E-Books Vs. Physical Books Vs. Audio Books

I never once said or implied that audio books are less of a valid medium than normal books.

Oh, okay. I guess they should be classified as different from books since it’s different from reading.

There are several audiobooks I would recommend.
Mass Effect books
Dragon Age books
Anything of Asimov
Anything from Tolkien, specially the Silmarilium
Harry Potter books
Star Wars: Darth Bane trilogy
Star Wars: Darth Plegueis
But thats just me :T

1 Like

I have all of those! (ripped from library CDs xD)

1 Like

Someone needs to change the title to:

E-Books Vs. Physical Books Vs. Audio Books

3 Likes

Done.

2 Likes

audio books be my jam

listen on the way to school

listen while mocing

listen when going to bed

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

6 Likes

I listened to two audiobook versions of The Hobbit and LOTR. Really good.

1 Like

Yes, also Darth Plegueis one is the only way I could read/listen to that novel. The one narrating is just perfect for that Sith. Also that novel made me respect the prequels even more.

I find audiobooks to be useless to my tastes
When I read something, I would like to check what I read*, and if I would be multitasking while listening to one, it would be hard to focus, but thats just me

*let me explain this quickly, this is usually for when I dont really understand what the paragraph says, or whatever, and yes, I know you can do the same for an audiobook, but its harder to get to that exact point you would want to rehear

so to me, audiobooks are just…meh

2 Likes

Same goes for me. I read a lot of passages twice, either for better understanding or so that I remember it better. When I’m listening to an audiobook, I inevitably get distracted every few minutes and miss something, and it’s a pain to go back.

2 Likes

Thats why you listen to them more than once. I find them way better and if the guys reading the book is amazing I cant see anyway to look the book up.

Listen to them more then once?
if you mean by replaying them, look above

If you mean, listen to the whole book again
No, I am not going to listen to a book twice in a row, just because I didnt get one part

but I am going to assume you mean the former

If you cant understand the paragraph in that audiobook, then its a bad audiobook. I for one have not experienced any bad ones yet so saying they are meh only includes the bad ones. Some are soo good than no other way of reading the book would bring it more justice than that audiobook.

I just dont like them man.

I find it ruins the whole idea of actually reading a book (imo)

I guess its good for when you are jogging, or something like that

That’s when I use them, they’re great for when I bike up to school.

To be fair, there are some books that are better as audio books than regular books, and vice versa.

Example A: The Kane Chronicles Trilogy, by Rick Riordan
According to in-story lore, the books have been transcribed from audio messages from Protagonists Carter and Sadie Kane. The two fight over the microphone in the book, and have different styles of narration. The audio books do a good job of conveying this, having both a male voice for Carter’s parts, and a female voice for Sadie’s parts. This little touch adds a lot of realism to the book that couldn’t be achieved through reading.

Example B: The Leviathan Trilogy, by Scott Westerfield
The Leviathan Trilogy also features two main Protagonists, Aleksander and Deryn, with a male voice used for both parts. However, the advantage of the physical version of this book is the addition of illustrations that allow you to properly visualize both the characters and the environment. Obviously the audio book cannot have pictures, making it much more difficult to understand ‘see’ what is going on.

3 Likes

this isn’t always the case. Some people, like me, are just easily confused.

3 Likes

Sounds neat. Maybe the audio books would help me to actually finish that series. :stuck_out_tongue:

Gotta love them hard covers.

3 Likes