Does a Toa Seal break when firing elements seperately?

In Web of Shadows, Roodaka managed to break a Toa seal by capturing all elements inside a crystal from a protodermis cage. But technically the elements were not all captured at exactly the same time (there was quite some delay between the first five and Vakama’s element). So is this just plot armor or is it possible to capture the elements one by one?

2 Likes

I would say that it just has to still have all the energy in it.

But that still leaves the question of whether there’s a cutoff where it doesn’t work anymore, and when that is. Seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days? Weeks?

1 Like

Hmm. I would say that the energy could last at most 15 minutes. But it will probably be gone sooner.

Seems about fair. My own estimate would be closer to five minutes, but that’s close enough.

1 Like

Five minutes sounds more realistic but bonkle physics are weird.

1 Like

According to Greg Quotes, no:

Of course, this answer is contradicted by Web of Shadows. The only way to reconcile the quote with the movie is to assume that Roodaka was somehow able to hold the powers within herself before releasing all six into the shard at once.

1 Like

Yeah but the quote is about forming a toa seal not breaking it…

I agree with Senit here. Still leaves me wondering where the cutoff is. I think it is somewhat weird that the seal has to be formed with extreme timing while it can be destroyed without such timing.

1 Like

Oh shoot, you’re right.

1 Like

Something I’m curious about as well. Coming back 10 years after Bionicle ended as I did, I also had some holes in my memory around these cages. I also remember Makuta as being able to control all elements except light, and I pursued the possibility of a Makuta being able to use 6 Toa elements at once to break a cage or even create one… then I was told that Makuta only control the “lesser elements” which are more like Rahkshi powers and magnetism, gravity, etc.

2 Likes

Well, it’s not really a precise timing thing, since the Toa usually fire a steady stream of elemental energy. That makes it so the window is more lenient, there only needs to be one moment where elements overlap.

The only reason that doesn’t work for the Hordika is because they need Rhotuka to use their element. But maybe the Rhotuka elemental effect lasts for a bit, so it’s as if they were shooting elemental powers over an extended period of time. Roodaka certainly looked like she was still being afflicted by the energies.

That would explain the discrepancy in accordance with canon.

Rhotuka could be like water bombs, a big burst with residual traces for a while after.

It also continues a theme, baring in mind the Hordika could charge objects with elemental power (the Tower of Toa).