Environments, Elements, and Matoran in Brickonicle [Worldbuilding][Pitch]

One thing I never understood about the island of Mata Nui (and now Artahka, in G3) is how drastically different each region is, or how so many biomes of varying characteristics could be found on the same island (I understand that the island is relative large, large enough that it takes 1-2 weeks to cross it on foot. However, the weather patterns seem to sporadic.) However, one thing I CAN understand is the Matoran of each element being able to survive in their respective environments with little to no effect.

Today, I had a thought, and I’m wondering if it makes any sense. It is typically assumed that a being (a Matoran, in this case) is affected by the environment, causing the individual to adapt to survive.

What if the opposite was true?

What if (in the case of the Matoran) the environment was affected by the Matoran’s presence? This would explain how the island could possibly so unnaturally diverse in biomes. The Matoran’s elemental energy permeates around them to such an extent that it directly affects the environment. This permeation could explain why Matoran appear to be unable to manipulate their respective elements to the extent of the Toa, because their bodies are unable to keep their elemental energy inside.

• Fire Matoran: raise the temperature of their environment dramatically.

• Water Matoran: increase the humidity of their environment dramatically.

• Air Matoran: weaken the gravitational pull of their environment.

• Earth Matoran: increase the rate of plant generation in their environment.

• Sand/Stone Matoran: decrease the humidity of their environment dramatically.

• Ice Matoran: lower the temperature of their environment dramatically.

• Lightning Matoran: due to their unnatural existence, they do not influence their environment.

5 Likes

Hm, that sounds interesting. I personally think that the more power you have would mean more of it would leak out, as these mortal shells can only contain so much. Since this is a world with living mythology, It’s probably more likely that the reason for the differences is the lingering influence of the gods, and perhaps some of their power leaking out of shrines and temples around the area. I wouldn’t be surprised if all matoran did have some small weather-affecting abilities related to their element however, possibly to be used in conjunction during religious festivals and rituals to maintain their region’s magic and environmental characteristics. The matoran could also have one or two other special talents, like I suggested here.
Once again, I probably put in a bit more than my two cents. Oops.

1 Like

I see the lingering influence of the gods as the very existence of the Matoran, which gives them an additional function: shaping the world around them.

Also, I’m not saying that the leaking of power means the Matoran are more powerful. What I mean is that they generate elemental energy at a low quantity but over an extended period of time, and they have no way to keep this energy within their bodies. Multiplying this effect by the population of each elemental tribe, spread over a wide landscape, would exponentially increase the overall effect.

Example for Fire Matoran: compare Toa and Matoran in the same way as a boiling kettle and a sauna, respectively. The kettle is going to be much hotter than the sauna (enough to cause 1st-2nd degree burns) but is confined to a smaller vessel. The sauna, while still relatively hot, is spread out over a much larger area, lessening the extremity.

My problem with this is that it means the matoran would have no way to use elemental powers if they can’t contain energy, and if the gods were creators of their regions, then it’s only logical that they would shape them to their prefered element, regardless of what conventional geography would dictate. The matoran, then, are merely conduits for the god’s power through ritual, not the cause in and of themselves.

[quote=“Drahcir_Nosnevets, post:4, topic:37695, full:true”]
My problem with this is that it means the matoran would have no way to use elemental powers if they can’t contain energy[/quote]

The Matoran could increase the rate at which elemental energy leaves their bodies (therefore actively using their elemental power at a reduced potency), which would be followed by some form of fatigue. Once becoming fatigued, the Matoran’s bodies would then begin to release less energy for a certain period of time (until they have fully recharged). Similar to exercising a muscle, a Matoran could train themselves in their elements, increasing their elemental power by forcing their body to adapt and store more. A Matoran would never be able to reach the power of a Toa (not even close), but they could grow strong enough to fend for themselves in an emergency.

If you mean the gods would shape their regions to their (the gods’) preferred element, it would require constant care to maintain such an environment.
If you mean the gods would shape the Matoran to their preferred element, that’s true.

That’s what I mean, but the Matoran’s elemental power is still such a significant part of their being, that it practically is theirs. Technically, it belongs to the gods, but the Matoran are conduits, as you said. Still, from a locational standpoint, the energy would be emanating from within the Matoran, specifically because they would be created to do so.

There are two more issues I see with this: One, limiting the matoran’s powers to simple, automatic effects that have no significance except when in large amounts takes away from their potential variety as characters, and prevents us from using the cast’s idea of matoran having small elemental “talents” which they can use at will (shielding, good eyesight, impeccable bow shot, etc.). Second, you are suggesting that the GODS WHO MADE THE ISLAND do not have the power to maintain the ecosystem in one area? Sure, they have less power in the material world since they exist as spirits now, but I can easily imagine that their temples and shrines would act as conduits for their power in maintaining the ecosystem.

Also, I believe that it’s been said that the matoran were created as a single race by Ekimu, and their elemental alignments came after their creation. Therefore, it can be logically assumed that the matoran are not sources of elemental power, which was the essence of the (separately created) gods, but instead they are aligned to one particular element at birth and have the power to absorb and stockpile that energy to a certain extent, limited by their spiritual power. This energy can be manifested directly into the world through will in the form of elemental talents, which are activated at will by the user, not ambient affects. In this way, the matoran continue the work of their respective gods, not as conduits but as agents as the power of the gods can only feed into the world through contact points to the otherworld, and they have no bearing on how this power is used.

TL;DR, I believe that the power of the gods through can flow into and maintain the regional ecosystems through temples, shrines, and other entries to the other side, and that this power can be absorbed and utilized by their matoran worshippers.

TBH, all of this is up to the cast, and this argument has little to no bearing on their decisions in all likelyhood. :stuck_out_tongue:

I do like your pitch, as it makes the matoran relevant to the island. The matoran make sure the island remains divers, with destinct biomes. So when Makuta wants to destroy the matoran, the beauty of the island and the state we as the audience know it in, will be lost. This is why we want the toa to win, because we like the matoran and the island.

One thing, an island like this could theoratically exist, maybe with a bit of fairy dust. As someone who really likes geography and cartography, I made multiple maps of Okoto where the island is more realistic. Some hints on how this works:
-Use a tall mountain range, as mountain form natural borders between rain forests en deserts. If they are high enough, they create an area where there is a permanent presence of snow.
-Most islands have vulcanoes, which can be in the same regions as mountains.
-Water: Sea and rivers, which can be rivers from the melting ice on top of the mountain or fed by the rain in the jungle.
-Earth: Underground or an area close to the jungle region, but not quite as humid/rainy.

1 Like