G3 Terminology

(If this is categorized under another topic I apologize)

One important topic to discuss is Gen 3’s language and terminology. Most of us can agree that Gen 1 had a lot of names and terms. Gen 2 in contrast was very simple. But how do we find balance between the two? What do we keep (and throw out), so that it’s still interesting but also make it approachable to new fans?

Here’s some of my thoughts. Post your own below.

Here’s what I think should be kept:

Keeping names similar makes it easier to remember them.

Words that should be scraped:

Suva => Toa Shrine / Mask Shrine
Makoki Stones => Key Stones / Fusion Stones
Toa Kaita => Toa Fusion
Amaja circle

With Rahi, I think hyphenated names would work best.

(There are a lot of creature names that aren’t easy to remember.)

I think the individual Bohrok names could also be simplified.

Example: Tahnok => Bohrok-tah

7 Likes

I’m not sure about some of the stuff you’ve said, but I talked about jargon in my pitch topic, so here’s an edited down quote of that:

Those are the main things that I talked about (excluding one that was specific to my pitch).

1 Like

“Sea mantis”
the tarakava are punch lizards,
I’d like to keep it that way.

13 Likes

The Rahi names aren’t hard to remember. I don’t see why they need to change.

2 Likes

“Okoto Nui”

Oh come on, that was my idea…

:stuck_out_tongue: All in all, I pretty much agree with @Matanui606’s quote. Except for the part about Turaga - I think that Turaga should be the term for the elderly Matoran who leads his/her village, as opposed to just any old Matoran. As for transforming between Matoran, Toa, and Turaga, I’m a bit on the fence. (Except for the initial Matoran into Toa concept, I’m fine with that for our main cast.)

1 Like

Yeah, I’m a little on the fence about a few of these; “Sea Mantis” and some of the other proposed Rahi names could definitely work and remain realistic for a hypothetical G3; that said, I’m going to put my foot down with “Okoto-Nui”, as the mix simply doesn’t give off an authentic Bionicle vibe to me.

Frankly, many of these may be a bit redundant, especially considering the potential audience of a G3; I appreciate the intent, but I don’t agree with all the suggestions.

Some of the names are good, “Sea Mantis” seems out of place, something more reptilian seems fitting. Okoto - Nui actually sounds alright, it mixes both and has a distinction between the Great spirit and the island. I like suva and if it simply was the word for shrine, I’d reckon it would work fine.

Perhaps Makuta could mean dark spirit? Or dark shadow?

Dark shadow sounds a little redundant IMO. If you want to go back to the Maori, “Makutu” is a word for malicious enchantments and sorcery; we could try out the idea of Makuta meaning “dark sage” or “witchcraft”.

In traditional Sioux culture, “medicine” pretty much just means power, so the phrase “bad medicine” has been used before. How about “dark medicine”?

I like the idea that “Okoto” would translate to “island”. So your “Okoto Nui” would translate to “the Big Island”. That way, the word Okoto would have a place in culture.

3 Likes

Okoto Nui doesn’t really roll off the tongue the way the other nui’s do, maybe shorten it to Koto Nui?

5 Likes

Ooh, I like it.

3 Likes

Dark Sage sounds good, perhaps it can allude to Makuta putting Mata Nui to sleep.

1 Like

If you can’t remember there names look it up. Cool pictures