Favorite 3D animation style?

Hmm, not how I interpreted it but fair enough. I think even with all the flesh removed and an entirely mechanical design, it still feels less toy accurate than Miramax by a long shot.

Personally I’m not too keen on the Bionicle game style - it’s okay and works well in its context. The hands are a nice touch though. It kind of looks like how they’d design the Toa if they were to make a children’s TV series based on them with their more simplified design, larger blocks of colour and oversized head - not meant to be a criticism, just the vibe I get.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was talking about. Pretty similar design choices.The upper leg design, the mask, the nuva armor, etc.

3 Likes

I prefer the Ghost style, mostly because it looks the nicest. Overall the animation looks nice, and while the models leave something to be desired the rest of the animation easily makes up for it imo.

3 Likes

something similar to the mirimax/2003 video game style, but just a tad more set accurate would be nice.

2 Likes

I want to be objective on quality here, but sorry, nostalgia is overpowering all reason and I’m going with the Miramax style purely for that

2 Likes

Tinseltown Toons, Of course.

1 Like

for me its probably either ghost or miramax.
I like the set acuraccy of all but miramax, but especally ghost.
the reason I like miramax is because it does show how organic some parts of the characters are.

but masks as mouths? please no

3 Likes

While Tinseltown Toons has a lot going for it with trying to make the cahracters look like actual machines with weathering, I ultimately much prefer Ghost’s approach. It’s basically the sets, but in the envirenments of the story. I’ve always imagined story scenes to look similar to Ghost commercials.
In my opinion, the toys shouldn’t look worse than in animation and vice versa. They’re already realy well designed, so why not just keep their look?

2 Likes

Tinseltown Toons. Absolutely loved how they translated the set designs, especially with the HF series.

2 Likes

Ghost is my favorite!

And my least favorite is from Journey to One, I just don’t like that style of animation.

1 Like

Creative Capers/Miramax by far. I love how they built on the sets and made them more lifelike and emotive. Every time I rewatch those movies, I find another small detail I didn’t notice before. They put a lot of thought into how these characters would be put together, and what they might be made from.

3 Likes

This is kind of a semi-hot topic now with the art contests going on, so figured I’d dig up the topic.

Miramax: I really like the character designs of Miramax. Objectively, the quality of this animation is the worst of all these (barring the videogame) but they reimagine the set designs in a way that really does suggest the biomechanical, which I like because that’s harder to convey with the toys. The effects always look kind of weird and gimmicky in the Miramax films, though - Teridax’s Shadow Hand is a good example, it was really stiff and just felt off.

Ghost: Opposite end of the spectrum for me. Toy-accuracy is great for commercials, but not really what I’d go for on par. It definitely works fantastic for some characters (like Krika) but it’s quite harsh for others (such as Gadunka). Environments look stunning though, and it’s by far the highest in production budget out of the lot. Ghost has worked behind-the-scenes on a number of really big budget movies, they know what they’re doing - and I’d love to see their take on an actual film, rather than a commercial.

Tinseltown Toons: I can’t look at this style and not think Hero Factory, lol. It walks the tightrope between the two aforementioned styles, but it’s fails to solidly hit either. Not my favourite.

Journey To One (Volta): So I disliked a lot of the things about JTO, but the animation was not one of them. This visual style is one of my favourite things to come out of G2, and I wish it had a better plot to go with it. I think they could actually go a bit heavier on the cel-shading and make the characters blend with the backdrops a bit more, and some of the character designs (like the Beasts) don’t translate too well, but it feels like a comic that’s just come to life - evokes G1 better than many of the actual G1 animation styles, ironically. This + Miramax approach to character design would be amazing, in my opinion. Probably my favourite.

Bionicle: The Game: This one often gets overlooked, but it has some fantastic character designs - especially when it comes to Kanohi Masks, Rahi, and the Mata Build. Obviously looks the worst when looking at objective quality, but that’s because it’s both the oldest and a videogame. They also did a test trailer with more set-accurate designs, but those looked absolutely hideous, unfortunately. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes