Empress of the Depths (Toa Tuyet v2.0) - Canon Contest Entry

While working on Toa Dume, I had a thought: “What if I revamped my Toa Mangai to fix the major problems with them?” The problems I had with Tuyet were the Shoulder mod, the lack of anything new in the build and most importantly of all, it felt like I just made Nokama with different parts.
It is my pleasure to introduce you to…Tuyet v2.0:

My main focus when designing her was the following details:
1). Armor Matoro could recognize as Toas, meaning parts from pre 2006, with an emphasis on the Mata/Metru armor.
2). A blue color scheme that didn’t restrict part options.
3). Looks outwardly heroic, while still having a hidden darkness.

Another point was to make Tuyet similar to, but not just a Metru build. We have no reason to assume she had a Metru build, as nothing in story or outside outright confirms this. I chose to make her a Mata/Nuva and Metru Blend with some armor from the Mahri, as Toa Lesovikk and the Mahri use these pieces so Matoro would still recognize it. it also plays into the smooth meets piston look I’m going for.

My original plan was to have Tuyet’s colors reflect the ocean itself, with the lightest at the top, and the bottom being black. Instead the colors ended up being Medium Blue and Metru Blue, as Medium Blue proved to be an excellent color to build custom parts out of.

Old and New design showing this:

Improving the shoulder articulation was a major focus, as the previous was overall too limited and damaging in the long run. The new connection allows for a full range of movement, with the exception of less forwards and backward at the shoulder.

The chest also features a removable waist, so you can cut Tuyet in half without having to dismantle the body or sacrifice the group cohesion.
The only thing you have to do once pulling out the waist is remove the chest armor from it and reattach it to the upper torso. If you want a tighter connection, you can swap the heartlight for this piece, making the connection stronger.

The sword is based on the Koa Sword, at the suggestion of Takutanuva:

Before this quote I was struggling to figure out a design, so special thanks to Takutanuva.
The sword is Gunmetal due to parts restriction but this actually works to show the difference between Tuyet and the other Toa.

Breakdown:

Height Comparison:

Mangai:

Kingdom:

Dead:

Glamor Shots:

The mask is a placeholder and can be changed. The current mask was made by Galva.

Link to the background used for the promo shot: BIONICLE Liminal Spaces - Album on Imgur

Stud.io File: Toa Tuyet, Empress of the Depths

Tell me what you think of her!
(More pics will be added soon)

26 Likes

Looks pretty nice! I like the sword design, and the whole moc in general just looks really original and unique.

1 Like

Thanks! The sword is second favorite part, right after the feet design.

My goal was to try and depict a Tuyet that similar enough to the Metru build, but is unique enough to stand out. I also wanted her to not just look like another Dark and Evil looking Tuyet, but still show that with the Cyan Eyes (colder than most Toa of Ice), the Doom Viper shoes and the Gunmetal sword.

1 Like

looks pretty nice
The tuyet pressure is ON

1 Like

You’ve got that right. I can’t wait to hear the contest be announced!

yeah me too!
I’ve got all the parts for my Tuyet and I’m just waiting for the contest to start.

1 Like

Nice, I never really had the Toa of Water sets so I’m trying currently to get the pieces I need to make a physical model before the contest is start, so fingers crossed

1 Like

Nice MOC!
I think the use of Rahkshi head parts on the toes is very unique.

If you like, I would like to see this color pattern, but is that okay?

2 Likes

Sure it’ll take a little bit but I’ll ping you when it’s done.

A little backstory on this, they were Toa Naho’s feet before Tuyet, but I swapped them after I noticed they looked better on Tuyet.

2 Likes

Very cool sword design! i think it’s my favourite thing about this moc!

1 Like

Thanks! I’m really happy how it turned out overall, the only, besides not being able to make the sword end in a point.

@of_alt Here you go

I’m slightly worried about the amount of pieces to paint, but I’m digging this color scheme

5 Likes

Thank you so much!
I personally thought that this color scheme would suit her because it looks like a hero at first glance.

2 Likes

No problem and I agree with you. The only problem would be some people aren’t fans of painting parts but if it means we’d get a better looking Tuyet I’m ok with it. I’ll try out the promo image and see how it looks.

1 Like

I think the sword should have the “barbs” in white. It calls back to the koa sword inspiration more and feels more aquatic. Otherwise looks nice. I like the rahkshi head feet.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice! I’ll add them to the test picture to see how it all turns out. So far from the non-rendered build, it looks pretty cool.

By the way, do you have your MoI as a Stud.IO file? I’d love to use it if it’s available
EDIT: @Rothanak and @of_alt here’s the promo art:

3 Likes

Sure: Rothanak_mask of intagibility.io - Google Drive

Feel free to share it around since its not in my pack yet.

2 Likes

Will do thanks! I’m also doing a render of my model wearing it so I can show what it looks like.
Edit: Here it is

2 Likes

Nice, it fits pretty well with the other armor shaping like the nuva chest

3 Likes

Maybe you should mention the split function with boldened text at the beginning? I quick scrolled your post first and thought at first the split image was depicting construction instead of a function.

1 Like

Yeah your mask is a great fit for the armor

Thanks for letting me know, I’ve added the bolded text and plan on adding a new picture showing it off clearer.

1 Like