s my boy

oh…

As opposed to illegitimately children’s books, like so much garbage out there. Children’s books is a medium that needs to be properly defended and not left to the wolves like it has been.

8 Likes

This statement is worthy of praise. I love reading, but I have begun hating children’s literature lately because so little of it is written intelligently anymore. You have only reused plots and crass humor, written by people who seem uninterested in giving children food for thought. Instead they pander to the desires of instant gratification and entertainment, creating the books that I now hate (mainly remakes or children’s editions of movies or series like the Narnia books). We need more writers like the ones on these boards: people who sincerely care about their craft, instead of those who are writing just for the money, or fame, or the other types of notoriety that come with projecting your views upon readers. (I’m looking at you, Charlotte Mason. You’ll understand if you ever read her book Ourselves.)

End of rant.

5 Likes

The internet is the enemy of literature and we all know it.

4 Likes

The Legend Trilogy (quadrilogy?) by Marie Lu is probably the best series I’ve ever read, it’s just written so masterfully and epic

(Yes, even better than Bionicle)

1 Like

well the bionicle stories aren’t really that hard to beat

3 Likes

Fair enough

Ursula leGuin’s fantasy and science fiction books are interesting, whether one agrees with the (admittedly politicized) author’s comments in them or not. I personally think them rather enjoyable, as they feature quite a few characters that are well realized by the author. Even many of the stranger ones are pretty good, with interesting characterization and good writing.